MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Pat Shurmur on Marc Bulger ..

New Offensive Coordinator Pat Shurmur on Marc Bulger: ‘I Like Him’
    By Howard Balzer Tuesday, February 17, 2009
    The rumblings were loud throughout the 2008 season regarding the future of quarterback Marc Bulger.

As the offense deteriorated around Bulger, he had the worst two seasons of his career in 2007 and 2008. That led to speculation the team might move on without him.

That thought has never come from anyone inside the Rams’ organization. After Steve Spagnuolo was hired as head coach, general manager Billy Devaney was asked about the future of Bulger.

Said Devaney, “Every coach we talked to, and they were very honest in their assessment of our roster, said you can win with Marc Bulger provided he is protected and the players around him do their job.”

Still, there are rumors around the league that Bulger could be a cap casualty. Stories in New York after the retirement of Brett Favre mentioned Bulger as a possible replacement because of the belief the Rams will release him to save money on the cap. Of course, the problem with that scenario is that Bulger off the roster would cost more than he does on it.

In 2009, he will be paid $6.5 million, but $3 million of that is guaranteed. On the roster, he counts $8.5 million against the cap. However, if he is released, the cap charge would be $11 million. Plus, the Rams can’t achieve cap relief by waiting until after June 1 because that rule doesn’t exist this year in the final uncapped year of the collective bargaining agreement.

In addition, the reality is the Rams don’t have anyone to replace Bulger. They can’t afford to create bigger holes on the roster. It will be up to Devaney to upgrade the talent on offense and make it possible for Bulger to be productive again.

New offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur, who was an assistant with the Eagles for 10 years, believes that’s possible. When Bulger was the Pro Bowl MVP after the 2003 season, the Eagles’ staff coached the NFC that year.

“I like him,” Shurmur said. “I do know he’s got great skill and ability and I’m looking forward to working with him.” Asked about so much scrutiny being put on the quarterback when an offense struggles, Shurmur said, “The whole unit has to function together. That’s my job. I don’t want to characterize this as the West Coast offense or put labels on it. There are so many broad definitions out there. “But this is going to be the Rams offense that we create.”

Still, what is in question are who the other quarterback on the roster will be. Brock Berlin has signed a one-year contract and will be evaluated in the offseason by the new coaching staff. Will Trent Green be brought back, or might Jeff Garcia, who had a stint with the Eagles, be signed? Might a young quarterback come in the middle rounds of the draft? What about Ryan Fitzpatrick? He is an unrestricted free agent after starting 12 games for the Bengals last season.

The Rams’ offseason program begins March 16, and quarterback could be one of many positions with a different personnel mix.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Re: Pat Shurmur on Marc Bulger ..

Well, obviously it would be more of a loss to the team to get rid of Bulger. Although there may be some way to make it happen, I think it'd be best he stay put. We CAN win with him skill-wise. The concerns for me are: FUMBLES, REACTiON TiME(when hurried) and iNJURiES. If he stays healthy, he can be a problem to opposing teams, of course assuming he and recievers alike learn the system.

Maybe at this point, the question shouldnt be if its the SMART thing to do to keep him, but more like, "Who do we put BEHiND him." I really hope we get rid of Green and are able to put someone who could fill in for him if injured. This would not only give us reliability in a backup, but also starts a small fire under Bulgers A** to get after it...

maineram is offline Registered User

This is obviously a smoke screen. My people are telling me that Marc goes to the Jet's, we trade the Jet's first pick and our first round pick to Atlanta for the rights for Vick.

I hope the Bulger bashers will at least listen to the new staff and stand behind him with an improved line and hopefully a full season from SJ !!!!

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

mdram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by maineram View Post
    This is obviously a smoke screen. My people are telling me that Marc goes to the Jet's, we trade the Jet's first pick and our first round pick to Atlanta for the rights for Vick.

I hope the Bulger bashers will at least listen to the new staff and stand behind him with an improved line and hopefully a full season from SJ !!!!

Maineram -
    We would give are number two pick for a QB that has not played in three year who also has not been reinstated.
    If they do that there is smoke going around but I think it is being inhaled and not a screen

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Maineram can speak for himself but I think he was joking with the absurd trade. My people think SJ will be traded to NE for Cassel & a 1st rder next year. Bennett will break his own jaw while shaving but go on to have a Pro Bowl season.

I wonder how much Garcia will cost? I always liked him as a player; tough & feisty & a good contrasting skill set to Bulger, rather than an ossified copy in Green.

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Maineram can speak for himself but I think he was joking with the absurd trade. My people think SJ will be traded to NE for Cassel & a 1st rder next year. Bennett will break his own jaw while shaving but go on to have a Pro Bowl season.

I wonder how much Garcia will cost? I always liked him as a player; tough & feisty & a good contrasting skill set to Bulger, rather than an ossified copy in Green.
    Probably too much, but I agree he would be a solid backup to Marc. If he had to come in in a pinch, his contrasting style of play would make it difficult for opposing defenses which would have game planned for Marc. We'll see what happens ..

maineram is offline Registered User

I WAS joking .................... lot's of Bulger blamers that only look at the last two years and call him DONE. That was my point !!

Maine
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

Ramer is offline Registered User

I predict Bulger is going to have a huge season this year!

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by maineram View Post
    I WAS joking .................... lot's of Bulger blamers that only look at the last two years and call him DONE. That was my point !!

Maine
    This NO joke! Bulger's Done!!! The bulger experiment didn't work...Time to move on! And it's not 'Bulger Bashing', It's just keeping it real!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    This NO joke! Bulger's Done!!! The bulger experiment didn't work...Time to move on! And it's not 'Bulger Bashing', It's just keeping it real!!!
    So if Marc gets some protection this year along with help from SJ on the ground and lights up opposing Ds, will you be rooting against him? Since you consider Marc to be "done," who should be our QB in 2009?

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    So if Marc gets some protection this year along with help from SJ on the ground and lights up opposing Ds, will you be rooting against him? Since you consider Marc to be "done," who should be our QB in 2009?
    I root for the Rams regardless if the QB is ineffective.
    Who should be our QB in 2009?
    Here's the list....

Michael Vick
    Brett Favre
    Jeff Garcia
    Tom Brady
    Kurt Warner
    Byron Leftwich
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    I root for the Rams regardless if the QB is ineffective.
    Who should be our QB in 2009?
    Here's the list....

Michael Vick
    Brett Favre
    Jeff Garcia
    Tom Brady
    Kurt Warner
    Byron Leftwich
    Vick,Garcia, and Leftwich, that's just stupid.
    Just Fix It

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Vick,Garcia, and Leftwich, that's just stupid.
    you'd be surprised!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]