Drz
    Drz is offline Registered User

Pass vs. Rush and Old Man Football

I'm sure most of you have heard the fun stat that 3 of the last 4 Super Bowl champs were dead last in the NFL in rushing. That doesn't necessarily mean they're bad at it, it means that successful teams don't even bother to run the ball.

The three worst passing yards per attempt in the NFL last year were St. Louis, Cleveland, and Jacksonville, at 5.9, 5.8, and 5.4 respectively. The three BEST rushing YPA were Carolina, Minnesota, and Phlly, at 5.4, 5.2, and 5.1 Even the worst of the worst passing offenses outperform the best rushing teams.

Thus, I was pretty discouraged to hear the Rams wanted to put an emphasis on the run this year. In Week 1, we did indeed follow a "balanced attack" of 25 passes, 27 rushes. Like we typically see, the passes far outperformed the rushes. Running the ball is a recipe for losing, and I really don't know if I should end that statement with "in my opinion," because it seems very much like an obvious fact. For those who believe in the magical world of math and statistics, at least.

Any thoughts or counterarguments on this? Are there others who feel passing more would give us a better chance at winning? Or, are you happy with the balanced play calling, and if so, why?

Torry Holt is offline Registered User

Re: Pass vs. Rush and Old Man Football

Run plays are safer than pass plays, it gives less yards but I'm sure it' easier to gain 3 yards on run instead of pass, sometimes, you need just 3 yards. It keeps the defense honest and exhausted them when they have to tackle backs (even more big backs like Steven Jackson), it allows play action pass that can be lethal. When you're leading rushing plays eating minutes of possession.
    Pass is very important nowadays in NFL but I'm sure we where GSOT because we were able to strike by air AND on the ground. New England, Green Bay would be real real dangerous with Steven Jackson in their backfield. He is our best player right now he has to be involved a lot in our gameplan.
    Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fierté, et que vous ne lâchez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
    Le prix de la victoire est chère, mais la récompense en vaut la peine.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

If our passing attack was on par with the Giants, Green Bay and Saints or even Pittsburgh I bet we'd throw the ball more often. However, it is not. Our receiving core isn't close to any of those teams and our best weapon right now is Steven Jackson.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Old Man Football the new buzz word.

I think we all know football is a copy cat league and the trend may have been set in motion to become pass happy due to the Rams of old. The league keeps changing the rules to help the offense score more points. My take is, it's getting real close to the edge. I heard this for the first time not to long ago "the NFL is becoming more like arena football" it made me kind of sick to my stomach. But when you look at how the game is played today, all the passing, no need to run, score every time you get the ball...

Running the ball is a recipe for losing, and I really don't know if I should end that statement with "in my opinion," because it seems very much like an obvious fact.
    To answer your question, there is a team in the NFC west. That runs the ball to set up the pass and plays good defense. The 9ers... Sunday I was sure they would get beat in Green Bay, but on the road when done right. Old Man Football looked pretty good.

9ers 13-3 last year does not sound like losing to me.

Any thoughts or counterarguments on this? Are there others who feel passing more would give us a better chance at winning? Or, are you happy with the balanced play calling, and if so, why?
    I'm fine with running to set up the pass, but you have to be able to establish the run. We ran the ball but never established the run. Once Fisher has this team running the ball down hill, Bradford will have it made. Until then it's going to be tough for him. I think we had (7) third and plus seven yards for a first down on third down and we only converted 30%. That's hard to convert for any QB.

But if you have any questions weather we will change and become a pass happy team.. all you have to do is listen to Bradford after the Lions game.

” Bradford said. “Probably quite a few loaded boxes we were trying to run into. But we’re going to try to pound the ball. That’s what we’re going to do. We’re going to run it at people. We’re going to be a physical team. We’re going to grind out those run yards.”
    Fisher will have this team pounding the rock, it may take a year or two, but he will do it.
    Hate to say it, but I think we are going to mirror the 9ers in the next few years. By the time we get all the pieces in place and Bradford has played in the same system we will look a lot like the 9ers and who knows maybe it becomes fashionable to pound the rock!
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-11-2012 at 09:11 PM.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think your stats may be just a bit off. The SB Champs for the 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011 seasons were the Steelers, Saints, Packers, and Giants respectively. The worst rushing teams in 2008-2011 were the Cardinals, Colts, Cardinals again, and the Giants. Unless we're talking about rush average as opposed to total rushing yards. Then it's Colts, Chargers, Bengals, and Giants. Again, only one Super Bowl winner out of the four.

The Steelers and Packers were ranked 24th in rushing in their respective Super Bowl winning seasons, which isn't great, but the Saints were ranked 6th in the league the year they went to the Super Bowl. Am I missing something? I'm just looking at NFL.com's stats here.

You talk about yards per attempt, but remember, the likelihood of turning the ball over is quite a bit higher if you throw it, and sacks tend to lose more yards than rushes that don't go anywhere. As long as pass protection and receiving appear to be likely team weaknesses, we kind of have to play the hand we've been dealt.