Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By NJ Ramsfan1
  • 1 Post By berg8309

Thread: Paralysis by over analysis

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Paralysis by over analysis

Its officially the "off season" and the experts are burning up the airways with their analysis of everything football--which today is the new breed of QB, A.K.A. Russell Wilson. Just like last season's discussion was the declining role of the RB in the NFL.

Rather then discussing the new model QBs and their impact in today's NFL, I am more torn with the idea I should just stop watching ESPN/NFL NETWORK till next season. For it seems the NFL has gone down this road before. Remembering, long before Wilson put on a pair of cleats there we mobile QBs, notably R. Cunningham (Eagles/Vikings) K. Stewart (Steelers) and more recently M. Vick.

Not to diminish the accomplishment of R. Wilson this past 2013 season. He even surprised me that he actually won Super Bowl 48 as a QB. But if history is any road map, these mobile QBs tend to have several good seasons and eventually fall off the map.

Most of today's elite QBs are your conventional pocket-passers, Brady, Manning brothers, Rodgers, Breeze, etc. As much as they are a real asset to a team, they are also a real liability. Peyton's resent SB appearance proves the point. Keep the passing pocket clean, having a strong ground game, and creative plays and play calling, are game winning solutions on offense.

Which brings the Rams into the discussion. Already another tool in DC Williams has been added to the tool box. So where else do the Rams look to maintain parity in the NFC West to gain dominance. Sadly it seems, that unless the Rams makes serious moves in FA, the Rams will be outside looking in for the next two seasons.

Fans around Ram's nation are not entirely thrilled with the O-line this 2013 season. But we all recognize a need to be able to stretch the field to make plays and score more points. Plus a pickup or two on defense seems to be on "wish list" as well.

There it would seem having two top draft picks available seems to be the only answer to get those elements by trading down and picking up more later round picks.

There it seems the experts opinions seem to have I a cord. A lot of the Seagull team have lots of 4th round players on their squad.

Perhaps it will indeed be too long an offseason--since the Rams FO and coaching staff tend to be tight-lipped as to their plans for the future

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: Paralysis by over analysis

Several thoughts:

1) I'm completely disinterested in the two weeks of nonsense that precedes the Super Bowl and the week long drivel that follows. I watch and listen to very little of either. Bring on baseball season.

2) I cannot for the life of me understand how people can continue to be critical of our offensive line's performance this season. They did an admirable job for much of the season despite the usual musical chairs act the coaches had to play due to various injuries. We need upgrades here, and the Long injury is a big concern, but implying the line "wasn't very good" simply isn't true.

3) Russell Wilson doesn't scare me in the least. That is not to say he isn't a good player (nor a good story for Seahawk fans), but his Super Bowl performance was nothing special. His strength is as a game manager who runs a steady but unspectacular offense, doesn't turn the ball over, and relies on his defense and Marshawn Lynch. There is nothing wrong with this approach, but claims of Russell Wilson being "the next wave of anything" are completely ridiculous. If he didn't have a great defense and Lynch helping him out he'd be Terrelle Pryor. Ok, maybe that's a bit harsh, but the guy is not a phenom.

4) The draft is as much luck as it is anything else. Making "finds" in the 4th round is easier said than done; if it were that easy, all teams would make them. The Rams have been relatively successful the past couple of years with finding low round talent but have also missed on some players.
    VegasRam, laram0, chiguy and 1 others like this.

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

Wilson didn't run the ball that much, although his scrambling ability allowed him to extend plays. But the Broncos were missing Von Miller and often had breakdowns in containment due to the fact their defensive ends and OLBs were not too great. I doubt Wilson would be able to extend plays like that against the Rams next year, given the presence of Long, Quinn and an improving Alex Ogletree

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Wilson didn't run the ball that much, although his scrambling ability allowed him to extend plays. But the Broncos were missing Von Miller and often had breakdowns in containment due to the fact their defensive ends and OLBs were not too great. I doubt Wilson would be able to extend plays like that against the Rams next year, given the presence of Long, Quinn and an improving Alex Ogletree
    Heck he wasn't really able to do it this year. In the first game against the Rams he went 10-18 and was sacked 7 times. 80 of his eye-popping 139 yards came on one pass to Golden Tate.

In the second game, Wilson went 15-23 and was sacked 4 times. Again he failed to reach 200 yards, passing for only 172. 47 of those yards again came on one big play to Golden Tate.

Combined for the two games Wilson had 8 rushes for 15 yards. The Rams kept him in check for the most part, and except a couple of big chunk plays, Wilson wasn't exactly able to move the ball downfield consistently.

At the end of the day, the Rams were able to contain Wilson pretty well, as most teams do. He is a game manager more than a game winner. If he were already 30 years old and doing this on the Seahawks, he'd seem more like Trent Dilfer than a rising star. a QB game manager who wins on strong D, not the strength of his arm.

Now don't get me wrong, I've seen Wilson make some good throws, extend plays, and keep the chains moving. I've also seen him miss open receivers, make bad decisions, and need the defense to bail him out. Is he a good qb? Sure. Is he a great QB? Not yet, he needs to improve in a lot of areas to reach that level. He has the tools to reach those levels, but he hasn't reached it yet.
    Mikey likes this.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Most on this forum consider this "new style QBs" over rated. And too true, the losses the Seagulls took bare that if Wilson is contained, they become one dimensional.

So is it 2 seasons or 1 that the Rams can stamp their mark on the NFL? That is the huge question for us all. I hope, that the Rams already have in mind a solution to the NFC-West challenge. Overcome the strong defenses that rule the division, while adding to a already good defensive squad, seems to be the over all want of the Ram nation.

Suppose its hurry up and wait for us football junkies. Nothing new has come out in the news, not even a rumor to speculate on. Yah its too soon yet for moves to be made--its likely behind the scenes accountants/Agents/management trying to solidify those players they want to keep and work deals so they know who or what to look for in the coming weeks and months

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

The value of a QB that we'll never know about, as fans, is how smart he is. Or how dedicated he is to his trade: watching film, etc.

I don't think it comes down to mobile QB vs. pocket passer. I think it comes down to smart & motivated vs. dumb & entitled. But that's never reported. Might sound harsh, but I think it's true. Many players have failed simply because they're not smart enough, but it's not nice to say that.