Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

[PD]: Holt's impressive juggling act didn't save the game -- this time

Holt's impressive juggling act didn't save the game -- this time
    By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Monday, Oct. 16 2006

When it happened the first time 13 years ago, Torry Holt was an 17-year-old in Gibsonville, N.C., where he picked tobacco and flipped burgers for clothes money, and starred at wide receiver for Eastern Guilford High.

In a game against county rival Southeast Guilford, Holt sprinted down the middle of the field, shrugged away a defender, juggled the underthrown pass, batted it back to himself, and streaked into the end zone. "Game-winning touchdown," Holt recalled.

On Sunday, Holt reprised the circus catch in the final 2 minutes against Seattle. "The identical play, I promise you," Holt said. Only this time, the outcome was different.

After Holt's 67-yard TD put the Rams up by a point with 1:44 left, the Seahawks came back and prevailed 30-28 on Josh Brown's last-second field goal from 54 yards.

"If I make that catch and we win, it's like, 'wow, this kid may have a job in the NFL," Holt said. "But now with the loss, that kind of gets overlooked. But that's OK."

Holt's employment in the league seems secure. His eight catches produced 154 yards in front of 65,592 at the Edward Jones Dome, pushing him past 10,000 yards for his career. He said that was a milestone he set for himself when he entered the league eight years ago.

"I don't want to sound selfish or conceited," Holt said, "but I'm really, really excited about moving into the 10,000-yard club." He finished the game with 10,013.

Holt's joy was tempered by the bitter loss, though. "It's tough, man; it's tough," he said, shaking his head. "We started out fantastic, and the next thing you know it's 27-21 and we're looking to make a play to give ourselves an opportunity to win the ballgame. And we did that."

Attacking one-on-one coverage, Holt fought off safety Michael Boulware, got his right hand on the ball, then reached back and around to secure it before pulling away for the score.

"I'd call it a lot of luck ... a lot of luck," Holt said.

Quarterback Marc Bulger said: "Great players do things like that. It was just a great play by Torry."

But it wasn't enough. Not this time.

"Any time you make a play like that, you're in total shock, total awe," Holt said. "But it's irrelevant now."

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: More than an "impressive juggling act"

Felt compelled to import my post from the 'Congratulations to Torry Holt' thread. I hope that is okay.

Besides, I feel that Torry's performance today, capped by that awesome 3rd TD catch, was more than an "impressive juggling act". I do like, however, how Coat's article reflects Holt's character and consumate professionalism, even in humble acceptance of a heartbreaking defeat.

Pitty that that terrific TD play wasn't enough to win today but it will stand as one of the finest not only for Torry but as one of the best in the annals of NFL highlights.

What a catch! :r A bomb of a pass, the concentration to stay with the ball and tuck it for the completion -- then wisely changing direction to avoid the LB in pursuit and finally, entering the endzone in [fleeting] victory.

His 1st TD also. I loved the way he snatched the ball in the air; for a split second I thought it would be an incompletion.

And how about the 2nd TD, a beautiful pass / completion dragging that second foot in-bounds. Today was so BIG GAME!

THEFIELDGOAL is offline Registered User

Re: [PD]: Holt's impressive juggling act didn't save the game -- this time

A great player and a true future Hall of Famer. It was a shame for the way
    the loss today happened. But we have to handed to Torry on his efforts
    everyweek and no notice on the main stage that is the TO Sportscenter
    report. If it was not for the Curtis turnover. We would be talking how impressive this team has won in last minute outings. But now we have an
    identity problem. Is this a Offensive power to be or are we a defensive bear to compete with? The bye week will assess this thought hopefully.
    THE FIELD GOAL

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIELDGOAL View Post
    If it was not for the Curtis turnover. We would be talking how impressive this team has won in last minute outings. But now we have an
    identity problem. Is this a Offensive power to be or are we a defensive bear to compete with? The bye week will assess this thought hopefully.
    It wasn't just the Curtis turnover that cost us the game. There are many reasons why we lost, not just Curtis. The Hawks came out in the 2nd half and basically dominated and won the game.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

RealRam is offline Registered User

It wasn't just the Curtis turnover that cost us the game. There are many reasons why we lost, not just Curtis. The Hawks came out in the 2nd half and basically dominated and won the game. -- RamsBruce
    That's one of the more just statements for today's sad loss. Many reasons indeed: our OL collapsed, Bulger being pressured silly (barely escaped a Safety); missed 3rd down conversion opportunities; timing was off on a few passes; penalties ... I still feel the wounds from those! And other reasons.

It was simply a tough break for us, the entire team, coaches included. On the other hand, as stated, Seattle dominated the 2nd half.