Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tomahawk247

Thread: PD: Rams look over QB possibilities at Senior Bowl

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

PD: Rams look over QB possibilities at Senior Bowl

Rams look over QB possibilities at Senior Bowl
    4 hours ago • By Jim Thomas

MOBILE, Ala. • At this point in the process, it seems pretty clear the Rams aren’t taking a quarterback high in the NFL draft. General manager Les Snead basically said as much a couple of weeks ago.

But it still could happen at some point in the draft, perhaps somewhere in the middle rounds. In theory, the Rams could keep Kellen Clemens while drafting a prospect to groom as a backup or potential starter. Sam Bradford has only two years left on his contract, and it never hurts to think ahead or just be prepared for all contingencies — especially at the quarterback position.

With that in mind there are several possibilities on display this week at the Senior Bowl. Some names are more familiar than others. At the top of the pecking order in Mobile is Derek Carr of Fresno State.

If the last name coupled with the college sounds familiar, yes, Carr is the younger brother of former No. 1 overall draft pick David Carr. The younger Carr led the FBS in passing yards (5,083) and touchdown passes (50) this past season. But after a subpar bowl outing against Southern California, the strong-armed Carr is trying to stake his claim as a potential first-round draft pick.

Before his arrival, Carr got some advice from older brother on what to expect during Senior Bowl week.

“My brother told me — you’re gonna be praised, you’re gonna be criticized,” Carr said. “Ignore both because neither matter. Just continue to work hard. They can pat you on the back and they can downplay you all they want, it doesn’t matter. You just have to work hard and continue to be yourself.”

At the other end of the quarterback spectrum is Jimmy Garoppolo, who didn’t have much name recognition other than from those who follow Eastern Illinois University football and the Ohio Valley Conference. But that’s beginning to change. Garoppolo had a good week at the East-West Shrine game and was invited to play in the Senior Bowl even before he was named MVP of the East-West game.

The opening was created when Alabama’s A.J. McCarron declined an invitation to the Senior Bowl. The loss of McCarron was Garoppolo’s gain.

“Personally, I didn’t think about it really,” Garoppolo said. “I don’t want to step on anyone’s feet. Got the invite and I can’t pass up an opportunity like this.”

Garoppolo put up Carr-like numbers in 2013, albeit playing at the lower Football Championship Subdivision, formerly Division I-AA. He threw for 5,050 yards and 53 TDs, with just nine interceptions. He threw for 400-plus yards in five games and threw seven TD passes against Southern Illinois as well as six against both Northern Illinois and Tennessee-Martin.

It’s enough to make Eastern Illinois fans forget about Tony Romo. Well, almost. The Dallas Cowboys’ star QB played there, and his picture is all over the place on campus in Charleston, Ill.

“You can imagine — yeah,” Garoppolo said. “Why wouldn’t it be? He did something great for Eastern.”

Garoppolo has never met Romo, but after the Panthers lost to Towson University this season in the FCS playoffs, he got a call from Romo. Who knows, maybe they’ll have to make room for a couple of Garoppolo pictures at Eastern.

“Hopefully, some day,” Garoppolo said, smiling. “I’m just chasing the dream right now, and hopefully taking one step in the right direction after this week.”

Meanwhile, Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray won’t throw a single pass this week in Mobile. He can’t because of a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee suffered in a late-season game against Kentucky. But Murray is still at the Senior Bowl, meeting with coaches and scouts from several NFL teams.

“I just felt like I needed to be here, to start the (pre-draft) process off,” he said. “Meet some of these coaches, talk to them. It’s not like I can physically go out there and do things. The best thing I can do is get on the (grease) board, show them what I know. Also get them to know a little bit about my personality and things like that.”

Actually, Murray is taking it a step further. He’s sitting in on South squad meetings; the South is being coached by Gus Bradley and the rest of the Jacksonville Jaguars’ staff.

“I just love football,” said Murray, who was invited to the Senior Bowl before his injury. “I love being in meetings. I love learning new things.

“You take any opportunity to learn something new, work with these guys. There’s a reason why they’re professional coaches. It’d be silly for me just to sit there and not do anything.”

Murray had surgery Nov. 26 in Pensacola, Fla., with noted orthopedic surgeon James Andrews performing the procedure. (Rams QB Sam Bradford was there for his ACL surgery with Andrews just eight days earlier.)

Interestingly, Murray says he plans to participate in Georgia’s pro day April 16. Murray won’t run the 40-yard dash. “But the only things I really need to do is go out there and do drops, throw the ball, scramble around, throw on the run — stuff like that,” he said.

The rest of the Senior Bowl quarterback roster consists of Tajh Boyd (Clemson), David Fales (San Jose State), Stephen Morris (Miami) and Logan Thomas (Virginia Tech).

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: PD: Rams look over QB possibilities at Senior Bowl

I don't follow college football very much so I rely on the experts here at the Clan. Who should we target and what round could we land the prospect?

citr92 is offline Registered User

There was talk about Garopollo being under the radar....but also being someone who could climb up the draft boards....

it appears he's been doing so and will probably not fall to the rams

not a fan of McCarron or Murray, but i don't know much else about the other guys

tajh boyd is alright...but eh

so idk really, just gotta look at the competition and how they performed and some clips....all i got lol
    Last edited by citr92; -01-24-2014 at 02:24 AM.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Be wary of reports like this coming out of the Senior Bowl. The Rams also talked with some linebackers, some linemen, and a long snapper. It's just due diligence and makes no suggestion as to what the team will be doing in the draft
    RealRam likes this.