Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ramhard is offline Registered User

Pace visiting Houston Texans - from J. Clayton

Orlando Pace's days as the franchise player of the St. Louis Rams may be coming to an end.

Two days before a March 16 deadline to get a long-term contract with the Rams, Pace and his new agent, Kennard McGuire, flew to Houston on Monday to visit the Texans with hope of facilitating a trade that would end his eight-year career as the Rams left tackle.

The Rams have franchised him for three consecutive years. Under terms of the franchise designation, the Rams have until March 16 to work out a long-term contract and regain the ability to franchise a player next year. Any long agreement reached between March 16 and July 15 would cost the team the franchise tag for the length of that contract.

Pace and the Rams have been discussing a long-term deal for the past two weeks. At different points during the past month, there have been thoughts that the Rams would either trade Pace or that the former Ohio State offensive line would ask to be traded.

The fact that Pace is spending Monday in Houston shows that he is willing to move to a different team. It's his right as an unsigned franchise player to visit other teams and talk contract, but the timing of Monday's visit signifies questions in his mind whether he can get a long-term deal done with the Rams.

The 29-year-old former first-round pick recently hired McGuire and Fletcher Smith two weeks ago after not having an agent since the middle of the season. McGuire, who accompanied Pace on the trip to Houston, was unavailable for comment.

The Rams would have to receive two first-round picks if Pace signs an offer sheet, but if Pace's intentions are to go to the Texans, it would be more likely the two teams would have to work out a trade for a first-round choice and something more. At the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, the New York Giants and a couple other teams heard initial inquiries from the Rams about the possibility of trading Pace.

Those thoughts died down when Pace hired his new agents. The Rams were excited about Pace hiring agents in time to do a long-term contract before the start of their offseason program.

Pace was the first selection in the 1997 draft. He signed his first contract Aug. 16 after a long holdout. He's been to two Super Bowls and two Pro Bowls as a Ram.

The 6-7, 325-pound Pace played his college ball at Ohio State.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Pace visiting Houston Texans - from J. Clayton

Not a good sign for working out a long term deal. Not at all. The fact that he's elsewhere when time still remains to talk contract with the Rams makes me think his signing before the 16th is basically not an option at this point.

Acquiring Houston's first round pick in this year's draft guarantees us Jammal Brown if not Alex Barron if that's the direction we want to go. We could either package that pick with our's to move up to acquire a different player (Derrick Johnson? Antrel Rolle?), or take Barron/Brown at 13 and then another player (maybe even the tackle we skipped over) at 19. The Rams may be able to gain a defensive player in this trade as well.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

For those keeping score at home, according to the pick value chart from nfldraftblitz.com, the 13th and 19th picks would get you the 4th pick and some change.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

The Rams would have to receive two first-round picks if Pace signs an offer sheet, but if Pace's intentions are to go to the Texans, it would be more likely the two teams would have to work out a trade for a first-round choice and something more.
    So here's something you may find humorous. After reading this, I venture over to a Texans website to hear the scuttlebutt, and they are talking about how there's no way the Texans would give the Rams their first pick. They said that (and I quote), "the Rams would probably take a 2nd round or even 3rd round for him (Pace)". I almost lost control of my bladder due to excessive laughter.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Like I've said in other Posts, the Rams FO knows that Pace HAS TO GO.

This article states the RAMS were excited...

We won't get as much for Pace as most Ram's fans think because his play has diminished. I don't know if Pace is going to cooperate, he seems to be a headcase. Remember, how he insinuated he would dump his agents and wanted to get a deal done after the STL Today ran a large article uncomplimentary of him. He kept the Postons for almost a year after that and never signed.

We definitely need to get rid of Pace ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    Remember, how he insinuated he would dump his agents and wanted to get a deal done after the STL Today ran a large article uncomplimentary of him. He kept the Postons for almost a year after that and never signed.
    It was the latter half of March 2004 when Pace said he probably would have accepted a deal with a $16-17M signing bonus. He dumped his agent two weeks into September. The time works out to be slightly less than six months, not "almost a year."

rampete is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    For those keeping score at home, according to the pick value chart from nfldraftblitz.com, the 13th and 19th picks would get you the 4th pick and some change.

well, considering this draft doesn't have any consensus top 5 pick, the dolphins at #2 or even browns at #3 may be willing to trade for the #13 and #19...

but the rams would be making a mistake moving up to the top 4...barron is not head and shoulders above brown and barnes imo...

i think the rams should stay at 13 and get the best OT available in brown or barnes and go for defense with the 19th in players like davis FS/SS/OLB of georgia or james DE of wisconsin...

We also should keep in mind that this is not much different than the Cleveland talks of last spring, besides the fact that this time Pace is actually on the road as well. I can't help but think that Sharper or Foreman with a first round pick isn't going to cut it after the Rams signed both Claiborne and Coakley to the linebacker unit. Pace and his agent taking a trip to Texas doesn't spell good things for working out a pre-March 16th deal, but I'm not sure it means a trade is near, either.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

A few trade thoughts of mine:

1.) 1st Rd. Pick + Todd Wade - Wade is a solid RT and we could spend the early first round pick on Alex Barron. Or go defense with the first pick and take Khalif Barnes with the second.

2.) Jay Foreman + Seth Wand - I think Foreman could handle the SAM position better than Sharper but I'm sure he'd be better in the middle. I'd hate to shift Claiborne back outside. Wand could be a decent stop gap for the rookie OT we'd take with the 1st Rd. pick.

3.) (My Favorite Idea) 1st Rd. Pick and Marcus Coleman - This would answer our secondary questions and once again we could use the high pick on Alex Barron. He can play both CB and FS.
    Last edited by ZigZagRam; -03-14-2005 at 05:07 PM.

I'd take a first, tackle Seth Wand, and safety Glen Earl.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

I'd rather have Marcus Coleman. I think we're fine at SS and Earl is more of a strong safety. I'd rather have Coleman who can play both FS and CB.

rampete is offline Registered User

here's another trade thought:

1st rounder in 2006, and a 2nd rounder in this draft...

the rams oline will be:

barnes LT
    tercero LG
    mccollum C
    timmerman RG
    saipaia RT

Coleman's 31-years-old and isn't getting any younger. I'd rather get a guy like Earl who could add depth at safety and possibly compete for a starting job so that Pisa could move back to Will LB.

tim
    tim is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rampete
    here's another trade thought:

1st rounder in 2006, and a 2nd rounder in this draft...

the rams oline will be:

barnes LT
    tercero LG
    mccollum C
    timmerman RG
    saipaia RT
    although fans will scream that we should have had '05 1st rounder, this could be the better trade. Of course, the Texans could turn everything around and we get a low '06 1st rounder, but the tackles in '06 are much better than this years. With any luck we could draft another franchise LT next year...

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Do it the Martz way and trade pace for Carr.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast