RamWraith is offline Registered User

Pasquarelli Tidbits from ESPN

Pasquarelli writes:

Bulger deal imminent? Depending on how things play out in another quarterback soap opera in the Sunshine State, at Jacksonville, agent Tom Condon of Creative Artists' Agency could have four interesting negotiations involving signal-callers in the next month or two. He's in the very early stages of working on a deal for Dallas starter Tony Romo, will have to get a contract completed for Cleveland first-round pick Brady Quinn, and might be approached about an extension for Byron Leftwich of the Jaguars.
    Each, in its own way, figures to be a difficult negotiation. But the contract that Condon is most likely to complete with some degree of facility figures to be the extension to which the St. Louis Rams likely will sign Marc Bulger before the start of training camp. Of the four, that one should be the "no-brainer" of the bunch. Arguably the league's least-appreciated passer, and coming off the best statistical season of his career, Bulger wants to finish his career in St. Louis. And the Rams, it seems, want him back for the long term. With Bulger entering the final year of his current deal, and scheduled to have a base salary of only about $4 million, the two sides have been discussing an extension for several weeks. And Condon and team president Jay Zygmunt, who have a solid working relationship, were tentatively scheduled to meet this week for face-to-face bargaining, which should hasten the process a bit.

• Big plans for Bennett: On the subject of Bulger and the Rams, the veteran quarterback seems to have forged a quick relationship with Drew Bennett, the newest weapon in his wide receiver arsenal. The team's biggest offseason acquisition on the offensive side, Bennett, signed as an unrestricted free agent after six seasons in Tennessee, provides Bulger a different kind of receiver than either of St. Louis' other two stars, Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce.

Bennett is 6-foot-5 and 206 pounds, one of the biggest wide receivers in the league, and an imposing target. And it appeared at this week's minicamp, where observers said Bulger threw the heck out of the ball, that Bennett could make an impact in the red zone in 2007. Despite his great size, Bennett has never been much of a force inside the 20-yard line. However, as his 14.8-yard career average demonstrates, he can get vertical for a guy with such a long-strider's gait. Bennett has averaged a remarkable 26.8 yards per touchdown catch on his 18 scores over the past three seasons, and six of those have been for 40 yards or more. Only seven of the scores, though, came in the red zone. If the minicamp this week was a sign of things to come in the St. Louis offense, look for coach Scott Linehan to seek out advantageous red-zone matchups for Bennett in 2007.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Pasquarelli Tidbits from ESPN

So KFFL's report wasn't just old news. That's good to hear. I'd be ecstatic if something became official before the start of the season.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

IzzyHigh1212 is offline Registered User

That's great.
    On a side note:
    Is it just me, or are the Rams getting a lot love from various media outlets?
    Everytime I turn around someone has a foot in the Rams bandwaggon.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Bulger has to love the prospect of being able to throw the ball up for grabs in the endzone with Benett being covered by some 5'10 CB. As good as Torry and Isaac are, Marc's never had that luxury. McMichael is another who could provide that option, though I see him as more of a chain-mover - the kind of guy you love to have on 3rd and 5 or 6.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I think most QB's in the NFL have that check down guy, the guy they have alot of confidence in. Last season Marc's guy was Steven Jackson. Could it be that Marc is creating a chemistry with Bennett and he could be that security blanket in place of SJ in 2007?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I think most QB's in the NFL have that check down guy, the guy they have alot of confidence in. Last season Marc's guy was Steven Jackson. Could it be that Marc is creating a chemistry with Bennett and he could be that security blanket in place of SJ in 2007?
    I agree with you in that it sounds like Marc is really enjoying having that taller receiver in the red zone and there's some chemistry developing, but I wouldn't call Bennett a "checkdown" receiver. That role will likely still be filled by Jackson or now the newcomer Leonard.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    No doubt Marc is excited about the acquistion of Bennett. If I recall correctly, when Marc found out the Rams were bringing in Bennett for a visit, he took him out to dinner and basically indicated to Drew he wasn't going to let him leave town until his signature was on a contract ... I'm hoping the security blanket "chemistry" develops in the red zone/endzone. Having spent a #2 on Leonard, it would be nice if he can develop into a solid checkdown option -- he probably won't get too many opportunities as a rookie, but ya never know ...