Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Pace Trade Rumor

The rumor is Pace to the Giants for tackle Luke Petitgout, corner Will Allen, and 3rd round pick.

Not sure where this started, so it could be just a standard 'net rumor. But I thought I'd mention it here to see what the Clan thought.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Pace Trade Rumor

I'd do it. Right now.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I think we could get better than that. This would weaken our O-line, add another body of equal value at corner and a 3rd rounder. I just don't see where this would be good for us.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

GSOT is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    I think we could get better than that. This would weaken our O-line, add another body of equal value at corner and a 3rd rounder. I just don't see where this would be good for us.
    It would also save us money to get other free agents. BTW luke is a very soild player.

ramhard is offline Registered User

info from Giants board on Allen CB

Below is boarding posting on Allen, and doesn't Luke Pettigot have back problems? For the #1 or #2 LT in the NFC seems like you either get a much higher draft choice than:

1. a non-impact corner in the last year of contract
    2. a decent LT with back problems
    3. a third rounder.

I'd trade Pace for a #1, and either a top LB or a top CB with some years left on fair contract if he is not willing to sign.

Posted: 2/13/05 1:24:04 pm
    Would you trade for Giants CB Will Allen? He's thought to be available for a late #1 or a high #2 pick.

The Giants are thinking about floating him at the draft because he's entering the final year of his contract, isn't as good as our other corner Will Peterson (who we just re-signed last season) yet was the higher draft pick of the two (1st compared to 3rd) and will undoubtedly feel he should to continue to be paid as such accordingly.

The good news is he has the speed to cover man to man, and he gets into position to make a play on the ball. He also tackles pretty well against the run and comes up quickly to support on passes into the flat on RB's and the FB even making the odd spectacular stop though he's not a big hitter.

The bad news is he has hands of stone for INT's, dropping the most soul-destroying, sure-thing, practically in the open field types of interceptions for TD's. As such, he gets bashed a bit by some fans who don't recognise the fact that just because he's the guy nearest the receiveer in the end zone, doesn;'t mean it was his coverage responsbility!

He also doesn't defend the underneath well against bigger guys because he plays backed off a lot and doesn't have the instincts to make the quick break that distinguishes between the completed pass and the pass being defensed or even picked off.

His salary for next year is under $1m so he comes cap friendly and should be signable to a long-term deal as part of any trade agreement.

You guys have surely seen him play, so what do you think?

Is he better than you can - currently - get on the open market and for less money? (The Colts do after all have considerable cap compications in future years when the piper has to be paid for Manning, Harrison and probably James.)

ramsfan1975 is offline Registered User

look guys we need a solid offensive line...we can have it without pace...if it means we can bolster up a defence spot, still have a decent tackle and get a draft pick then hell im all for it...not to mention the millions we will save in cap space........so the real question is would we trade pace if it will give us...a decent tackle, a good cb a draft pick and enough money to make a real hard try at hartwell? i see the team only getting stronger!

rampete is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    The rumor is Pace to the Giants for tackle Luke Petitgout, corner Will Allen, and 3rd round pick.

Not sure where this started, so it could be just a standard 'net rumor. But I thought I'd mention it here to see what the Clan thought.
    this is surely the workings of a mad/senile giants fan...

the value just isn't equitable...now, if the giants gave their #1 pick for 2006, petitigout and allen...

more words out of some dubious characters on the pd site is that pace has signed onto tom condon...

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by GSOT
    It would also save us money to get other free agents. BTW luke is a very soild player.
    How much money?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Here's an interesting concept using this rumor...

1. Trade Pace (-$8.42M) to the Giants for Petitgout (+$3.75M), Allen (+$2.28M), and a third round pick
    2. Trade a third round pick to the Cardinals for tackle LJ Shelton (+$3M)
    3. Sign Fred Miller to a reasonable 2-3 year deal

We'd still have two third round picks, but would have three guys who could work out for us at tackle. I believe if we traded for Petitgout, Allen, and Shelton and got rid of Pace, the net change in our cap would be an addition of just slightly more than $600,000.

Or, we could do something like this...

1. Trade Pace to Cleveland for a 2005 first round pick and safety Sean Jones and, if Cleveland is willing, a later Day 2 pick.
    2a. Use the Browns' 2005 first round pick to select a defensive player like OLB Derrick Johnson of Texas or CB Antrel Rolle of Miami, then use our own first round pick to select the best offensive lineman on the board at #19.
    2b. Trade down from the Browns' 2005 first round pick to acquire a somewhat lower first round pick, maybe between 10-14, then try to draft someone like Alex Barron, Thomas Davis, Pacman Jones, or Jammal Brown with that pick.

Just thinking out loud.

Ramsfan8503 is offline Registered User

are we crazy trading the best offensive linemen we have when our o line is what we need. if we want bulger to do what he can we cant have the best linemen leave to a team and get a 2nd rate lineman with back problems. come on were smarter than that

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

I'd do the trade. Luke Petigout is a solid starter and would be fine at left tackle, Will Allen is as good, if not better than our 2 corners right now, and another 3rd round pick could help us trade two of em up into the second round leaving us with two 2nd round picks.

This would also free a lot of cap room for years to come, and this year it could help us reel in a guy like Hartwell.

I mean, Orlando is one of the best in the league. But we can't keep playing this tag game. It's hurting the team more than it's helping it, and I don't think we'll be able to pay the price to tag him next year, so let's get something now while we still can.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsfan8503
    are we crazy trading the best offensive linemen we have when our o line is what we need. if we want bulger to do what he can we cant have the best linemen leave to a team and get a 2nd rate lineman with back problems. come on were smarter than that
    Are the Patriots crazy for releasing arguably the best cover corner in the league? Are the Panthers crazy for releasing a guy who had a Pro Bowl season last year? Are the Vikings crazy for trading one of the best deep receiving threats in football?

Need goes both ways - one, your team needs skill at certain positions, but two, your team also needs space under the cap to orchestrate the best team possible. If Pace has no intention of signing long term this spring, I think he needs to be dealt.

Chrisbob Guest

Well, seems this rumour is growing stronger:

Rams talk to the Giants about trade for Pace

Rams talk to the Giants about trade for Pace

By Jim Thomas
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    02/25/2005

INDIANAPOLIS - It might be nothing more than a trial balloon on the part of the Rams, but the club has talked at least preliminarily with the New York Giants about the possibility of trading left tackle Orlando Pace.

Rumors fly fast and furious during NFL scouting combine week, and trade feelers are sent out repeatedly. But the fact the Rams would even bring up Pace's name is a telling indication that the club may be tired of playing the franchise tag game with Pace.

This month, Pace was named the team's franchise player for the third year in a row. This year, he counts $8.4 million against the cap, or nearly one-tenth of the Rams' $85.5 million salary cap for 2005. A multiyear contract could cut Pace's cap number in half, freeing up much-needed dollars for the team to pursue outside free agents or re-sign their own.

Giants officials played down the talks, but some reports in New York have gone so far as to mention offensive tackle Luke Petitgout and cornerback Will Allen as potential trade bait with the Rams.

Rams coach Mike Martz could not be reached to comment Friday.

Complicating any trade possibilities with Pace is the fact that he does not have an agent. Under league rule, Pace must be under contract before any trade.

Faulk's deal is for 4 years

Marshall Faulk's restructured contract with the club is for four years, not the two years reported by several media outlets and the Faulk camp itself. Faulk apparently plans to play only two more years, but his actual contract is for four years and just under $12 million.

He still gets $2 million to sign, and $2 million base salaries in 2005 and '06. But contrary to some reports, there are no incentives in the contract. The four-year deal spreads out the cap count. As a result, Faulk's new deal saves the club about $3 million this year instead of the $1.5 million that would have been the case in a two-year deal.

Extra points

The Rams have expressed some interest in trading for defensive tackle Jeff Zgonina, a former Ram now with Miami.

The Rams continue to work on a modest multiyear deal to retain free safety Antuan Edwards, who's scheduled for unrestricted free agency next week.

A part of me has to wonder if the Rams are just doing this to get Pace's attention so he comes back into the real world. The guy doesn't even have an agent, and if the Rams are seriously thinking about trading him, Pace would have to work out a long-term contract with his new team. Maybe the front office thinks that if Pace hears his name in some trade rumors, he'll get back on the boat and find some representation. Then again, this is a pretty crappy way of trying to bring a guy to the table.

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

The Rams front office should pull out all the tricks and deceptions when it comes to Pace,and I dont care how crappy it sounds.Pace has done it to the team so lets see how he likes it, so lets cheat to get him signed long term.
    Last edited by psycho9985; -02-02-2006 at 10:21 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast