Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

PD gives some updates on Rams' latest offer to Pace

Rams raise offer to Pace
    By Jim Thomas
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    Tuesday, Mar. 15 2005

If you put general managers from all 32 NFL teams in one room and asked them to
    decide among Orlando Pace, Walter Jones and Jonathan Ogden as the league's best
    left tackle - it would be quite a discussion.

The three players are that comparable, and that close in skill. It is only
    fitting then, that the seven-year, $52.8 million contract Pace is expected to
    sign today with the Rams is on the same wavelength as the contracts for
    Seattle's Jones and Baltimore's Ogden.

Under the Rams' third contract offer - a revised proposal made Tuesday morning
    - Pace will receive:

-$18 million in signing bonus and base salary in Year 1, compared
    with $17.7 million for Jones.

-$22 million in the first two years, compared with $21.7 million for
    Jones.

-$26 million in the first three years, compared with $26.7 million
    for Jones.

In addition, the overall value of the deal is slightly above Jones' $52.5
    million deal.

As for Ogden, Pace will receive $2 million more than Ogden three years into the
    deal, and $1 million more than Ogden after four years.

None of this was true just 24 hours earlier, under the Rams' previous contract
    offer. The Rams were offering Pace $5 million less than Jones after three
    years, according to a source familiar with the negotiations. And that was a big
    sticking point with Pace and his agents.

For NFL players, money received early in a multi-year contract is important,
    because unlike other sports, yearly base salaries aren't guaranteed in
    football. That's a particularly important consideration for Jones, 31, because
    he will be 38 at the end of his seven-year deal with Seattle. The same is true
    for Pace, who turns 30 in November, and would be 37 at the end of a seven-year
    deal. They may not see the end of their deals.

So Pace visited the Houston Texans, the Texans made a contract offer, and Pace
    hinted broadly about the possibility of a change of scenery. But the landscape
    changed Tuesday morning with the Rams' latest - and what one team official
    insists is their last - contract offer.

"This is it," the official said. "He takes it; or he doesn't take it."

If Pace does the unexpected, and doesn't take it, it won't be because of
    economic issues. It will be because he simply doesn't want to play for the
    Rams.

Rams officials remained cautious Tuesday. Pace and his agent neither accepted
    nor rejected the proposal when it was presented. Perhaps Pace wanted to sleep
    on it.

But the Rams are facing a real deadline today. If all the paperwork on any deal
    isn't signed, sealed and delivered to the NFL office by 3 p.m., the Rams would
    lose the right to use the franchise tag on any player for the length of Pace's
    contract.

And going seven years without having a franchise tag designation at their
    disposal is not something the Rams are willing to do. So simply stated, if the
    deal's not completed by 3 p.m., there's no deal. And if that's the case, per
    league rules, the Rams and Pace's agents can't negotiate again for the next
    four months.

In the absence of a contract, team president John Shaw was emphatic Tuesday
    that the Rams would not trade Pace to the Texans or anyone else.

"We're not going to trade him," Shaw said. "Let them do an offer sheet. We have
    no interest in trading him."

Which is a change from the Rams' stance just three weeks ago.

"We put some feelers out," Shaw said. "It had to be a big-time deal. Really, I
    had one conversation with Ernie (Accorsi), and there was never really that much
    of a discussion about it."

Accorsi is the New York Giants' general manager.

"The Giants felt like they didn't have enough firepower to trade, so we didn't
    discuss it," Shaw said.

If the Texans or anyone else signs Pace to an offer sheet, the Rams have the
    opportunity to match the contract - keeping Pace in St. Louis.

And as Shaw said Tuesday, "I can't imagine that Houston's paying him more than
    we're offering him. Who knows?"

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Three
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: PD gives some updates on Rams' latest offer to Pace

Under the Rams' third contract offer - a revised proposal made Tuesday morning
    - Pace will receive:

-$18 million in signing bonus and base salary in Year 1, compared
    with $17.7 million for Jones.

-$22 million in the first two years, compared with $21.7 million for
    Jones.

-$26 million in the first three years, compared with $26.7 million
    for Jones.

In addition, the overall value of the deal is slightly above Jones' $52.5
    million deal.
    Why? Why? Why all the drama? Jones has been signed for a month now. This entire board said (within minutes of the signing) that the Rams should offer a deal at or slightly above Jones and we can get this done. So now a month, 2 trade rumors, and a trip to Texas later, Pace is (allegedly) ready to sign the exact deal that all of Ramdom has been screaming for. Now I'm sure they had to go through the motions of negotiations, but is there anyone that thought this deal would get done for anything other than this?

So to the Rams FO, I ask again...why the drama?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

<i>So to the Rams FO, I ask again...why the drama?</i>
    <br><br>
    I think it is standard operating procedure. If the Rams put their best offer on the table first, it is natural for Pace's agent to think he could get a bit more. In any event, the agent almost HAS to get more than is offered to show he is earning his pay. Also, after years of the Postons making outrageous demands, I don't blame the Rams for low-balling. The Rams didn't blast the Postons for going high, but for going so high there was no where to negotiate in good faith. So, the Rams put forth an offer, and it got negotiated to the right spot just before the end of the negotiating period. I'm fine with it. If Pace is a grown up, he'll be fine with it too, as he takes his $18,000,000 paycheck to the bank.

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

I believe, short of getting a monumental amount in a trade, they were trying to see how cheaply that they could go. Pace and his new agents called their bluff and stood firm. However, I think that we could have reached this point a week or two ago and saved some of the last minute theatrics... :ramlogo:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRamFan
    I believe, short of getting a monumental amount in a trade, they were trying to see how cheaply that they could go. Pace and his new agents called their bluff and stood firm. However, I think that we could have reached this point a week or two ago and saved some of the last minute theatrics... :ramlogo:
    Exactly. This could have been done a month ago, and we could have had a more clear picture going into the FA period.
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy
    I'm fine with it. If Pace is a grown up, he'll be fine with it too, as he takes his $18,000,000 paycheck to the bank.
    I'm sure we're all fine with it. But I'm also sure we would have been more fine with it a month ago so that we could have had this wrapped up before FA period began.

Yea, there's negotiations, and I'm sure they started lower than Jones to open up with, but I'm also sure that both sides knew where the meeting point was and could have gotten there a long time ago.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

moklerman is offline Registered User

I don't know if I'm alright with the idea of having the highest paid offensive lineman in the league. It doesn't seem like good cap management to me. This isn't against Pace, I wouldn't be terribly comfortable if I was a Colts fan and I had to stomach the idea of paying one player (Peyton Manning) $100 million dollars. Pace's deal will be for less than that but isn't he going to be a huge hit on the cap? Less than if he was franchised, but still.

The Rams NEED Pace on the left side but I'm still not convinced that the money wouldn't be better spent distributed throughout the offensive line.