Rams4Life is offline Registered User

PD: Rams hire Terry Shea

STLtoday - Sports - Rams

Nearly six weeks after a fourth consecutive loss brought the Rams’ 3-13 season to a finish, Scott Linehan still isn’t finished retooling his coaching staff. But the heavy lifting has been done.

“We’ll probably do some reshuffling with the defensive positions, do some assignment shuffling there,” Linehan said Monday. “I’m not sure we’ll add (another) coach.”

Six members of Linehan’s 19-man staff are gone. Four have been replaced from outside, one from inside, and one spot remains unfilled. The latest moves haven’t been announced yet, but Terry Shea will become the quarterbacks coach and Mike Cox probably will move to assistant secondary coach from defensive quality control-assistant defensive line.

Team sources said that Doug Nussmeier, quarterbacks coach the past two seasons, is headed for Fresno State, where he will be the offensive coordinator.

Shea, 61, was the quarterbacks coach in Kansas City when Al Saunders was the Chiefs’ offensive coordinator. Shea has held the same position in Chicago and Miami. Saunders was hired Jan. 30 as offensive coordinator of the Rams, Linehan’s most significant offseason move.

“We’ve added these high-quality, highly regarded people like Billy (Devaney, newly named personnel chief) and Al on offense, and it’s only going to make you better because you’re adding assets to your team,” Linehan said. “You put your egos in check. I spent a good majority of the initial couple of weeks (after the season) just looking and saying, ‘There’s areas that I personally feel I could use help in.’”

Linehan also has brought in Art Valero (assistant head coach-running backs) and Steve Loney (offensive line) and promoted Ron Milus to secondary coach from assistant secondary coach.

Brad Roll, assistant strength and conditioning coach, moved to Oakland, where he will head the Raiders’ strength and conditioning staff. Roll hasn’t been replaced here.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Re: PD: Rams hire Terry Shea

I actually think our coaching staff is beginning to look good overall, Saunders is the big hire obviously but the other smaller pieces of the puzzle are generally people that have had success elsewhere too. It seems like Linehan took a good hard look at himself and his staff and set out to improve it, he knows there's a good chance this could be his last year so he got serious and put all ego aside. Hopefully things will continue like this, Linehan should be especially careful not to start taking over playcalling again and getting too involved with that once the season starts - let Saunders handle that, give him input but let him have the final word.

I'm cautiously optimistic, now all we need is a kickass draft in April.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: PD: Rams hire Terry Shea

I actually think our coaching staff is beginning to look good overall
    I agree this looks very good on paper. Billy Devaney added to th FO as well, we are a lot better.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Shea to be QB coach

Shea will become team's new quarterbacks coach
    By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    02/12/2008

DEC 2007 - Rams coach Scott Linehan
    (Robert Cohen/P-D)

Nearly six weeks after a fourth consecutive loss brought the Rams’ 3-13 season to a finish, Scott Linehan still isn’t finished retooling his coaching staff. But the heavy lifting has been done.

“We’ll probably do some reshuffling with the defensive positions, do some assignment shuffling there,” Linehan said Monday. “I’m not sure we’ll add (another) coach.”

Six members of Linehan’s 19-man staff are gone. Four have been replaced from outside, one from inside, and one spot remains unfilled. The latest moves haven’t been announced yet, but Terry Shea will become the quarterbacks coach and Mike Cox probably will move to assistant secondary coach from defensive quality control-assistant defensive line.

Team sources said that Doug Nussmeier, quarterbacks coach the past two seasons, is headed for Fresno State, where he will be the offensive coordinator.

Shea, 61, was the quarterbacks coach in Kansas City when Al Saunders was the Chiefs’ offensive coordinator. Shea has held the same position in Chicago and Miami. Saunders was hired Jan. 30 as offensive coordinator of the Rams, Linehan’s most significant offseason move.

“We’ve added these high-quality, highly regarded people like Billy (Devaney, newly named personnel chief) and Al on offense, and it’s only going to make you better because you’re adding assets to your team,” Linehan said. “You put your egos in check. I spent a good majority of the initial couple of weeks (after the season) just looking and saying, ‘There’s areas that I personally feel I could use help in.’”

Linehan also has brought in Art Valero (assistant head coach-running backs) and Steve Loney (offensive line) and promoted Ron Milus to secondary coach from assistant secondary coach. Brad Roll, assistant strength and conditioning coach, moved to Oakland, where he will head the Raiders’ strength and conditioning staff. Roll hasn’t been replaced here.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Thumbs down Re: PD: Rams hire Terry Shea

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    I actually think our coaching staff is beginning to look good overall, Saunders is the big hire obviously but the other smaller pieces of the puzzle are generally people that have had success elsewhere too. It seems like Linehan took a good hard look at himself and his staff and set out to improve it, he knows there's a good chance this could be his last year so he got serious and put all ego aside. Hopefully things will continue like this, Linehan should be especially careful not to start taking over playcalling again and getting too involved with that once the season starts - let Saunders handle that, give him input but let him have the final word.

I'm cautiously optimistic, now all we need is a kickass draft in April.
    Very good post. Yes, it's funny how one can tentatively, dare to say things may be looking ...
    good for 2008!?!

:bash: Let's do it ... GO RAMS!
    Last edited by RealRam; -02-12-2008 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Format

BEER is offline Registered User

Talking Re: PD: Rams hire Terry Shea

We were excited about the changes last year and the year before.
    It gives hope, energy, fan base. But is all this the answer?. I think not.
    I think it is a step in the right direction, but, and I do say BUT, I :r
    think it be to little, to late! I do hope im wrong by the way..

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Re: Shea to be QB coach

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    Brad Roll, assistant strength and conditioning coach, moved to Oakland, where he will head the Raiders’ strength and conditioning staff. Roll hasn’t been replaced here.
    Are the Raiders trying to get the #1 pick in 2009 by hiring our assistant strength and conditioning coach to lead their strength and conditioning staff. Don't they know that he helped us get the #2 pick in this years draft with all the injuries our team suffered.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Re: Shea to be QB coach

What happens to Al Saunders' son? I thought he was mentioned as the QB coach at one time?

LinkBacks (?)

1. -02-12-2008, 03:06 PM