Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam
  • 2 Post By NJ Ramsfan1

Thread: Part of me hopes that Steven Jackson retires.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Part of me hopes that Steven Jackson retires.

Let me start by saying that I am taking the rumors and reports of Steven Jackson's potential retirement with a boulder-sized grain of salt. He could very well just be posturing in advance of upcoming negotiations, or he could merely be tired at the end of a long season.

That said, if he ultimately decides that he wishes to retire, I'll have only three things to say:

1. Good for you;
    2. Good luck in your future; and
    3. Thank you for all you've done for the Rams.

Far too few players get to choose their own fate in this game. Most are told when the end has come. If Steven Jackson decides that he's given enough of his body, blood, sweat and tears, and now wishes to move on, I would not blame him one bit. We've seen how many players end up after giving too much of their health to the game.

I have little doubt that SJax will be successful after he hangs up the cleats. He strikes me as an intelligent and highly charismatic person. Whether he goes into broadcasting, coaching or business, I suspect he'll thrive.

Certainly, I hope he plays a couple more years. I'd love to see him receive the pay-off of running out of the tunnel at a Rams home playoff game.

In the end, though... only SJax can decide what is right and what is best for him.

If he's ready to move on... I hope he does just that.
    thoey likes this.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Re: Part of me hopes that Steven Jackson retires.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Certainly, I hope he plays a couple more years. I'd love to see him receive the pay-off of running out of the tunnel at a Rams home playoff game.
    Whether he retires or not I will be disappointed if SJax is not their for our first home playoff game in some capacity (unless of course he is playing somewhere else)

As I said in the other post though, if he decides to retire he will make a hard decision easy for Fisher & Snead.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Good post. I, too, have ambivalent feelings towards this possibility. One one hand, I'd rather see him go out on his own terms on the heels of a 1000 yard season than stay a year too long and get phased out- a once proud warrior a shell of himself. The other part worries he'll be the Don Mattingly of football- a guy whose career ends just before the Rams taste the postseason and get good again.

Either way, SJ has earned the right to do what he wishes. He's given us everything we could have possibly asked under conditions that were often terrible.
    RealRam and Haste like this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I don't get why he would say he's thinking of retiring. When this came up he said he was joking now he's at it again. The last thing he should be saying is the retirement word when he need to test the market.

I really think with the new CBA, easy off season and no contact practices. I would think he could play easily another three years. He's not going to have to carry the ball 25 times a game anymore.

He's got it made with the Rams, Fisher is known as a coach that takes care of his players and by that I mean, not running them into the ground during the week.

I got to be honest I never have been a huge fan, but this year he won me over.

Next year I hope he's back and is splitting time with Pead or Richardson whoever wins the job.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Retirement or not, I think the Rams should definitely think about drafting a RB this year. I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Marcus Lattimore if he's available in the later rounds. I know his injury history scares people off, but the Niners took a chance on Frank Gore and look how that has paid dividends.