RamWraith is offline Registered User

Pasquarelli On Martz And Rams

From ESPN

Mike Martz, St. Louis
    Overview: Behind all the glitz of the high-octane offense that marked Martz's tenure with the Rams, this has been a dysfunctional franchise, one fraught with infighting and influence-peddling and internecine bickering, and with considerable palace intrigue. There is a sense that everyone has his own agenda, that the various departments rarely work in concert, and that things are frayed at the seams. Someone has to restore order and functionality to the operation. The Rams went to two Super Bowls in three seasons from 1999-2001, but have just one playoff victory in the four seasons since being upset by New England in Super Bowl XXXVI.

Martz
    Next for Martz: He owns a Super Bowl ring as a coordinator, took the Rams to a Super Bowl XXXVI appearance, and despite habitual problems with game management, still is regarded as a terrific offensive innovator. His detractors note that his quarterbacks get hit an awful lot, a legitimate insight, but his team will score a lot of points if he's got solid personnel. Put him in, say, Oakland, with a wide receiver group that includes Randy Moss, Jerry Porter, Ronald Curry and Doug Gabriel, and Martz would be diagramming pass plays before his plane hit the ground. Martz is going to be a more popular candidate than some people realize.

Next for Rams: Interim coach Joe Vitt, who pinch hit for the ailing Martz, has zero shot of retaining the job. Williams is almost certain to emerge, and quickly, as a guy in whom the Rams have interest. The problem is, any team seeking the Redskins' coordinator, who was the Buffalo head coach for three seasons (2001-03), will have plenty of competition. Gray is likely to be on the short list (and perhaps Rivera, too), as it is generally believed St. Louis management prefers the next coach have a defensive orientation. Don't rule out Lewis or Tennessee defensive boss Jim Schwartz, an impressive young coach who finished as the runner-up to Mike Nolan at San Francisco last year. It's doubtful the Rams would look at an offensive-minded coach. If they do, Cameron could be in the mix, as could Kubiak. Here's one name out of left field who should not be ignored: Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Re: Pasquarelli On Martz And Rams

I don't see how Jerry Gray can be a candidate this year. His DEFENSE gave up more running yards than Larry Marmie's D did this year. And Gray's DEFENSE is Dead Last in the NFL in stopping the oppossition from converting on 3rd down.

Tim Lewis DC NYG- He was fired by the Steelers in Jan 2004 and the Steeler's were NUMBER 1 in DEFENSE the very next season (after he left) with the same personnel.

Ron Rivera - Is this guy just following Lovie's instructions ? I thought Chicago's success emanated from Lovie Smith.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    I don't see how Jerry Gray can be a candidate this year. His DEFENSE gave up more running yards than Larry Marmie's D did this year. And Gray's DEFENSE is Dead Last in the NFL in stopping the oppossition from converting on 3rd down.
    Gray lost his All Pro Linebacker Spikes plus a host of other injuries. You can't just go by his stats from this year and dismiss him as a top candidate.

There is a reason he's being mentioned as a Head Caoching candidate and it's because he did a great job with the D in Buf before this season. Theres more to it then just the stats of one season.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

The guy (and he only has to worry about DEFENSE) is ranked DEAD LAST in major categories and allowed more rushing yards than Larry Marmie so we are going to promote him. That logic is lost on me.

Totally lost on me. It's not to say he sucks, but I'm not going to take a guy last in the league in 2005 and promote him to head coach in 2006.

But Shaw Might.

The guy (and he only has to worry about DEFENSE) is ranked DEAD LAST in major categories and allowed more rushing yards than Larry Marmie so we are going to promote him. That logic is lost on me.

Totally lost on me. It's not to say he sucks, but I'm not going to take a guy last in the league in 2005 and promote him to head coach in 2006.

But Shaw Might.

Gray lost his All Pro Linebacker Spikes plus a host of other injuries. It's not Gray's fault that his D was injured this year. Look what Gray did when his D was intact. Why are you basing it off of 1 bad season? Every coach in the NFL has had at least 1 bad season.

Seems like you are throwing everything else Gray has done away and saying well Gray had a bad D this year so we shouldn't hire him. Look at all the factors why his D hasn't done well this year, not just the stats.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

There's an old football adage:

YOU ARE WHAT YOUR RECORD SAYS YOU ARE.

Every team has injuries in this league. Two of our Starting Linebackers went out on IR this year

Gray will be a candidate at the end of a year when his Defense is in the top-10. I think that's the way it should be. There's only 32 of these jobs out there. The bar is really high. To take a guy with 30th ranked Defense and entrust him with the entire team - promote him to a position he's never held. He's gotta rebuild credibility to show he's a top coordinator - Not to mention a Top Head Coach.

Every team has injuries in this league. Two of our Starting Linebackers went out on IR this year
    True but Marmie has proven he can't coach anywhere. He has never been successful in the NFL, where Gray has been successful. One bad season doesn't tarnish Gray from being a candidate.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    True but Marmie has proven he can't coach anywhere. He has never been successful in the NFL, where Gray has been successful. One bad season doesn't tarnish Gray from being a candidate.
    Agree,

If it did then Williams would never get a look in at another HC position, Martz wouldn't be a legitimate HC candidate, Shanahan wouldn't be at Denver, Billick would be gone already, Belichick wouldn't have been given another shot, Chuck Noll and Bill Walsh would have been canned early etc,etc, etc..........

Gray is still a legitimate candidate given his previous success, it may be too soon for him but I think it's a good sign in any organisation if the management can take the long view concerning a candidate and evaluate qualities outside of their record in a single season.

Those franchises that have epitomised the Not For Long aspect of the NFL have rarely turned into Dynasties.

And whoever we do pick we have to give them time............
    Last edited by Fat Pang; -01-03-2006 at 04:09 AM.

Jerry Gray as Bills D Coach First year is 2001

2001 Ranked 21st in the league

2002 Ranked 15th in the league

2003 Ranked 2nd in the league

2004 Ranked 2nd in the league

2005 Ranked 29th in the league

So Gray has shown improvement and was the #2 D two years in a row. Something went seriously wrong when you go from 2nd to 29th in D in one year. How can you lay all of that on Gray and not factor in the injuries etc.

You really don't believe that all of a sudden Gray lost all of his knowledge and coaching skills in one year do you? It's obvious something went wrong, and it's bigger than just Gray.

I'm not sure who I want to coach us yet, but I can't dismiss Gray because of 1 bad season it makes no sense.
    Last edited by ramsbruce; -01-03-2006 at 03:58 AM.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE