Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: PD: Rams already done with Titus Young

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

PD: Rams already done with Titus Young

Rams already done with Titus Young
    1 hour ago • By Jim Thomas

The Rams have officially announced the hiring of defensive coordinator Tim Walton. But the tenure of wide receiver Titus Young is over before it started.

League sources have confirmed earlier reports out of Detroit that Young will be cut by the Rams — just nine days after being claimed on waivers by St. Louis from the Lions.

Young had been at Rams Park just a couple of days this week — meeting team coaches and officials, taking a physical, etc. Apparently, that was enough for the Rams to decide it wasn’t going to work.

In the case of the Rams, better to find out now than the fourth quarter of a tie game in December. Financially, it was a low-risk proposition to begin with because Young was due a base salary of only $555,000, plus a roster bonus of $185,000 due at the start of training camp.

The view at Rams Park was that Young would have to earn his way into the lineup, and they would have the entire offseason — the team’s official offseason program starts April 15 — to observe and evaluate Young and see how he fit in.

Unlike some players, the problem with Young wasn’t off the field in Detroit, it was once he showed up for work. And given what took place this past season in Detroit, the Rams decision to claim him was both an act of supreme optimism that things would work out and a sign of desperation to upgrade their wide receiver corps.

Among Young’s indiscretions last season in Detroit, he:

• Sucker-punched teammate Louis Delmas during volunteer workouts.

• Had a meltdown in a Nov. 18 game versus Green Bay, purposely lining up in the wrong spot in an effort to get the ball thrown to him. This spilled over into a sideline argument between Lions wide receiver coach Shawn Jefferson and offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, the former Rams coach.

• Asked to be released via his Twitter account. He tweeted on Jan. 25: “If y’all going to cut me, let me go. I’m tired of the threats.”

Rob Parker, a Detroit columnist and television anchor, reported Friday morning that Young would be cut by the Rams and that he might not play again.

The Rams declined comment Friday morning; so did Young’s agent, Kevin Poston. However, the topic certainly will be addressed at what was a regularly-scheduled Rams news conference this afternoon.

As for Walton, the former Detroit Lions assistant, was offered and accepted the coordinator’s job on Tuesday. But it took a couple of days to finalize everything, specifically his contract. Walton moved into the picture after Rob Ryan unexpectedly backed out of the job and subsequently ended up as New Orleans’ defensive coordinator.

Turns out Young lasted only slightly longer in St. Louis than Ryan.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: PD: Rams already done with Titus Young

Fisher confirmed in today's press conference that Young will be let go today.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Kind of happy, not going to lie. Hate punks like this one. I un-intentionally called this too!
    Dwight Frye likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

macrammer is offline Registered User

nothing ventrued nothing gained. this guy will most liely just fade away into oblivion.....now about that Bradford debate

RamBill is offline Registered User

Titus Young’s career takes another hit/ SI.com

Titus Young’s career takes another hit

By Chris Burke SI.com

Titus Young’s career takes another*hit | Audibles - SI.com

Shortly after hearing his name called during the 2011 NFL Draft, Titus Young sat down for a video interview with ESPN.

“I’m very humbled,” a beaming Young said over and over, as he was flanked by family and friends. Young then spoke about his relationship with Detroit Lions wide receivers coach Shawn Jefferson: “Worked with him at the Senior Bowl, worked with him at the Combine as well. We had a great connection, I knew he was going to get me.”

Less than two years later, one of the lasting images of the Lions’ miserable 2012 season was that of an exasperated Jefferson screaming at Jim Schwartz, during a loss to Green Bay, to pull Young from the lineup. We later learned that Young refused to line up correctly late in that game, pushing Jefferson over the edge.

Shortly thereafter, the Lions barred Young from practice. They eventually placed the once-promising receiver on injured reserve and later released him.

But the NFL has taught us, with great certainty, that talented players always receive a second chance if they botch their first go-round. And so Young found his way to St. Louis as a waiver claim.

That match lasted all of nine days.

The Rams reportedly decided to cut Young on Friday, a damning indictment of Young’s current situation. St. Louis did not even wait long enough for Young to begin working out with his new team — Young had done little more with the Rams than take a physical and meet with the coaches.

Somehow, during that brief time, he convinced the Rams that he wasn’t worth the trouble, even at the paltry price of about $750,000 for 2013.

And now, Young’s NFL career may be over.

Falling out of favor with one team happens, even if Young’s Detroit departure was rather explosive. To burn a second bridge in a matter of days, however, throws up all sorts of red flags.

Young forced his way out of Detroit by, rather than repenting for his insubordinate actions, taking to Twitter and daring the team to cut him, writing, “I’m tired of the threats.” He also told his former high school coach, according to a report by Dave Birkett, that he thought he was a better receiver than Calvin Johnson.

NFL teams love confident receivers. They do not appreciate players who overvalue their own worth.

Young has done that to an extreme extent.

The Rams were the only team to put in a waiver claim on Young when the Lions bid him farewell. Young, then, likely will go unclaimed during his return trip through waivers, meaning he will be an unrestricted free agent.

Perhaps, somewhere a few months down the road, a receiver-needy team will give him call — his ceiling, from a talent perspective, remains rather tantalizing, as evidenced by his 48-catch, six-touchdown rookie season.

Most (perhaps all) teams will stay away instead, not wanting to be tainted by the toxic aura Young has created around himself.

A lot can change over the course of a couple of NFL seasons. For Titus Young, that shift has taken him from a promising receiver with a world of upside to a locker-room cancer unable to get his act together.

Young appears to be running out of chances. He may already have.

According to Jim Thomas on Twitter...

Rams coach Jeff Fisher says Titus Young will be waived today; says Young's agent has been notified.

Fisher said Young was at Rams Park for 4-5 days this week as part of extended interview process and Rams decided it just wasn't a fit.

Fisher said Young is healthy.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Rams already done with Titus Young
    1 hour ago • By Jim Thomas

<SNIP>

so did Young’s agent, Kevin Poston.

<SNIP>
    Had I known the above going in, I wouldn't have been happy with giving him a chance to prove himself. Anyone dispise that agent as much as I do?

gap

Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    Had I known the above going in, I wouldn't have been happy with giving him a chance to prove himself. Anyone dispise that agent as much as I do?

gap
    It's hard to forget how awful the Postons made the Rams-Pace negotiations.
    evil disco man likes this.

bradwill is offline Registered User

"I hope he doesn't line up at the fries station when he's supposed to be flipping my burger." -Random ESPN comment on Titus Young...........LOL!!!!!

richtree is offline Registered User

Nothing lost --- we move on.....believe in the stash !!!!!!!!!!!
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Fisher said Young is healthy.
    Maybe physically, but mentally he sounds as screwed up as you can get. It only took a matter of days for the Rams to determin this guy was a waste of time. Good riddance.
    Dwight Frye likes this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Boy, things can change quickly, can't they??!!
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Makes you wonder if it has anything to do with possibly wanting to get a guy like Delmas and it not happening just because he's there. The Walton connection would make sense, but I wouldn't blame him if he didn't want to go here because of Young. Not saying that's the sole reason, but I'm just anxious to see how they figure out the whole Craig Dahl situation...lol

It's a real shame about Young. I hope he can grow and learn from what he's done to himself.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

I think the real question now is what the heck am I supposed to do with that customized Rams Titus Young jersey I ordered this week!?

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I think the real question now is what the heck am I supposed to do with that customized Rams Titus Young jersey I ordered this week!?
    That sounds like a true collector's item.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast