Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

A passing thought that may actually be a decent idea

There are rumblings in Miami that Cam Cameron may not make it to year #2 as the head coach. Not surprising, given that Miami may very well go winless (NOTE: I am not expressing ANY opinion on whether Cameron should be retained by Miami).

If Cameron is fired, he would be at the top of my list to replace Greg Olson as the Rams offensive coordinator.

Forget what's happening in Miami. Their starting lineup without injuries is less talented than ours with injuries. In San Diego, Cameron was a very effective offensive coordinator, and could be a great fit here in that role. The Rams Front Office already knows him, as he was a candidate for the HC job when Linehan was fired.

Just a thought.

chipperjones is offline Registered User

Re: A passing thought that may actually be a decent idea

OC, yeah, I'd like it, but for a second I thought you were talking about HC.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Interesting thought too.

I would agree that the OC position would need to be looked at this off-season and if it comes to pass that Olson is moved or fired, then a quality assitant would be a very good idea.

The principle behind moving much of the game day detail from Linehan is a good one and it should be looked at come seasons end.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

No, Cameron certainly has not earned the right to be a HC candidate anywhere (I think you have to win a game first ).

But, as an OC...

You know, as I think about this idea, I like it more and more...

Rambos is offline Registered User

I think Haslett has done such a good job, I think he may get an offer as a HC.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I think this would be a great idea if Linehan and Cameron could find common ground with each others systems, but that could be tough. Offensive minded coaches usually have a figurehead as OC and like to have control of what their offense does. Other than Brian Billick bringing in Jim Fassel, I can't think of any other offensive minded head coach bringing in a legit OC, and the Billick/Fassel pairing didn't work out well. Maybe I'm wrong.

Now if Linehan was willing to bring in a strong OC type, another guy I'd love to see get the chance would be Hawaii coach June Jones.

thoey is offline Registered User

I think you hire a HC and then let him hire whoever he wants...
    This space for rent...

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Cameron is obviously a top OC, just look at the Chargers O with him there and now look at it without him. Rivers looks vulnerable, the OL is suddenly not so good and LT and Gates have struggled to get in games at times

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I think this would be a great idea if Linehan and Cameron could find common ground with each others systems, but that could be tough. Offensive minded coaches usually have a figurehead as OC and like to have control of what their offense does. Other than Brian Billick bringing in Jim Fassel, I can't think of any other offensive minded head coach bringing in a legit OC, and the Billick/Fassel pairing didn't work out well. Maybe I'm wrong.

Now if Linehan was willing to bring in a strong OC type, another guy I'd love to see get the chance would be Hawaii coach June Jones.
    I would love to see June Jones be our OC, this guy knows offense,I believe he was a head coach and didn't fare well,but as we know first hand not all good coordinators become good head coaches.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I doubt Jones will be going anywhere .. his approval rating is through the roof here. Now that the Warriors have secured a major bowl game which will bring revenue the likes of which UH has never seen before, (in excess of 4 mil I think). UH should be able to sweeten the pot. June left the NFL to come back to his alma mater so unless he gets stiffed by UH, it is unlikely he'll leave for the NFL. However, that is only my two cents worth, certainly not something you can take to the bank ...

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    I doubt Jones will be going anywhere .. his approval rating is through the roof here. Now that the Warriors have secured a major bowl game which will bring revenue the likes of which UH has never seen before, (in excess of 4 mil I think). UH should be able to sweeten the pot. June left the NFL to come back to his alma mater so unless he gets stiffed by UH, it is unlikely he'll leave for the NFL. However, that is only my two cents worth, certainly not something you can take to the bank ...
    it's a great ideal and as I stated I would love to have him,but I think he has the best job in college football,it seems as though he is hughly popular and has taken the program into the national spotlight,BCS game and even a Heisman canidate and spends everyday in Hawaii,I'm sure they will ante up and keep him there,I wish him well,but I also wish we could get him.

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Jones obviously has a great situation at Hawaii and isn't going anywhere, but he's the guy I would love to see as the Rams OC. He's a great offensive mind and brilliant play caller who would help the fortunes of any NFL team. We're talkin' wish list here!

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post
    I think you hire a HC and then let him hire whoever he wants...

We tried that and got Greg Olson- I'm thinking maybe he should be persuaded to pick whoever the front office wants for now on...

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Jones obviously has a great situation at Hawaii and isn't going anywhere, but he's the guy I would love to see as the Rams OC. He's a great offensive mind and brilliant play caller who would help the fortunes of any NFL team. We're talkin' wish list here!
    I'm thinking that the Run & Shoot he runs in Hawaii wouldn't translate well to the NFL and would negate having a big power back like Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    I'm thinking that the Run & Shoot he runs in Hawaii wouldn't translate well to the NFL and would negate having a big power back like Jackson.
    That's a very good point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast