Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan had the following exchange on NFL radio

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    The Rams weren't, and aren't, a slot receiver away from being a good team with depth. There are just too many positions that could have been addressed with the 33rd pick in the draft. He may become a good NFL receiver but I would have been a lot happier with an OL, DL, LB, CB, etc. over another offensive skill position that isn't even going to be on the field all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Secondly, no OL was worth the pick there after the run of offensive tackles in the first round.
    A 2nd round o-lineman that could at least provide depth throughout his contract would have been a lot better value than a new toy.
    AGAIN, no offensive lineman available was worth the pick in the second round. If you disagree, then please provide a name. We picked arguably the next best OL at the top of the third in Greco.

As an example, the Patriots can get a guy like Wes Welker for a 4th(or was it 6th?) rounder and economically improve their team.
    The Patriots traded a second-round pick and a seventh-round pick for Wes Welker.

Maybe I just missed it but at the end of '07 was there a big outcry for a slot receiver by anyone?
    There was definitely a big outcry for someone who could get behind defenses with deep speed, which is exactly what Avery can do. He not only has the speed but has enough size to project as a potential starter if he can fine tune his game. Additionally, looking at the Rams' roster, the #3 guy prior to the draft was going to be Reche Caldwell. So yeah, they could have used a guy who could immediately contribute in the slot and be groomed as a future starter.

RANDYRAM Guest

This is why I wanted Chris Johnson at 33!!
    BUTT 4 all you guys that said you would scratch your eyes out!!

If we picked him at 33!! Guess what he went #24 to Tennessee!!

Guess what else Avery is almost a clone of Johnson in size, speed, and football skills!!
    So I am pretty happy with the pic!!

I would of liked DE Calais Campbell 6'8" 282 who went #50 to Arizona!!

If we could have traded down and got another pick! We could of played
    him at DE and Cris Long at Slb in passing downs that would have been awesome!
    Last edited by RANDYRAM; -05-04-2008 at 12:30 PM.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by General Counsel View Post
    This post should be required reading for any real rams fan who considers himself educated and intellegent. Read this and then tell me that Avery would have been available in round 3 and that the pick was a "reach."

There is nothing in life more dangerous that a little knowledge.

Ramming speed to all

General Counsel

Well, I dare say to consider myself a Real Rams fan, intellignet too! ...Pulling your leg, GC.

Seriously, I agree with the Kirwan / Ryan discussion here on Avery and believe Devaney and Co. had planned this surprising 2nd pick all the way. That said, I'm glad Donnie came to us (much to his surprise as well) and, who knows? Maybe in time he may even bring some measure of Bruce-loss consollation to us fans -- not that he is near being another Isaac of course, but nonetheless a very welcomed filler at WR.
    Last edited by RealRam; -05-05-2008 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Format

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RANDYRAM View Post

Guess what else Avery is almost a clone of Johnson in size, speed, and football skills!!
    One major difference, though... Johnson is a RB (kind of reminds me of Trung Canidate, actually), while Avery is a WR.

Campbell is going to be a huge bust (and I went to graduate school at UM).

THEFIELDGOAL is offline Registered User

Avery will be a questionable pick once the season starts. His speed is a good fit for an offense that needs timing. But yes Saunders has not been a great coach as to help players elevate their games.Besides the past Rams stays. He has not taken anyone to the Super Bowl per say. And he has a tendency to focus on only key plays and not mix it up as often. But he gets another crack at the process with quality rendention and new draft picks. I like Devaney but here as well, no championships to show for it in terms of consistent playoff runs.
    So the point is where will theseguys take us with all this talent.
    It's a wait and see. And Linehan is now on the hot seat, in getting us to the playoff stage. Martz looms in the Bay Area and if can beat Martz twice in a year , then we have something in the works.
    THE FIELD GOAL

moklerman is offline Registered User

Well, I hope you guys are right. I'm not a big draft follower but it boggles my mind that the Rams, who need so much, consider a slot receiver the best player available after 32 picks. It's the first time in how many years that a WR wasn't even taken in the first round? The best of a crappy bunch doesn't seem worthy of a high 2nd round pick to me. Add the Rams' history of drafting, the total crapshoot that is drafting a WR, Avery's one consensus weakness being the one thing the Rams generally want and it all adds up to a questionable move.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

I just don't get it ....

Avery cannot run routes. Avery is a poor route runner. Avery is just a burner ...

Where is all this nonsense coming from? All accounts seem to point towards the fact that Avery was superb at the Senior Bowl workouts and from every tape and clip I've seen of him, he seemed to get great separation and typically be wide open everytime the ball came to him. He played injured last year, ran injured at the combine, and seems to be one tough SOB. He's got great character, a great skill set, and some great WR coacing about to be thrown his way. Sounds like a great match to me ...

Most important thing I remember hearing was that Avery WAS WILLING TO LISTEN, WILLING TO ACCEPT CRITICISM, and WILLING TO LEARN. With a suspect pack of WR's in this draft, many who seemed to be all about "ME", it makes me very pleased to see we got skilled, mature WR who seems to be all about "WE" ....

Just because one or two idiots gets on TV and talks about how Avery cannot run routes, or Avery catches with his body, or Avery was a reach, does not mean its the end all beat all. Wow, the Rams surprised everyone and picked a WR who most of the top analysts don't have a man crush on ...

Let me say this, I watched Houston play Alabama, LIVE and in PERSON. After Avery stretched that D apart and racked up 100+ yards, we were all wondering ... Man, who the hell is this guy. I was commenting at that time about how Avery was going to be an awesome pro ...

Lets hope it works it, for both him, and Burton. As for Burton, I've seen him play in person, and let me say, he was the STEAL of the ENTIRE draft ...

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    I just don't get it ....

Avery cannot run routes. Avery is a poor route runner. Avery is just a burner ...
    I don't get it either RamsInfiniti. How in the the world could a guy who can't run routes and has questionable hands make 91 catches for 1456 yards and 7 TD's in a wide open pro-style offense his senior year? Mind boggling.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

He did it with smoke and mirrors,,, LOL

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I like Chris Johnson......, not to the Rams @ 33, but I like him. He'll make a fine scat back in the NFL. Still shocked the Titans didn't get a true receiver with their first pick, but who am I to judge?

As for Campbell and Long........Campbell is the next Jimmy Kennedy, IMNSHO. And Long as a 4-3 SAM is analogous to playing S-Jack at FB.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Avery has great stats. If that's all he had I'd complain he was a work out warrior waiting to fail because he obviously can't catch.

Avery had over 200 catches in his college career. Woops, just another Ridgeway who has great hands but can't run NFL routes.

Avery has never been in trouble and has a great work ethic. Well, can't really compare that to anyone at the top of the boards.

Put it all together and he starts looking like a guy you can count on and can be a difference maker. His speed times are unquestionably awesome. His hands are shown to be NFL caliber (most of the complaints there come when he had a dislocated thumb). He has a great work ethic and you HAVE to have that to be a premier NFL receiver (Holt, Bruce, Harrison, Rice).

The guy may not pan out but he's far less of a reach than guys who performed for 6 months but are 4" taller. Being tall doesn't equate to NFL success.

RANDYRAM Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    One major difference, though... Johnson is a RB (kind of reminds me of Trung Canidate, actually), while Avery is a WR.

Another difference we have NO RB With SPEED!!!
    I don't ever remember Trung Canidate leading the nation in all purpose yards!!

Also Chris Johnson had over 700 yrds receiving over 1400 yrds rushing
    and over 1000 yrds in returns!! ADD IT UP ANYWAY YOU WANT !!!
    He went where was projected in the draft #24 so I like Avery just fine!
    He's the closest talent wise to Chris Johnson that was left in the draft
    and I'm fine with that!!

HO SO THAT EXPLAINS IT !! anybody that go's to UM is a bust I get it now??
    I JUST HOPE HE DOESN'T BUST BULGERS RIBS!!!
    Last edited by RANDYRAM; -05-06-2008 at 02:36 PM.

RANDYRAM Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I like Chris Johnson......, not to the Rams @ 33, but I like him. He'll make a fine scat back in the NFL. Still shocked the Titans didn't get a true receiver with their first pick, but who am I to judge?

As for Campbell and Long........Campbell is the next Jimmy Kennedy, IMNSHO. And Long as a 4-3 SAM is analogous to playing S-Jack at FB.
    Long had some of the best combine numbers even for LBs
    So if he has
    the ability to play OLB on pass plays it would be a waste of his talent to
    not use him in as many ways as possible!! I was thinking more in a 3 4
    not a 4 3 although he could be there in a pinch.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Another difference we have NO RB With SPEED!!!
    Steven Jackson runs a 4.4

HO SO THAT EXPLAINS IT !! anybody that go's to UM is a bust I get it now??
    Um... I think you missed my point entirely there. I usually favor UM players, having gone to law school there, but I think Campbell is the MLTBAB (Most Likely To Be A Bust) of this draft.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm not a big draft follower
    Yet you're perfectly comfortable saying the Rams should have gone with another position.

Avery's one consensus weakness being the one thing the Rams generally want
    Huh? What the Rams want is speed, and Avery is arguably the best of this class at that.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast