Thread: Pace Update

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Thumbs down Pace Update

Bernie Miklasz
    2/16/08

Rams offensive tackle Orlando Pace, making a good recovery from shoulder surgery, has restored 80 percent of the strength in the shoulder. Pace has been working extra hard in the weight room at Rams Park this offseason.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Re: Pace Update

The last two years we have been playing with fill-ins at Left Tackle. Can you imagine the impact Pace would have on the team if he is committed to getting back to a Probowl level.

The team with a healthy, committed, and hungary Pace at LT would see a major upgrade in OL play. We have played the last two years without a Pro Bowl LT and that is the most important spot on the OL (QB's blind side).

IMO when Pace was healthy I thought he started declining a bit because he was living off his talent and not hard work. I think the two years off could be good for him. He already knows how to play the position and now he may be more hungary and committed to performing at his best.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -02-17-2008 at 11:18 AM.

Ramer is offline Registered User

THat is great news. Sounds like he should be back to 100% by training camp.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    The last two years we have been playing with fill-ins at Left Tackle. Can you imagine the impact Pace would have on the team if he is committed to getting back to a Probowl level.

The team with a healthy, committed, and hungary Pace at LT would see a major upgrade in OL play. We have played the last two years without a Pro Bowl LT and that is the most important spot on the OL (QB's blind side).

IMO when Pace was healthy I thought he started declining a bit because he was living off his talent and not hard work. I think the two years off could be good for him. He already knows how to play the position and now he may be more hungary and committed to performing at his best.
    I agree and I hope you're right on your predictions. Physically if this heals properly and I don't know why it wouldn't then Pace should be able to play a few years more, being 32 years old is not neccessarily the end for a tackle. If he is 100% dedicated I think he could have maybe two or three more good years left in him (for example I believe KC's Willie Roaf was 36 when he retired and he was very good his whole career). I just hope that Pace is mentally completely dedicated to coming back and being the best possible player he can, because I do agree that he had been living a little too much on his talent and not going the extra mile to really excel the last couple of years. If he's dedicated and hungry I believe he could be a top tackle again this year.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Great, great news. This is turning out to be a pretty good off season. Lets hope it continues.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

This is good news, it'll be great news if he stays healthy.

Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

IMO when Pace was healthy I thought he started declining a bit because he was living off his talent and not hard work.
    Go ahead and tell us all about Pace's work ethic.
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

bigredman is offline Registered User

I agree. I never got the impression, nor have I heard any criticism from coaches or players that Pace has been slacking off in his dedication to conditioning or practice. His is one of the most demanding jobs in the NFL. You always have the best pass rushers to contend with, and the rigors of playing the line takes it toll. Plus the fact that these guys have to carry so much weight makes it tough to stay healthy. Any fall off of Pace's performance I believe can be attributed to wear and tear and injury. Orlando is a prideful man, and I am sure he will get back in shape and back on the field as soon as he can, then he'll be out to prove he's as good if not better than he was before.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

thoey is offline Registered User

I'm not so sure. There was a discussion on this board within the last two years where I mentioned that Big O "seemed" to be getting beat a little more often than he did in years prior and there were some that agreed with me. Just seemed like his heart wasn't in it. That and I think DE's are getting faster and stronger.

I like hearing that he is working hard. And I would love for him to return to Pro Bowl form. He is a very important piece to our OLine puzzle. We'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.
    This space for rent...

txramsfan is offline Registered User

He seemed to stay healthy when he was a holdout of training camp.....maybe he should just skip for GP

Rammed is offline Registered User

I tend to agree, it's silly but the times he has been in camp he got hurt.

Is that just pure dumb luck or his dedication combined with the stress on his body and age........
    Last edited by Rammed; -02-21-2008 at 11:17 AM.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Just dumb luck. Virtually all injuries are just dumb luck... but they can occur more often with a crappy training staff and carelessness on the part of the player when it comes to keeping loose and stretched out.

Or when you head butt a wall...

Big-Dave314 is offline Registered User

good news hopefully he can stay healthy this year

LinkBacks (?)

1. -02-17-2008, 11:11 AM