Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    viper is offline Registered User

Re: Pace to be traded...Balzer

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZagRam
    Well since we won't have Pace's big bucks this means we have about $12M left on the cap right. Let's get some big names on defense. I'm talkin Ed Hartwell and Jamie Sharper kinda guys.

It's all about defense now.
    ...and a tale of two tackles.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

We should probably go out and get a few more QB's. Because it looks like we might be needing them.

general counsel Guest

We would need to take about $3 million and immediately call aflac for supplemental life and casualty insurance on bulger. I appreciate the money problems, but the fact is to me, he is a more irreplaceable element in our offense than anyone else we have ever had, with the exception of faulk at his peak, and even in that case faulk was a running back, a position that offers shorter career spans.

Here is my caveat. If martz changes the offense, maybe its a different story. I dont see that happening. We are already without a right tackle, trading pace away may help money wise and may help in the long run, but i sure dont see how it is going to help us win in 2005.

general counsel

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

They make a lot of money. They don't need to remain in football. They can take the money, invest it, and live like normal people.
    The exact reason Barry Sanders left in his prime.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Ultimately this is up to Pace. The FO has parameters they have to work within (vet minimum & salary cap), Pace does not. He can shoot for the money and if that is his reality, so be it. Tx is right. This is Pace's career and just like we want our boss to pay us as much as we can get, so does he. I know I wouldn't take a lower than market value income from my boss; I'd find an employer that would. I don't like it either, but that's his right. If he doesn't want to fish, then we need to cut bait. It's been a great ride, but his value to us now is equivalent to what another team will give us for him.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

moklerman is offline Registered User

A couple of people have mentioned that Pace is fairly essential in running "our offense". If that's the by-product, I say get rid of Pace. This offense is in desperate need of evolution. Maybe losing Pace (but gaining all that cap-space!) will encourage Martz to improve upon the pedestrian offense of last year. Whether it's conforming to a more traditional style or coming up with something completely new again, this offense isn't the powerhouse that it once was and has struggled in the red zone for two years now. At some point, you have to look beyond the players and question the scheme.

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    I think everyone is missing my point here. I don't care about guaranteed money, non guaranteed money, or monopoly money. These players who live in the trenches and the players who hit and get hit on almost every play have a life expectancy in the 50's. I don't fault any player anytime playing this game on artificial turf for making more money than the New Guinea's military budget cubed.
    Given that
    New Guinea's Military Budget in 1988 was $37,000,000, that would make the payment $50,653,000,000,000,000,000,000.00, not allowing for inflation.

(also known as about 50 sextillion dollars, cubing big numbers does funny things)

How many years will we have to spread that out to stay within the salary cap?

moklerman is offline Registered User

Nice job, "rookie". You're already funnier than...others on this board.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

One of my huge issues with Martz is that he loves the passing game so much that he doesn't look at other options. The Rams are not a running team and they have Faulk and Jackson. Wacky.

Martz is not trying to protect Bulger. How many times have we seen Bulger in for the whole game this year when the Rams have gotten blown out? There is a time and a place to put in the second string players. How about the Atlanta playoff game with Martz leaving Bulger in for the whole game and having him run plays until the clock finally ticked to zero. What was that for? To prove that we are going to play to the last second, no matter the score. To postpone the Falcons celebration. Whatever the reason, Martz left Bulger out there, risking injury to a key player, for no reason.

If Martz was interested in protecting Bulger, it would make more sense to keep Pace, but Bulger already has a limited life.

I think letting Pace go is a good idea.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

viper is offline Registered User

Welcome Cowboyhater! The thing that you miss here though is they wouldn't have a GREAT starting left tackle that you could use for trade bait! Of course, you might have to cut back on a few tanks and highways or food, but heck you have to set your priorities somewhere! :redface:
    Last edited by viper; -03-12-2005 at 07:50 PM.

Yodude is offline Registered User

Sign him or trade him, who cares, just get it over with one way or the other. The way Martz plays offense, our QB's life expectancy is 3-4 years tops anyway.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyhater
    Given that
    New Guinea's Military Budget in 1988 was $37,000,000, that would make the payment $50,653,000,000,000,000,000,000.00, not allowing for inflation.

(also known as about 50 sextillion dollars, cubing big numbers does funny things)

CH, you're going to fit in well around here.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

About Running versus Passing .. Faulk has been slow out of the gate for about 3 years.... Jackson just showed up and

I don't think he have the hosses to open up holes for a GREAT running game. You have to have holes for even the BEST RB. When they earnestly tried to run, Jackson was running into brick walls.

Pace is not a team player. Something is missing upstairs. He says he wants to sign and cans his agent and then doesn't sign or have an agent for 10 months !!

Pace is overall very selfish. He shouldn't have been in the Pro-Bowl this year, no doubt about that. He's very talented, but he doesn't want to work hard and he doesn't want to be the very best. He wants to play when he has too and collect a check.

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

Sounds like that folks are coming around to my way of thinking. Opie has priced himself out of the Ram's league.

ARF

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Pace is an I, ME ,MINE kinda guy! Hasn't done dick by way of helping his team! No Camp, No Pre-Season and flat outta shape! F,em! I'm a little tried of his ****!!!!!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12