View Poll Results: Where did the majority of sacks allowed in 2009 come from?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Outside Pass Rush

20 44.44%
  • Inside Pass Rush

25 55.56%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Pass Rush Vulnerability: Perception vs Reality

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    I'm going to think you meant Jason Brown, because Jason Smith as an OT has nothing to do with a 3-4 NT manned up in front of the center.

If you did mean Jason Brown, Brown had a good showing last season, and proved he was a good FA pick-up.
    I did mean Brown.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

That stat on Brown is outstanding, though not entirely surprising since he probably saw his fair share of 3-4 nose tackles during his time with the Ravens in the AFC North.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Warner4prez Guest

Pretty sure it was posted either here or maybe another site, but didn't Brown have the best statistical year of all NFL centers?

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Barron was always a fine OT once he got past the ball actually snapping. He had some holds this past year but holds don't usually result in sacks.

I agree that Barron's pass blocking was rarely the problem. I think that one of the biggest reasons the Rams wanted to trade him was the way he seems to approach things. Not much of a work effort there.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

Alex Barron's inconsistency and lackadaisical attitude is what made him so expendable. I think he's getting more love posthumously than he would have gotten if he was here. I saw nothing but "Alex Barron Fails" threads while he was here, but suddenly i've seena weird influx of love for Barron now that he's gone. Weird.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

According to pro football focus the guys who played tackle Smith, Goldberg, Barron, and Trautwein combined gave up 20 sacks. The interior guys Setterstrom, Cogs, Bell, Rodger-Allen, Grecco, Brown gave up 12 sacks. The rest of the team RBs, TEs, QBs 9 sacks.

The position the player plays doesn't necessarily mean they got a sack from the inside. There can be a stunt where a DT rushes outside like Darnell Docket does alot the same works for a DE coming inside. Also safety and LB blitzes are sometimes designed so the defensive player has a 1 on 1 match up with a RB or TE.

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    According to pro football focus the guys who played tackle Smith, Goldberg, Barron, and Trautwein combined gave up 20 sacks. The interior guys Setterstrom, Cogs, Bell, Rodger-Allen, Grecco, Brown gave up 12 sacks. The rest of the team RBs, TEs, QBs 9 sacks.

The position the player plays doesn't necessarily mean they got a sack from the inside. There can be a stunt where a DT rushes outside like Darnell Docket does alot the same works for a DE coming inside. Also safety and LB blitzes are sometimes designed so the defensive player has a 1 on 1 match up with a RB or TE.
    I agree that it can be difficult to assess who is responsible for a sack. For example, if an OT is beat by an inside move from a 3-4 OLB and the OG slides over, allowing the DE to get the sack, who do you blame? I'd say that one is on the OT.

I do, however, think that the 27-17 disparity does tend to show that the Rams generally handled the outside rush better than the inside rush.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I agree that it can be difficult to assess who is responsible for a sack. For example, if an OT is beat by an inside move from a 3-4 OLB and the OG slides over, allowing the DE to get the sack, who do you blame? I'd say that one is on the OT.

I do, however, think that the 27-17 disparity does tend to show that the Rams generally handled the outside rush better than the inside rush.

I say who is to blame is probably our RBs and Richie Incognito.

Our running backs didn't do a stellar job at recognizing blitzes last year, and led to Marc Bulger being pummeled.

Richie Incognito was also pushed around during pass downs. He was a mauler during running plays, but he wasn't agile enough, nor smart/talented enough to be a good pass blocker.

Jacob Bell also had some incidences in which he was bullied back time and time again by bigger and stronger defensive tackles.

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Barron was always a fine OT once he got past the ball actually snapping. He had some holds this past year but holds don't usually result in sacks.
    except he made the rams lose almost 200 yards on penalties the whole year. the coaches decided to let him go. Its easy to play offensive line when you hold 90% of the time. Obviously coaches decided to move on without him. If he didn't learn how to lower his penalties this late in his career as an offensive lineman. Whew good riddens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12