Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Pace to be traded...Balzer

Thought you all might like the info...

Balzer stated yesterday on 1380 that from what he has found out that he thinks Pace is going to be traded.

Pace's agents, while not asking for Poston money, are looking for a deal that is structured very similar to the deal that Walter Jones just signed. The problem with the deal is not the signing bonus but the amount of guaranteed money and high base salary that Jones has in the first couple of years in his new deal. Apparently the size of the deal will kill the Rams' cap situation next year (anticipating Turley dead money) and they are unable to give him that deal.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...81_hawk17.html

The five-time Pro Bowl left tackle will make about $21 million this year, which includes a signing bonus of between $16 million and $17 million. He figures to make about $27 million over the first three years of the deal.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Pace to be traded...Balzer

You know what....if he can get it more power to him. Football has to be one the most brutal occupations around. I know, I see Earl Campbell on occassion.

Shadesofgrey Guest

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    You know what....if he can get it more power to him. Football has to be one the most brutal occupations around. I know, I see Earl Campbell on occassion.
    Agreed....I teach with Brent McClanahan who played 9 years at fullback for the Vikings back in the 70's. He walks like a 80 year old, has chronic arthritus, and just had a plate put in his neck because his vertabrae basically dissolved. There is no amount of money worth what this guy has to endure when he wakes up in the morning...

rampete Guest

pace is a very good lineman but if the last 5 superbowls champs have shown anything, it's that you don't need a superstar OLT to win the big show... unfortunately, the rams and martz throw the ball in a disproportional amount...

maybe this will force martz's hand into running the rbs more...

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Football can be brutal, but these guys are getting well paid. They are making the choice. Money often wins over other things, such as health.

The original football players did not get the money of today's world, and they played because it was a job to them and because they loved it. Those days are gone.

I am glad that the Front office is being smart about this Pace situation. He is is not worth a gigantic hit against the cap even if the market value has been set that high.

Maybe Martz will be forced into running the ball more without Pace on the line. I can't imagine that that would be a bad thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I know utter, I agree they are paid handsomely, but to see Earl Campbell the way he is now due to football is just heart breaking. These guys take some brutal punishment. I don't blame any player for taking the bank.

Heck, I remember watching Darryl Stingley become paralyzed IN A PRESEASON GAME. The worst thing I get at my job is complaints.

Scidog68 Guest

Afraid I gotta go with Utter on this one. He's a great player, but at some point you have to balance the good of the team with the value of one player. Can this organization afford, over the long term, the hit Pace will make to our Cap without improving our situation from last year? I would probably say no, unfortunately. Walter jones set the bar a bit out of our range, considering the other needs we have that are just as important as maintaining the status quo. IMHO, that is.

Scidog68 Guest

Having made my previous post, I must say that I believe he is worth a nice comp package. This could turn out to be a great boon to us, if anyone bites. My friend thinks I'm F-in crazy, do you?

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I know utter, I agree they are paid handsomely, but to see Earl Campbell the way he is now due to football is just heart breaking. These guys take some brutal punishment. I don't blame any player for taking the bank.

Heck, I remember watching Darryl Stingley become paralyzed IN A PRESEASON GAME. The worst thing I get at my job is complaints.
    Watching people in pain is never fun tx. People get old. Bodies don't heal or work right over time. Many people that do physical jobs suffer from their work. It is part of their job. Accounting obviously does not cause physical pain, except for pain from sitting too much.

I have a hard time watching the guy, who lives across the street from me, run around in his wheelchair. He is younger than me and he broke his back diving into a pond. He used to ride motorcycles, drive fast cars, and make big money in some high tech job. I know he has suffered and will continue to struggle through life and his injury happened due to his own stupidity. Life is not always fair or good.

I have a hard time feeling sorry for today's athletes. They make a lot of money. They don't need to remain in football. They can take the money, invest it, and live like normal people.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Scidog68
    Having made my previous post, I must say that I believe he is worth a nice comp package. This could turn out to be a great boon to us, if anyone bites. My friend thinks I'm F-in crazy, do you?
    Would that comp package include a 1st round pick this year or next? If this year, you might be able to get both Brown and Barnes at cap friendly prices. Would that be a possibility?

alright.....hmmmmmm

Scidog68 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by viper3
    Would that comp package include a 1st round pick this year or next? If this year, you might be able to get both Brown and Barnes at cap friendly prices. Would that be a possibility?

One can always hope. I'm not saying he isn't worth it, I just don't think the FO is going to hold out that hard for him. Money talks and two or three later picks can be more affordable and possibly more fruitful, at this point. Of course, I've been known to be borderline idiot when it comes to making choices, so look for the opposite of whatever I say to come to pass.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

if he can get it more power to him.
    I really don't think it's a matter of "if," but rather "when." Look at some of the huge free agent signings of this season. Guys like Jonas Jennings ($12M), Gary Baxter ($10.5M), Anthony Henry ($10M), LaMont Jordan ($15.7M in guaranteed money over the first three years). These are second-tier players that are making HUGE amounts of money. I really don't think the Rams are going to have a problem finding a team that will pay Pace the big bucks. The problem is going to be finding a team that's going to trade the kind of compensation the Rams are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by rampete
    pace is a very good lineman but if the last 5 superbowls champs have shown anything, it's that you don't need a superstar OLT to win the big show... unfortunately, the rams and martz throw the ball in a disproportional amount...

maybe this will force martz's hand into running the rbs more...
    True, but the last five Super Bowl champs haven't been running our offense and succeeding without a superstar LT. This situation presents us with two questions - one, can we run our offense efficiently without a stud left tackle watching our quarterback's blind side, and two, if we can't, is it time to alter the offensive gameplan to better fit the personnel we have if Pace is moved?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

I think everyone is missing my point here. I don't care about guaranteed money, non guaranteed money, or monopoly money. These players who live in the trenches and the players who hit and get hit on almost every play have a life expectancy in the 50's. I don't fault any player anytime playing this game on artificial turf for making more money than the New Guinea's military budget cubed.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Well since we won't have Pace's big bucks this means we have about $12M left on the cap right. Let's get some big names on defense. I'm talkin Ed Hartwell and Jamie Sharper kinda guys.

It's all about defense now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast