Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

paul smith starting fullback

According to linehan in todays post dispatch, paul smith has the edge over hedgecock as the starting fullback. Very interesting, i really like hedgecock a lot and admit no knowledge of smith. What can our experts on the board tell us about smith and his career to date. I know he started a bit for the lions last year and linehan is citing his experience.

I really dont want to see hedgecock get cut. I wonder if we can carry two fullbacks.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Re: paul smith starting fullback

Ya, from what I saw last year, he was an excellent suprise as a rookie. I would hate to see him get cut. I heaven't even heard of this other dude. And if he started last year for the lions?????? Do we really want to be starting something from that offense?

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

Dang! I love hedgecock I really hope we keep him so he can earn his #1 spot back
    Built RAM tough

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Well, Hedgecock is a good player, so if Smith has the edge, he might be a better player, ever think of that one? Maybe it'll be better

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

Paul Smith, FB
    Height: 5-11
    Weight: 237

Smith started 5 games for Detroit last year and only had 4 carries. He looked promising as a receiver with an avg of over 8 yards per catch in limited action. That being said, I am surprised that he is edging out Hedgecock thus far as he has shown some potential.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Hedgecock really impressed me last year and I expected him to do well. He is a great run blocker and he has great work ethic. If he doesnt land the FB job I would love to see him kept on the roster some way
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Hedge may be a solid run blocker perhaps better even than Smith, but can he pick up blitzing lbs or dbs? Smith may simply be able to execute Linny's system better at this point. Also it has been mentioned by more than one fan that Hedge was getting a fair amount of reps as an H-back and displays good hands. Last but not least is the possibility that Linehan is merely exerting pressure on Hedge to get him to crank it up another notch. Don't forget that Hedgecock is a very solid special teams guy who will not hesitate to "sell out" to complete his mission. More than likely it was his special teams play that made him attractive to the Rams. I would really be surprised if his name were not among the final 53....

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Also keep in mind that Smith played for our current offensive coordinator in Detroit last year, so obviously there's some comfort with him over Hedgecock with the staff at this point.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Also keep in mind that Smith played for our current offensive coordinator in Detroit last year, so obviously there's some comfort with him over Hedgecock with the staff at this point.
    No he didn't. Greg Olson had nothing to do with Paul Smith. Greg Olson was the QB Coach in Detroit so they had nothing to do with eachother.
    RamsFan16

RealRam is offline Registered User

In this case, I think bigger IS better! :ramlogo:

At 6-3" 265, there is a definite FB advantage over Smith (see Bruce=GOAT's post No. 5) and, together with what he showed last year, Hedgecock should be able to learn well and execute well whatever blocking assingments are given to his position for this new offense.

PLUS, he plays good ST! Keep him in the roster PLEASE!

bigredman is offline Registered User

It will be interesting to see how the fullback position plays a role in Linehan's offensive scheme. Most teams don't use a fullback anymore. I didn't pay that much attention to Miami last year and their use of a fullback.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RealRam is offline Registered User

According to the Rams Official site (I know, I know...) on Madison:

Strong, physical player…running back plays what once was designated the fullback position…principally blocks for Rams rushers…very proficient in blitz pickup…strong special teams performer…drafted by Rams in the seventh round (251st overall) in 2005 NFL Draft.
    Big Red, it would seem that Coach Linehan plans to use a more-than-usual amount of FB running / blocking plays in his offense, i.e., compared to what the Rams were used to. That's why I hope Hedgecock stays put.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    No he didn't. Greg Olson had nothing to do with Paul Smith. Greg Olson was the QB Coach in Detroit so they had nothing to do with eachother.
    He didn't work with Smith directly but he was on the coaching staff there so he played for him and the rest of the staff. Obviously he would know something about him, as it's rather ridiculous to think someone's coaching the quarterbacks but knows absolutely nothing about the rest of the offensive personnel.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I saw this in the "Fisher has early edge" thread:

Linehan said he plans to start having Hedgecock, who started seven
    games last season, working in more of an H-back role.
    Especially since we don't really have a veteran blocking tight end, I wouldn't be surprised if Linehan doesn't keep both fullbacks on the roster and sometimes deploy one of them in a tight end position in obvious running situations.

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

When I went to camp smith looked really good.

He was the best blocker of any back, and looked like he liked to hit, don't know if it matters but I liked him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast