Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

[PD]: Linehan puts focus on winning

Rams Notes: Linehan puts focus on winning
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    08/10/2007

Dick Vermeil used to say exhibition games don't count, but they matter. Scott Linehan takes it a step further. Preseason or not, Linehan wants to win, starting with tonight's exhibition opener in Minnesota.

"Winning is always important," Linehan said. "That's always No. 1 on our board. Winning the game is why we're going there. It's the reason we're going to Minnesota."

One year ago on this day, Linehan opened his inaugural season as Rams head coach with a 19-17 victory over Indianapolis. But with the offense sputtering, the club dropped its next three contests to finish exhibition play at 1-3.

The Rams haven't done much winning in August since the franchise moved to St. Louis in 1995 compiling winning records in just three of 12 preseasons. And after two of those seasons, the head coach ended up getting fired:

After a 3-1 exhibition record in '96, Rich Brooks was fired after a 6-10 regular season.

After a 3-1 exhibition record in '05, Mike Martz was fired after a tumultuous 6-10 regular season in which he missed the last 11 games because of illness.

The only other winning preseason came in 2001 a 3-2 mark in a year that culminated with the NFC title but a Super Bowl loss to New England.

MINNESOTA, AGAIN

The Rams open this exhibition schedule in the same town where they ended the 2006 regular season: Minneapolis. In one of the best performances of '06, the Rams pounded the Vikings 41-21 on Dec. 31.

Linehan was offensive coordinator in Minnesota for three seasons (2002-2004) in what was his first NFL job. Going back to Minnesota still is special for Linehan, but. ...

"Last year was (special) since it was really the first time I had gone back," Linehan said. "But all that's kind of over. I think it's just about two NFL teams trying to get better in the first game of the preseason."

RAM-BLINGS

Center Andy McCollum missed Wednesday's workout because of a stomach virus but accompanied the team to Minneapolis on Thursday.

There could be other pregame scratches, but the only players who seem certain to miss tonight's game are OT Ken Shackleford (knee) and LB Tim McGarigle (hamstring).

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

majorram is offline Registered User

Re: [PD]: Linehan puts focus on winning

Linehan might want to win but to me I just want to get the hell out of Minnesotta with NO injuires.. who cares what the score IS!!!

steve
    Last edited by majorram; -08-10-2007 at 12:54 PM.
    "The breakfast Club"

supachump is offline Registered User

Re: [PD]: Linehan puts focus on winning

I care what the score is, and I care who wins in the preseason. IMO, it is all about momentum and the players feeling excited about winning and carrying that into the regular season. Start the winning attitude early!!

I will agree that getting out without injuries is priority #1.