RamWraith is offline Registered User

PD: Rams' Curtis appears set for free agency

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    02/25/2007

INDIANAPOLIS The Rams have made an initial contract offer to wide receiver Kevin Curtis. But it looks as if Curtis will test the market once the free agency period begins March 2.

"We certainly would love to have him back," coach Scott Linehan said Saturday. "We've been talking to his representative and those things. But it's too early to tell what the market will be for him, and whether it's workable and doable. We're certainly hoping that at least we'll have a shot at getting him back. I know how it is. He's going to have a number of options."

Teams can't officially negotiate with players from other teams before the start of the free agency period. But it happens all the time, and Curtis is believed to be drawing interest from Detroit, Jacksonville, Minnesota, and San Diego.

Curtis has enjoyed his time in St. Louis, but would like the chance to be a starter somewhere. As long as Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce are in St. Louis, he's probably not going to get that chance with the Rams. Advertisement

In what is a weak free-agent class, teams have lots of money to spend because of increases in the salary cap following last year's collective bargaining agreement. That could lead to some wild spending for players who are merely good _ and not great.

On other topics

Linehan said the Rams plan to keep Will Witherspoon at middle linebacker.

The Rams have talked with QB Marc Bulger about a contract extension, but there's no timetable in getting a new deal done.

The team wants Dexter Coakley back in 2007 as a backup outside linebacker, but only if his contract can be restructured.

Linehan is willing to give cornerback Jerametrius Butler and offensive guard Claude Terrell a fresh start in 2007, and another chance to re-establish themselves on the roster.

Show me the money

How crazy is this year's free agency outlook? The Rams have heard that unrestricted free agent Travis Fisher may get a contract offer averaging $3 million a year once the free agency period begins.

At best, Fisher would be the club's No. 4 cornerback if he returned to St. Louis, which is highly unlikely.

Combine bits

Tackle Allen Barbre of Missouri Southern recorded the fastest 40-yard dash time among offensive linemen Saturday, 4.84 seconds. Gijon Robinson of Missouri Western (and Waynesville High) had the third-fastest 40 time among tight ends, 4.71 seconds.

Two of the top wide receivers in the draft, Calvin Johnson of Georgia Tech and Dwayne Jarrett of Southern California, will not work out Sunday.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Re: PD: Rams' Curtis appears set for free agency

other comments to note on the RB position:

Here's another interesting comment as concerns M. Faulk:
    "He's had no conversations with me," Linehan said. "I don't know how much there really is there. If he truly wanted to play, I'm sure he would've approached me about it. I've been here for 14 months."

Linehan said the last time he spoke to Faulk was before the team's mandatory minicamp last June.

"We've moved on as far as the position," Linehan said. "I thought Steven (Jackson) had a fabulous year for us. ... We just kind of moved forward, and that's what you've got to do. Unfortunately, age and injuries are part of the game."

And this regarding Stephen Davis:
    Stephen Davis proved to be a nice stop-gap last season, and was a good mentor for Jackson. But continuing knee problems limited Davis' ability not only in games, but in practice as well.

Fisher began '06 as the Rams' third-down back before suffering a season-ending knee injury in Game 8 against Kansas City.

"Both are very big question marks," Linehan said. "In the right situation, we'd entertain having Stephen back. But he's not going to be able to go through any of the camp. He's at the end. ... And 'Fish,' he had pretty extensive knee surgery. We'll get to him at some point and evaluate where he's at later in free agency."

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

How crazy is this year's free agency outlook? The Rams have heard that unrestricted free agent Travis Fisher may get a contract offer averaging $3 million a year once the free agency period begins.

At best, Fisher would be the club's No. 4 cornerback if he returned to St. Louis, which is highly unlikely.
    Wow! Thank god Haslett doesn't want to keep him that bad!
    RamsFan16

majorram is offline Registered User

Looks like to me that the Rams might be moving on in the Davis department, didn't know about the knee!! shame I would love steven back!!

steve
    "The breakfast Club"

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

itsguud is offline Registered User

This is going to be a bad year for the Rams signing players. I think Linehan had better take another look at the Faulk situation, if he wants another back at all.

keith m. klink Guest

WOW, i didn't see any of that, or hear anything like that. thats 1-2-3 your out, WOW. that leaves jax and k.j harris. i know j.d. washington is in europe to hone his skills, and i don't even know if rich alexis is on the roster anymore.now does this make the team look shaky, and what does it mean in the draft . DT - DE - WR -RB -LB, this isn't just a backup going away, these are the NEXT THREE options behind our starter. this is going to be an interesting next few weeks of free agency. and as for travis fisher, let's hope its S.F. that give him 3 million a year, go long, BURNED AGAIN TRAVIS.