RamWraith is offline Registered User

Pace to start camp on unable to perform list

ST. LOUIS (AP) — Seven-time Pro Bowl offensive tackle Orlando Pace is close to returning from a shoulder injury, but will begin training camp on the physically unable to perform list.

Rams coach Scott Linehan said Tuesday the team would be conservative with Pace, who tore the labrum and rotator cuff in his right shoulder in the second quarter of the 2007 season-opener against Carolina.

Linehan spoke to media as the team prepares to open training camp at Concordia University in Wisconsin. The first workout is Friday afternoon.

Pace missed the remainder of the season, and his injury was among several that left the offensive line in shambles, a big reason for the Rams' dismal 3-13 record.

It was the second straight season with a significant injury for the first overall pick of the 1997 draft. Pace suffered a season-ending left triceps tear in Seattle during Week 10 of 2006.

Linehan said Pace will be on the 80-man training camp roster, but will be brought along slowly.

"He'll be close, but I think we have to be a little conservative with our approach just because of what has happened," Linehan said. "He's in pretty good shape right now. His weight is right where we want it and it's just a matter of when we decide."

Trainer Jim Anderson and strength and conditioning coach Dana LeDuc have been working with Pace in his recovery.

A preliminary target date for Pace's return is the Aug. 9 preseason opener at Tennessee, Linehan said.

Also Tuesday, the Rams announced they have agreed to terms with linebacker David Vobora, the "Mr. Irrelevant" as the last player chosen in the 2008 draft. Terms of the three-year contract were not disclosed.

Vobora, from the University of Idaho, had 148 tackles and was All-Western Athletic Conference his senior season.

The Rams signed first-round pick (No. 2 overall) defensive end Chris Long on Sunday.

Only two of the team's draft picks remain unsigned - second-round selection Donnie Avery, a wide receiver from Houston, and fourth-round pick Justin King, a cornerback from Penn State.
    The Associated Press

maineram is offline Registered User

Re: Pace to start camp on unable to perform list

This is not good news for Pace & the Rams. But I suppose that there is two ways to look at it. The Rams are leaning on the side of caution or, he is simply not near ready. I was and am worried about Carriker who had both shoulders worked on this offseason. Sounds as though he is good to go.

We need to have an aggresive, mauling type of line for Saunders system to work. Pace is the corner stone for that.

Precautionary ..... please

Maine -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

TekeRam is offline Registered User

The point of all this is that Pace is very close and it was very possible that he could have been cleared. At this point I think it's much better for him to sit out a bit of camp and get into things slowly so that he's primed for the regular season, but doesn't risk any kind of setbacks.

Frickin half of Indy is on the PUP list and they'll be in the playoffs(you know it), and while we don't quite have that talent, we're not that far away. As long as Pace looks like himself week one, I could care less what he does in the preseason. That said, I'd still like to see him shake off the rust at some point before then too.

Get healthy Pace, you deserved to be on the 10 most indispensable players list from ESPN today!

general counsel is offline Registered User

no point in having him come back before he is 100% ready.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Just how important is it for a player who has been in the league for eleven years to participate in the blistering hot activities of training camp? Looks like they are being extremely cautious with his recovery. I'm ASSUMING (let it be known I'm not a doctor, nor have i played one on tv or even stayed at a holiday inn last night) that if the Rams were playing in the Super Bowl, or even playoffs, Big O would be out there banging heads and putting DE's on their backs. Granted it's a new system, but he can still learn things watching. Heck even if he wasn't hurt there's really no reason for him to put himself in harms way. Were talking about practice, man. Practice.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Maineram View Post
    We need to have an aggresive, mauling type of line for Saunders system to work. Pace is the corner stone for that.

Precautionary ... please.

Maine -

So true, my Maineram!

I also think we all agree with the Rams report of being careful with O.P. right now. We need to baby the big man for a few weeks then let him loose to be the monster that he is.

YodaRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    Just how important is it for a player who has been in the league for eleven years to participate in the blistering hot activities of training camp? Looks like they are being extremely cautious with his recovery. I'm ASSUMING (let it be known I'm not a doctor, nor have i played one on tv or even stayed at a holiday inn last night) that if the Rams were playing in the Super Bowl, or even playoffs, Big O would be out there banging heads and putting DE's on their backs. Granted it's a new system, but he can still learn things watching. Heck even if he wasn't hurt there's really no reason for him to put himself in harms way. Were talking about practice, man. Practice.
    Hey, Iverson.....i mean C-Mob, You're right. I think that it causes concern because we are not that far removed from the injuries from last year or Pace's injury the year before. Any rumble of a key player not being 100% ready at this point can cause a case of the "here we go again" blues. I'm not one. But i do have a lack of trust in our back-ups.
    So, i hope for the best! And I expect the best!

RAM ON!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by YodaRam View Post
    Hey, Iverson.....i mean C-Mob, You're right. I think that it causes concern because we are not that far removed from the injuries from last year or Pace's injury the year before. Any rumble of a key player not being 100% ready at this point can cause a case of the "here we go again" blues. I'm not one. But i do have a lack of trust in our back-ups.
    So, i hope for the best! And I expect the best!

RAM ON!
    I don't see a case of "here we go again" either, however, I also trust our backups more than I did last year, for one simple reason. Most of them were forced to start some last year and got some extensive PT before they went down to injury themselves.

As for the rookies, they were starters in their own right last year, albeit in college, but all in all, our line is pretty experienced, though not the way we would like.

In any case, this will let Greco get some practice with the first team at RT I would imagine, for a week at least until Barron slides back over when Pace comes back. Further, C-mob is quite right, Pace doesn't need to work himself to the bone out there. Just enough to gel with his linemates and shake off the rust.

thoey is offline Registered User

I just see it as a new way for Pace to hold out of training camp. I do not mean that in a negative way really, all those years he was franchised, he was still able to come in and perform.

I do think we need to start looking for a replacement for the old guy.
    This space for rent...

shower beers is offline Registered User

Not a game. A practice...

made me laugh.

This is the comeback year for Pace. Jackson's going to be breaking off some big runs to the left this year. I can feel it.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    no point in having him come back before he is 100% ready.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    agreed, better safe than sorry,we won't go very far without him, so make sure he is 100%