• 2 Post By NJ Ramsfan1
  • 1 Post By GROUND DOG 39
  • 1 Post By RealRam

Thread: PD: Jackson to void deal, test Free Agency

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

PD: Jackson to void deal, test Free Agency

Looks like he's testing the waters!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thomas

INDIANAPOLIS • Rams running back Steven Jackson will void the final year of his contract March 12, league sources told the Post-Dispatch on Monday. That means Jackson, the Rams’ career rushing leader, will test the free-agent market.

It’s not a surprising development because all indications have pointed this way over the past several weeks. The Rams simply can’t afford to pay $7 million to a running back who turns 30 this coming summer, which is what Jackson was scheduled to make in 2013. In addition, the move saves the Rams the potential PR backlash of having to release Jackson.

For Jackson, he gets a chance to test the market for the first time in his career. Jackson’s heart may still be in St. Louis, where he has played his entire NFL career since being drafted in 2004. He still could end up with the Rams, but they must now compete for his services with the rest of the NFL.

It’s uncertain what the market will be for Jackson. But more than anything, Jackson wants to play for not only a playoff contender but a Super Bowl contender if possible. He has not played in a postseason game since his rookie season with the Rams.

One of the most likely suitors is Atlanta, which according to reports plans to release veteran back Michael Turner. When you’re as close to the Super Bowl as the Falcons, it makes sense adding a veteran running back — even if he has only a couple of more years left — to get you over the top.

The Rams met with Jackson’s agent at the NFL scouting combine and are still talking. The conversation centers on what form a new deal would take to keep Jackson in St. Louis. But as of yet, the sources indicated that no numbers have been exchanged.

AMENDOLA UPDATE

The other main focus of the Rams before free agency is wide receiver Danny Amendola, who is scheduled for unrestricted status March 12, which is only two weeks away.
    The Rams and Amendola’s agent have been in consistent contact and have talked numbers. Like Jackson, Amendola would like to return to the Rams, but the numbers have to be right. It’s still possible to get a deal done before free agency. But in general, this close to the start of free agency the expectation is that players will explore the market.

OTHER FREE AGENTS

The Rams have shown some interest in bringing back wide receiver Brandon Gibson, but it’s all but a lock that Gibson will have a better opportunity and make more money going elsewhere. With the Rams committed to their younger receivers — Chris Givens, Austin Pettis and Brian Quick — Gibson probably wouldn’t be anything better than the No. 4 wideout in St. Louis, No. 5 if Amendola returns.
    It looks like there is a fair amount of interest in Gibson around the league, and he may have an opportunity to be a No. 2 or No. 3 wideout elsewhere.

Among other pending free agents, the Rams have met with defensive end William Hayes and center-guard Robert Turner and want to retain them.

To no one’s surprise, cornerback Bradley Fletcher won’t be back. He has not received an offer from the Rams, will look elsewhere, and indications are that he will draw interest from other clubs. The writing was clearly on the wall — etched in stone, basically — that Fletcher didn’t fit into the Rams’ plans when he was demoted to the No. 4 cornerback on the depth chart and rarely played over the second half of the 2012 season.

GOOD DAY FOR GOODEN

There may not have been a linebacker who had a better day Monday than Missouri outside linebacker Xavair Gooden. He ran the fastest 40 of any linebacker at the combine — 4.47 seconds — and also was among the LB leaders in the broad jump, 3-cone drill, 20-yard shuttle and 60-yard shuttle. And on Sunday, his 27 repetitions in the bench press tied for fourth-best among linebackers.
    Encouraging signs on Amendola, though!

Rammed is offline Registered User

Re: PD: Jackson to void deal, test Free Agency

It's a step that needed to be taken as far as voiding goes. Atlanta I don't know the team that I think he could well end up is Broncos.
    His career has as many years left as Peyton ie 2 maybe 3. Think he fits the system and guess Manning would love his passprotection. Don't know if the money is there for Denver in terms of the cap.

Torry Holt is online now Registered User

Does it mean Steven Jackson won't be in a Rams jersey anymore ? Is there still a chance he is back with us ?
    Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fierté, et que vous ne lâchez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
    Le prix de la victoire est chère, mais la récompense en vaut la peine.

Rammed is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Torry Holt View Post
    Does it mean Steven Jackson won't be in a Rams jersey anymore ? Is there still a chance he is back with us ?
    It means by voiding he's a free agent and helped himself and the rams by not having to release him and his 7M salary. Now he can sign anywhere including the Rams. At the moment I think after testing the market he'll return as I think the Rams will value him more than the open market does. Plus they might offer him a multiyear contract as the play off/ Super Bowl contenders might want to do just a 1 year deal.
    Torry Holt likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Goodbye SJ, thanks for everything. Have fun with a team like the Falcons (or how about the Patriots who just cleared 15 million from their books!). You've been great, but it's time to move on it seems.

I hope we can secure and keep Amendola for the right price.

Brandon Gibson will look solid somewhere, I have NO doubt in my mind. A team like Houston would be SMART to pick him up and use him as a #2. Guy would be dynamite when teams have to focus on Daniels, Foster, and Johnson.

I hate the fact that we are letting Fletcher go. He is experienced, solid, and at absolute worst he is terrific depth.

THE DREAM TEAM

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rammed View Post
    It means by voiding he's a free agent and helped himself and the rams by not having to release him and his 7M salary. Now he can sign anywhere including the Rams. At the moment I think after testing the market he'll return as I think the Rams will value him more than the open market does. Plus they might offer him a multiyear contract as the play off/ Super Bowl contenders might want to do just a 1 year deal.
    I honestly can't see him returning under any circumstances. You can't tell me there isn't one team out there who is a playoff contender in need of a back for a year or two who wouldn't overpay a bit to land him. And as a team who has entered a youth movement and has made a clear transition from the "old' regime, the Rams not trying to re-sign Steven Jackson is not the worst thing in the world.

It's time to part ways. He's 30 years old. He's been a great Ram and a class act under the most difficult of circumstances for many years. I wish him success and nothing but the best. Another new chapter will unfold in Rams history as we seek his replacement.
    GROUND DOG 39 and sosa39rams like this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't think anyone is surprised by this, are they? This was certainly expected. He wasn't going to get paid $7 million this year, and now he can go into free agency. I hope he is back with the Rams, but if not.....Godspeed, sir.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Hoping he winds up in the land of the blockers and finishes out on top.
    "The horror"

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Voiding his contract was inevitable. The Rams gave him that option fully expecting him to opt out so he could test the market. How could the Rams make him a fair offer at this point in his career if Steven cannot field offers from around the league, thus determining his true monetary value? The Rams may yet retain him - I see it as no worse than 50/50 right now.

Jackson apparently would like a multi year contract - not just a one year deal. By fielding offers from other teams, Jackson can make an informed decision on where he would like to finish his career. In the end, voiding his contract helps both the Rams and Jackson.

I doubt very much if Jackson signs a one year deal. As far as his returning to the Rams is concerned, as a mere fan, I have no clue. If anything, the apparent mutual respect between Steven and the Rams organization, bodes well for the ongoing negotiations between the two parties. More than anything, it will probably boil down to whether or not Steven believes we can be a playoff team sooner than later. It will be interesting to see how this turns out - after the FA dust settles ..

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Will Steven have regrets if the Rams make the playoffs this year?

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I honestly can't see him returning under any circumstances. You can't tell me there isn't one team out there who is a playoff contender in need of a back for a year or two who wouldn't overpay a bit to land him. And as a team who has entered a youth movement and has made a clear transition from the "old' regime, the Rams not trying to re-sign Steven Jackson is not the worst thing in the world.

It's time to part ways. He's 30 years old. He's been a great Ram and a class act under the most difficult of circumstances for many years. I wish him success and nothing but the best. Another new chapter will unfold in Rams history as we seek his replacement.
    This is one of those situations I knew was coming, but now that its actually happening. I feel a little emotional today. But I am still confident the Rams are doing the right thing. Im definitely going to miss Steven Jackson.! Without him playing for the Rams over the last nine years, I think I would have been bored stiff.
    The Rams can find a much cheaper alternative via the draft. As their is a fair chance Fisher will want to utilize a big bruiser at RB this coming season. Looking forward to a younger, faster Rams backfield.
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -02-26-2013 at 05:46 PM.
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.

jjigga3000 is online now Registered User

More than any player that has ever suited up for Rams, I wish him the best. He and Isaac Bruce have been exemplary players and citizens for the Rams. I would really like to see him win a ring. I hope that it can be with the Rams, but wherever he ends up. I'll low key root for that team. Wherever he ends up I want him to end up with us or a Winner. Please don't let it be the Pats.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

If Jax does in fact leave I could see the Rams looking for a workhorse back somewhere in the 2-4 round range... Le'Veon Bell anyone?

RealRam is offline Registered User

2013 is supposed to be the year when the Rams offense improves a few clicks by virtue of experience from individual players -- e.g., JAX -- and the cohesive progress of OL + Bradford + WRs + coaches, etc.

To me, not having Jax would be like taking one step back, a long step backwards. Sure, maybe it would result in taking two steps forward but this would probably take 1 - 3 years to happen without Big J.

Jax and Rams NOW. Front office ... make it happen. NOW.

PS: Steven Jackson, don't leave!

Last edited by RealRam; -02-26-2013 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Don't leave...
    prof22693 likes this.