RamWraith is offline Registered User

Packers fans turn Dome into home away from home

By Bill Coats 12/16/2007 6:30 pm

With biting temperatures, snow on the ground and Cheeseheads patrolling downtown, you’d have thought you were in the shadow of Lambeau Field. Sunday’s Rams-Green Bay game was played inside the Edward Jones Dome, but the atmosphere was decidedly pro-Packers.

That fact did not escape the hometown players.

*Running back Steven Jackson: “It’s a joke, simple as that. The whole first level was Green Bay Packers fans. And then we’re allowing them to put up signs. It’s a joke . . . it’s a joke.”

*Safety Oshiomogho Atogwe: “It is what it is. I have no control over the crowd. . . . We can’t force anyone to do anything.”

*Linebacker Will Witherspoon: “That’s a sad story. . . . It was a little surprising to see more people in your house than your team. It just makes it a road game for us.”

*Quarterback Marc Bulger: “Our fans that came, we appreciate them. We know how loyal the Green Bay fans are. . . . (The Packers are) having a great year. Their fans are excited; you could hear them pregame, all the chatter. It looks like an exciting time to play for that team. It reminds you of college a lot.”

Atogwe had two more interceptions, giving him seven for the season and tying him with Seattle cornerback Marcus Trufant for the NFC lead. Atogwe has picked off passes in five of the last six games.

After his second interception Sunday, he got a congratulatory hand slap from QB Brett Favre. “He just basically slapped my hand and I slapped his hand; it was just like, ‘good play, good play,’” Atogwe said.

Still, he was thrilled by the gesture. “Brett Favre is one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play this game, so it’s an honor for me to receive an interception from him,” Atogwe said. “I was excited to get one, and to get two, it’s truly a blessing.”

Outtakes from the 33-19 loss that dropped the Rams to 3-11, with Pittsburgh coming to town Thursday night:

>>TWO FOR THE RECORD BOOKS: On the same day that Brett Favre broke Dan Marino’s NFL record for career passing yards, Rams WR Isaac Bruce moved into fourth place in career receiving yards. Favre, 38, threw for 227 yards, giving him a total of 61,405 for his 17-year career. “I’m honored,” Favre said. “To pass a guy like Dan Marino . . . I’ve never considered myself in the same league as Dan Marino, maybe the greatest passer ever.”

Bruce, 35, had four catches for 72 yards, pushing his total to 13,983 for his 14-year career. He passed Indianapolis’ injured Marvin Harrison. Bruce declined to speak with reporters after the game.

>>PLAY OF THE DAY: Leading 20-14, the Packers faced third-and-10 with just over 6 minutes to go in the third period. The Rams blitzed Favre, and he hurriedly lofted the ball down the middle of the field. Because of miscommunication between Atogwe and CB Ron Bartell, WR Greg Jennings was wide open some 15 yards behind the defense. He hauled in the pass and waltzed into the end zone for a 44-yard score and a two-TD Packers edge.

>>GAME BALLS: Rams - RB Steven Jackson (24 carries, 143 yards, 46-yard TD run; four catches, 27 yards). Packers – LB Nick Barnett (13 tackles, including two sacks, in the unofficial press box stats).

>>HE SAID IT: “When you jump offsides and get holding calls and give up a sack, and you have to overcome that plus go 80 or 90 yards each time, it’s hard to score points.” – Scott Linehan.

All for now. . .

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Packers fans turn Dome into home away from home

Sunday’s Rams-Green Bay game was played inside the Edward Jones Dome, but the atmosphere was decidedly pro-Packers.
    I got to tell you, I'm torn on this issue. On one hand, those tickets belong to whoever paid the money for them, and if those owners wish to make a buck instead of utilizing the tickets themselves; then who are any of us to tell them otherwise. Free market capitalism is just the American way. And if the organization is not putting a quality product on the field, should the owner feel compelled to buy it (in this case not sell their ticket to a willing buyer)?

OTOH, what kind of "fan" would facilitate a Trojan Horse by selling their tickets to anonymous e-bay buyers? Not much of a "fan" if they bail in the hard times, huh?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Guitarzan-54 is offline Registered User

It's MONEY, and it's Christmas time. Everyone could use the extra cash...especially if the team is NOT putting out a worthy product.
    Would you go to a store and pay for a dysfunctional stereo, TV....toaster?
    That's all it is. If the RAMS were doing great, those fans would be there.
    I can't blame them. I would show my anger in my team the same way.
    Actually, it makes a bold, and great statement to the franchise.
    It says "Get you're act together, or we're out of here, and you can play for the opponents' fans.

We're not PAYING for this crap anymore."

BRAVO to those that sold their tickets.

Just maybe...it rang some bells.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Would you go to a store and pay for a dysfunctional stereo, TV....toaster?
    I completely understand what you're saying. And I'm certainly not saying you're wrong.

However, I'm not a fan of a stereo. I don't wear jerseys with my favorite TV on it. And I don't wait with baited breath on Sundays to see how my toaster performs. Shouldn't a fan based sport bear more loyalty than an appliance?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I got to tell you, I'm torn on this issue. On one hand, those tickets belong to whoever paid the money for them, and if those owners wish to make a buck instead of utilizing the tickets themselves; then who are any of us to tell them otherwise. Free market capitalism is just the American way. And if the organization is not putting a quality product on the field, should the owner feel compelled to buy it (in this case not sell their ticket to a willing buyer)?

OTOH, what kind of "fan" would facilitate a Trojan Horse by selling their tickets to anonymous e-bay buyers? Not much of a "fan" if they bail in the hard times, huh?
    Those are good points, both of them. I don't know how to feel either. Just looking at the sports side of things it's a shame we have to play our home games somewhere where it's essentially a neutral field (at best) - that won't help us win any games and puts us as a franchise at a disadvantage compared to other teams. But on the individual level, I'm not sure I can blame a guy for selling his ticket, who wants to go pay a lot of dollars every week to watch a failure? If this continues maybe we'll be moving on to another city in a few years just to get a new beginning. Back to LA? Crazy bold move to Mexico as the first team to relocate outside of the US? Some third place? If/when Georgia dies moving somewhere would become more likely as well I think.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

there really is two sides to this story,I can relate to both angles,as far as this game the country has a love affair with Favre and the packers and they also have a hugh following,you would see this support at any game,any stadium,maybe not as much as yesterday but because Rams tickets are so plentiful right now it was easy for them to get tickets.if you couple this with the fact that the Rams are horrible right now thats why the dome looks like it does.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

When a person purchases season tickets there's no guarantee that the team is going to win. A "REAL" fan buys the tickets because they want to see the RAMS play, period.

The people that own season tickets and then sell them because the team isn't doing well should be shot!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

At least our offense didn't have to go to a silent count because of visiting fans making too much noise, like they did last year when Bears came to town and made the EJD their home away from home.:x

Holt Your Horses is offline Registered User

I would have no qualms with rams fans not attending games if the management had displayed years and years of terrible decision making that resulted in dissapointing season after dissapointing season, but lets face it the rams are plagued by injuries and we are left with second, third and fourth stringers trying to compete in a very competitive league, and the fans abandoned them.

The last couple of years the Rams have fielded competitive teams that have pushed for the playoffs and superbowls, one bad year filled with injuries and everyone leaves, it just reflects very badly on the football fandom of the St.louis Rams.

Would the Greenbay Packers fans sell their tickets to rams fans in a opposite situation? i dont think so.. they go to watch they're players play and i think the players respond to it.
    Defence Wins Championships

Keenum is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I completely understand what you're saying. And I'm certainly not saying you're wrong.

However, I'm not a fan of a stereo. I don't wear jerseys with my favorite TV on it. And I don't wait with baited breath on Sundays to see how my toaster performs. Shouldn't a fan based sport bear more loyalty than an appliance?
    Couldn't have said it better.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I think the real question might be is St Louis a football town? Did they fill the stadium with the St Louis Cardinals? Have they done any better with the Rams? Some towns don't care about football. Maybe St Louis is one of the them.

Certainly other teams have some very loyal fans that will travel distance and spend money to support their teams.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

yodachu is offline Registered User

I think its all about the Ws in win column. If this team were winning, the Rams fans wouldn't do this, at least I hope not.