Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    renrawtruk is offline Registered User

The path to success.

Gotta admit, I'm down on this team right now, and the organization. I am trying to stay positive.

I re-watched the Rams/Steelers game yesterday and between that, and the playoff games, I've come to some conclusions on where some of our key problems are and some possible solutions.

Problems:

#1: Bennett can not get separation and is a waste of money. Almost every single pass to him the entire year, with very few exceptions, showed a DB or even LB, making up the ground to tip the ball, or to hit him as he caught it to force the drop. The combination of Bruce/Holt/Bennett is not good because they are all the same guy. They are route runners without a breakaway speed. Bennett may be a replacement for Bruce, but should not be on the field at the same time as them.

Solution:
    The Rams need a true slot receiver, ala Wes Welker. We might be able to use Looker or Hagans here. Not sure they are the complete answer, but would suffice to give us a different stlye of target out there, especially on third downs. My concern is that Linehan doesn't see this and thinks that the TE is the "other option". I'm hoping the new OC will realize this? Less TE plays, and more shifty slot receiver type plays.

#2: Jackson: You can not successfully build an offense around this guy in today's NFL. Look at Maroney on the Pats. Very similar RB. They would not be a dominant team if they tried to build their offensive philosphy around Maroney. He works well because the focus in on the passing game, as should ours be.

Solution: We need a pass-first philosophy from the OC. I think without a doubt, we need to take Jake Long, and make sure that Bulger is protected. Only with Protection can we be a pass-first philosophy offense. I like a receiver with the second round pick.

#3. Defense: There are no quick fixes here. I believe a better offense will help our defense stay off the field. We were better at run stopping that against the pass, so I would ask if there are any Strong Safeties available in FA this year????

Solution: A dedicated kick-off guy is a must. We can not continue to kick the ball to the 10-15 yard line and not even first touch the guy until he's at the 25. Every other team in the NFL is on the guy between the 15-20. This may help our defense more than anything else.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: The path to success.

At least you watched one of their better games for the season even if it was a loss.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by renrawtruk View Post
    Gotta admit, I'm down on this team right now, and the organization. I am trying to stay positive.

I re-watched the Rams/Steelers game yesterday and between that, and the playoff games, I've come to some conclusions on where some of our key problems are and some possible solutions.

Problems:

#1: Bennett can not get separation and is a waste of money. Almost every single pass to him the entire year, with very few exceptions, showed a DB or even LB, making up the ground to tip the ball, or to hit him as he caught it to force the drop. The combination of Bruce/Holt/Bennett is not good because they are all the same guy. They are route runners without a breakaway speed. Bennett may be a replacement for Bruce, but should not be on the field at the same time as them.

Solution:
    The Rams need a true slot receiver, ala Wes Welker. We might be able to use Looker or Hagans here. Not sure they are the complete answer, but would suffice to give us a different stlye of target out there, especially on third downs. My concern is that Linehan doesn't see this and thinks that the TE is the "other option". I'm hoping the new OC will realize this? Less TE plays, and more shifty slot receiver type plays.

#2: Jackson: You can not successfully build an offense around this guy in today's NFL. Look at Maroney on the Pats. Very similar RB. They would not be a dominant team if they tried to build their offensive philosphy around Maroney. He works well because the focus in on the passing game, as should ours be.

Solution: We need a pass-first philosophy from the OC. I think without a doubt, we need to take Jake Long, and make sure that Bulger is protected. Only with Protection can we be a pass-first philosophy offense. I like a receiver with the second round pick.

#3. Defense: There are no quick fixes here. I believe a better offense will help our defense stay off the field. We were better at run stopping that against the pass, so I would ask if there are any Strong Safeties available in FA this year????

Solution: A dedicated kick-off guy is a must. We can not continue to kick the ball to the 10-15 yard line and not even first touch the guy until he's at the 25. Every other team in the NFL is on the guy between the 15-20. This may help our defense more than anything else.
    i agree with your slot reciever assesment, but looker doesnt have ht espeed you would want, and hagans could use some work. for now id rather Ike be the slot and stanley waiting in the wings.

I do not agree when you say teams cant build offenses around their running games. look at the chargers. without LT yesterday they couldent score a TD. look at the vikings virtually no passing game really. another team is us last year and the ***** last year, you can build an offense around a running back, you need a very good one and an oline to block for you though
    Built RAM tough

Chris58 is offline Registered User

renrawtruk you make good points. But I think offensively teams need to be able to run and pass durng the season. I heard some analyst say (wish I could take credit for it) that good teams adjust to the season as the weather gets colder. Good teams stretch the field with the pass in warmer weather (early season), but must be able to run in late season (cold weather). Passing is more problematic in cold blustery weather so the run must be there.

Definitely not saying to give up on the run. Steven Jackson is an integral part of this offense and is one of our best weapons.

What I am saying is that the offensive philosophy of how to use him needs to be changed. You can no longer succeed in the NFL with predicability. You can not try to run the ball on first and second down, and try to get into manageable third down situations. You can no longer try to establish the run while the other team piles up 24 points on you.

If you have a multi-purpose back, like Marshall or L.T., you can build your scheme around them, which includes the threat of them going out for a pass. However, SJ is no MF or LT. He is a big power back. Yes, he can catch outlet passes, but you don't line him up in the slot and expect him to get separation.

Yes, you have to be able to rely on your running game in bad weather, or at the end of games to run out the clock. This is why we have SJ.

My comment is, again, simply that we need to be a pass-first philosophy team. We do not have the Bears defense to be one of those teams that keeps game low scoring and relies on our running game to chew up half the clock. And those teams (jags, bears, ravens, etc...) although solid, have not been getting to the final 4. It's been the Colts, Chargers, Pats, Cowboys, etc... Pass first teams.

Passing has been our bread and butter, and we still have Bulger, Holt, etc...
    I would rather see us get back to our M.O. than try to be something we are not.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I think without a doubt, we need to take Jake Long, and make sure that Bulger is protected. Only with Protection can we be a pass-first philosophy offense. I like a receiver with the second round pick.
    No way should we take Jake at #2 overall. Pace in all likelihood will return at left tackle, while Barron will slide back over to play RT again. Investing a #2 pick and a ton of money on a guy that almost certainly will be riding pine for a year or two is crazy! Chris Long on the other hand could start or at the very least be a big part of the D-line rotation. So could Glenn Dorsey or Vernon Gholston. We likely will draft at least one or even two O-linmen on the 1st day, but hopefully not with our #2 overall. Please -- not Jake the Mistake ...

blood85 is offline Registered User

I say build both the OL and DL, as I do believe games are won in the trenches.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

#1 - I'm not sure what you mean by a "true" slot receiver. Of course every team would love to have three receivers that could all start on other teams, but strictly speaking Welker isn't the most typical slot receiver. Speed is nice in the slot, but I'd think it would be more important to have the size, sure hands, and the willingness to make tough catches across the middle. I'd actually think it would be more advantageous to put the speed guy out on the flank where he doesn't have so many big linebackers and safeties looking to push him around.

#2 - I do not think a "pass-first" philosophy is a good idea. Ideally, you want to set up the pass with the run. Get the safety to cheat up, and you open up space for bigger gains. Use play-action. Keep the opponent guessing. A team needs to have a good passing game, but there's a lot to be said for a running game that can get gains on first and second down to put you in good position on third down. A good running game really helps in the redzone, too.

#3 - I agree there are no quick fixes on defense, but I also agree with those who have said that we ought to start by building the defensive line. A more consistent pass rush might not be a miracle cure, but we're not going to stop anybody when Little, Hall, Adeyanju, and Moore have 4.5 sacks combined over a season.

St.Louis Ram 56 is offline Registered User

Exclamation Re: The path to success.

Marshall Marshall Marshall....can we get a clone.. All purpose Back is where its at, Jackson is a great back, but Like any Great offense..Neutralizing the Blitz is so Important...The past few Games The Patriots completely dumped short outs on the blitz very sucessfully...We need more tools in the Bag, Like in 99, No team can Build around one Strong Running Back..Especially when you Load him in, Linebackers arn't dumb..Every Time Jackson went in they Keyed on him..The only time we really got successful at it was when Bulger had enough time to Establish alternate short outs, What really hurt was the Lack of endurance in our OL, when it got to 3 min into the 3rd QTR our line turned to puddy...

We definately got some Building to do:x

Cheerzzzzz Terry:r

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

#1 - Welker and the Patriots Pass First Offense - When you have a Moss, you can do the things these guys have done this season. Who do you defend? Maroney, Welker, Moss, Brady, Faulk? or Holt, Bruce, Proehl, Az, Marshall, Warner circa 99? Pass first works when you have enough credible treats. 07 Rams didn't, the 08 Rams probably won't.

Bright Side: A more stable OL next season will help give Bulger more time and in establishing a credible in your face running game. That will help our down field routs. Also......as mentioned earlier, Stanley. Kid has tools.

I'd look for depth to be added at OL, possibly a Faneca or something, and maybe an OT in the 2-4 pick range, but not Jake. You don't pass on the potential impact DE, it may be a while before you sniff one again.

#2 SJ just isn't Marshall. And this offense does not have a Welker and Moss right now. I like the balanced attack.

It's funny how after the 06 campaign, people thought any improved Defense would help the team win because of the Offense was okay. It would have done so, except for ........ injuries. This offense put alot of pressure on the D. A new OC that understands using your tools and making adjustments will help, as will some depth on the OL and fewer injuries.

#3 If the offense were to improve drastically, the defense would probably be on the field more. Seems that is what happened during the GSOT years. Score quickly. I'd like that again, probably won't happen though. However, even if it doesn't, I think better defensive player will improve this defense more than keeping it off the field. Chris Long is another good piece, to go with Carriker, Ryan, Atogwe and Write-Ur-Will Witherspoon. He'd help the entire line, including the pass rush (something only seen last season on the back of milk cartons). A pass rush improves this D. Chris Long!

I would like to see some alternatives coming in or up for the SS position.

Nice post, but I can't agree with much of it. Not that it should matter.
    Semper Fi!

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I say we do need the wide receiver youre talking about..

However, I disagree with your idea of Jake Long. I've told this to everyone who has wanted Jake Long over DL. If we draft Jake Long, he may be on the bench for a year or two. If we get a good DL, he'll see immediate game time. It's that simple..

However your other points are clear and correct. Good post

I realize that Jake Long is a Tackle and we already have 2 starting tackles....

I'm just trying to look at what works for the best teams in the NFL right now, and then look at our Rams and see what pieces we are lacking.

One of the main things that all the great teams have, is their QB sits back there all day. It's vital. It's been said that if you were to build a expansion team, you should start with building a great O'line. I definitely agree. It looked like we were getting a good O'line together up until all the injuries, and I'm in favor of getting even more support on the O'line. Perhaps Jake Long is redundant, but I figure that great tackles can play guard, no? Doesn't mean guards can play tackle, but if there's a Probowl O'lineman out there, I would lean that way, over the D'line.

I only mention Welker because when we were on top, we had a few different style targets out there (Proel and Hakim) that were a "change-up" from Bruce/Holt. Bennett did not add to our versatility of weapons, just a weaker version of Bruce/Holt. I'd rather see Hagans in there along with Bruce/Holt.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Problems:

Solution:

Wow, this is different for sure ....

As for Bennett, the guy was hurt this year, playing with a bum leg all year. You say he got no separation, but I can remember four plays where he schooled a DB and was running wide open about 40 yards down the field. Three times resulted in a sack, fourth resulted in an INT. Bennett will be an effective option for us when he is healthy. Give it one more year ...

As for Jackson, saying that you cannot build an offense around this guy is absurd. Maroney? You compare Jackson to Maroney? That's laughable. Jackson had a MVP type season in 2006. He was hindered a little in 2007, with injuries, and a terrible offensive line, but he will return to form in 2006, when he almost had a record breaking year. And what do you mean Jackson cannot line up in the slot? I clearly remember him lining up in the slot one game and running a 30 yard post pattern and being wide tail open. Unfortunately, he dropped that pass, but it will be an option in the future. Marshall Faulk wasn't Marshall Faulk yet at Jackson's age. As for LT, after seeing San Diego play with Turner and Sproules, I am beginning to think he is grossly overrated ....

As for the tight ends, they are a very very viable option in this offense, and any other offense. You didn't see the production that McMichael is capable of this year because he was always being relied on to stay in and block. With a healthy and improved offensive line, he is good for 60 catches. I think we might see Klop emerge this year as a receiver also. Hard to do this when you don't get any time to throw and have to run max protect schemes on a regular basis ....

You assume we are better at stopping the run than stopping the pass? Then calling for a strong safety is not your answer, as the strong safety is usually a run stopped first, and a last resort in pass coverage. Our defense is fine, just add an edge rushed ...

As for Bennett, the guy was hurt this year, playing with a bum leg all year. You say he got no separation, but I can remember four plays where he schooled a DB and was running wide open about 40 yards down the field. Three times resulted in a sack, fourth resulted in an INT. Bennett will be an effective option for us when he is healthy. Give it one more year ...
    I hope you're right. He didn't look like he was injured at the end of the season. I felt I did hold off judgement in the first half of the season....he just didn't look any better at the end of the season. We're stuck with him, so I hope he's got more game than he's showed.

As for Jackson, saying that you cannot build an offense around this guy is absurd.
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I am not single-ing out SJ with this comment. I am making a statement about the power running game. If this is your bread and butter, you will get into too many 3rd down situations, which are drive killers, and you will average 17 points per game. eventually you will run into teams that can outscore you. Again, unless you have a top 5 defense. But my thought is that we are probably a lot closer to putting together a top 5 offense, than to try to the other route by building up the defense from where it is today.

You assume we are better at stopping the run than stopping the pass? Then calling for a strong safety is not your answer, as the strong safety is usually a run stopped first, and a last resort in pass coverage. Our defense is fine, just add an edge rushed ...
    I just don't ever see receivers gettin hit in our secondary. They catch the ball in stride and get dragged down. I would like to see receivers paying the price in our secondary. This is more often than not the SS. As for an edge rusher, yes, we could use one, but I also think Carricker should get more playing time at DE. Our D'line is HUGE with him on the end and Clifton Ryan and Wroten and Glover filling in at DT.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Fortunately the NFC-West is full examples of how not to build a team.

Yes the Cards have talent at the wide receiver position, but are on par with the Rams on the offensive line

True Frisco has Gore, but are unstable at QB

And Seattle, the division champs are more well rounded on offense, and stronger on D.

1. So what is needed is to astablish a solid offensive line.
    2. Yes a speedy WR, MOST DEFINATELY
    3. The defense is a mystery to me. Last I looked its 4 quarters and the defense despite some promise can't play all of them.
    4. Most importantly need someone who knows how to script a game plan that takes advantage of what you do have. You can bet Martz now at Frisco can and likely will give the Rams fits.

Put Linehan as HC of the Pats, or Colts and most likely their fans would be scratching their heads. Its in part a matter of talent, but how you use it that matters equally.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-21-2008, 09:16 PM