Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: PD: Rams already done with Titus Young

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Re: PD: Rams already done with Titus Young

First Rob Ryan, now Titus... It doesn't matter if its reported that we sign Jennings, Bowe, or Wallace.. or even trade for Harvin. I will not allow myself to get excited about a move til the man is holding up a jersey and its official haha.

On a side note about Titus, I think this song sums him up perfectly #HOF:

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

St. Louis Rams' Jeff Fisher explains team's decision to waive former Detroit Lions WR Titus Young
    By Justin Rogers
    February 15, 2013 at 3:42 PM, updated February 15, 2013 at 4:23 PM

During a regularly scheduled press conference on Friday, St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher explained his team's logic in claiming former Detroit Lions wide receiver Titus Young off waivers and why the team ultimately decided to release him.

"We saw Titus as an outstanding young player," Fisher said. "The things that took place in Detroit were well-documented, from a media standpoint. We did not do any background research as far as contacting anybody at Detroit. We're all about trying to improve this roster. We felt like by claiming Titus, we felt we'd have an opportunity to spend a good deal of time with him."

Fisher stated the Rams also considered not putting in a claim, bringing in Young for an interview only if he cleared waivers. The team ultimately decided there was a greater appeal to having a more thorough interview while holding the player's rights as opposed to dealing with him as a free agent.

The Rams brought Young in to their team facilities and conducted interviews and physicals over the course of five days. After completing the evaluation process, the team decided the troubled receiver wasn't a good fit for their organization.

"We felt like we had a good, young group and felt Titus was perhaps better suited for another organization," Fisher said.

Fisher also confirmed that Young's health was not a factor in the decision.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Titus Young -- Too Old now -- a story that got old in a hurry.

Fisher also confirmed that Young's health was not a factor in the decision.
    Actually, it was later reported that Young failed the 'turn head & cough' part of the physical.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I think the real question now is what the heck am I supposed to do with that customized Rams Titus Young jersey I ordered this week!?
    Already received mine by express delivery. Unfortunately, all the numbers & letters are scrambled like one of those verification puzzles. Mine reads "GUY OUT-ISNT 16".
    I feel like I just saw Jesus in a tortilla.....
    live4ramin likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Young’s agent, Kevin Poston.
    That actually explains a ton.

It's like the old saying goes........idiots of a feather, flock together.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Well it may have been short..but its not everyday you get a receiver better than Calvin Johnson on the team.

I sure did savor it while it lasted.
    RealRam, Nick and sosa39rams like this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I think the real question now is what the heck am I supposed to do with that customized Rams Titus Young jersey I ordered this week!?
    Put it right next to your customized Lawrence Phillips and Darryl Henley jerseys.

RamBill is offline Registered User

UPDATED--

Rams already done with Titus Young
    • By Jim Thomas jthomas@post-dispatch.com 314-340-8197

Rams already done with Titus Young : Sports

The Rams have officially announced the hiring of defensive coordinator Tim Walton. But the tenure of wide receiver Titus Young is over before it started.

Just nine days after being claimed on waivers from the Lions, the Rams released the talented but troubled second-year player.

"We will be waiving Titus today — this afternoon — so he will no longer be on the roster," coach Jeff Fisher said at a regularly-scheduled news conference. "His agent has been contacted that we’re gonna release him today."

Young had been at Rams Park much of this week — meeting team coaches and officials, taking a physical, etc. Apparently, that was enough for the Rams to decide it wasn’t going to work.

"We saw Titus as an outstanding young player," Fisher said. "The things that took place in Detroit were well-documented from the media standpoint. We did not do any background research as far as contacting anybody from Detroit.

"We’re all about trying to improve this roster. We felt that by claiming Titus we would have an opportunity to spend a good deal of time with him. We did so."

Fisher called it an "extended" interview. And by claiming Young instead of possibly competing with other teams for Young had he cleared waivers, Fisher said it allowed the Rams to have Young's undivided attention.

"We just felt like he was not the best option for us at that position," Fisher said. "We went into detail. We felt like we’ve got a good young group, and we feel like perhaps Titus is better suited for another organization."

Better to find out now than the fourth quarter of a tie game in December. Financially, it was a low-risk proposition to begin with because Young was due a base salary of only $555,000, plus a roster bonus of $185,000 due at the start of training camp.

The view at Rams Park was that Young would have to earn his way into the lineup, and they would have the entire offseason — the team’s official offseason program starts April 15 — to observe and evaluate Young and see how he fit in.

Turns out it took only a few days. Unlike some players, the problem with Young wasn’t off the field in Detroit, it was once he showed up for work. And given what took place this past season in Detroit, the Rams decision to claim him was both an act of misguided optimism that things would work out and a sign of desperation to upgrade their wide receiver corps.

Among Young’s indiscretions last season in Detroit, he:

• Sucker-punched teammate Louis Delmas during volunteer workouts.

• Had a meltdown in a Nov. 18 game versus Green Bay, purposely lining up in the wrong spot in an effort to get the ball thrown to him. This spilled over into a sideline argument between Lions wide receiver coach Shawn Jefferson and offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, the former Rams coach.

• Asked to be released via his Twitter account. He tweeted on Jan. 25: “If y’all going to cut me, let me go. I’m tired of the threats.”

Rob Parker, a Detroit columnist and television anchor, reported Friday morning not only that Young would be cut by the Rams but that he might not play again.

Young’s agent, Kevin Poston, declined comment Friday morning when reached by the Post-Dispatch.

As for Walton, the former Detroit Lions assistant was offered and accepted the coordinator’s job on Tuesday. But it took a couple of days to finalize everything, specifically his contract. Walton moved into the picture after Rob Ryan unexpectedly backed out of the job and subsequently ended up as New Orleans’ defensive coordinator.

Aussie Dave is offline Registered User

well to be honest im kinda bummed about this, i really thought he had a change to be great here and thought Fish and staff would be able to keep his head screwed on..

that said, im 100% behind Fish and Snead so if they didnt think he was worth it, im down with that.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

His agent is a Poston? Hah! Go figure.

Maybe Coach Fisher was doing his old friend Jim Schwartz a favor...

"Hey, hey, Jim, just to show everyone else how much of a moron Titus Young is, what if we claim him? No other team will touch that scumbag. Then, we can cut him before OTAs even begin. It'd be hilarious."
    gap likes this.

macrammer is online now Registered User

This just in......Titus Young spotted with DeMarcus Russell visiting Ryan Leaf in prison.
    gap likes this.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

good riddance
    Dwight Frye likes this.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Put it right next to your customized Lawrence Phillips and Darryl Henley jerseys.
    ....and the Eric Crouch road jersey.
    Last edited by UK Ramfan 83; -02-17-2013 at 09:28 PM.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

I wouldn't count this kid out yet. Its the NFL, and its a busniess where its win at all cost. The question really is has Young reached the leave of TOXIC on parr with Phillips/Leaf?

The history of the late great T.O. may say otherwise as well as R. Moss. It didn't work out with T.O. in Dallas, Philly and San Fran. Moss history is as stormy a record with a stint in Minnasota, Oakland, Boston, and now San Fran.

Or is it the otherway around? Because of TO/Moss and others that having "difficult" personalities on ones team are now shunned and career's terminated before they really have a chance to get off the ground? All and all it sounds like the Rams dodged a bullet.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    The history of the late great T.O. may say otherwise as well as R. Moss. It didn't work out with T.O. in Dallas, Philly and San Fran. Moss history is as stormy a record with a stint in Minnasota, Oakland, Boston, and now San Fran.
    Owens is dead?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast