Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: PD: Rams' Saffold will hit the open market

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

PD: Rams' Saffold will hit the open market

Rams' Saffold will hit the open market
    7 hours ago • By Jim Thomas

Although the dialogue continues between the Rams and the agents representing offensive lineman Rodger Saffold, it’s becoming evident that Saffold will not be re-signed by the start of free agency on Tuesday. In fact, one of those agents — Alan Herman — flatly stated that will be the case.

“Rodger definitely will be out in the free-agent market,” Herman told the Post-Dispatch.

Of course, a lot can happen between now and Tuesday. And the Rams could provide millions of reasons for Saffold and his representatives to change their minds before then.

“We had a good conversation with Rodger’s representatives at the (scouting) combine,” Rams executive vice president Kevin Demoff said. “They said all the right things. As Jeff (Fisher) and Les (Snead) said in their interviews, re-signing Rodger is a priority. There’s good dialogue going on.”

Fisher is the Rams’ coach and Snead their general manager.

The parties had talks again this week, and they will talk over the weekend.

“I’m always a believer that at this point it’s more likely than not that a player gets to free agency once they’ve come this far,” Demoff said. “They want to peek behind the curtain.

“My hope is that’s not case. But Rodger has good representatives. They do a good job. We have a good relationship with them. If there’s a deal that comes together, I know we’ll figure it out.

“If there’s not, then he’ll go to free agency and by no means is that the end of this conversation. Hopefully, once it’s there we’ll have an opportunity to figure it out and keep him as a Ram.”

As an example, Demoff cited the case of cornerback Ron Bartell, who briefly reached the free-agent market in 2009. He was strongly pursued by New Orleans but opted to re-sign with the Rams.

“I have high hopes (on Saffold returning), but he’s a talented player, and when you get to this point talented players are in demand,” Demoff said.

“We are having good conversations and hopefully those conversations will wind up with Rodger returning in a Rams uniform. But there’s still plenty of time to see how that story plays out.”

Complicating matters with Saffold is the fact that he’s drawing interest both at tackle and guard. Good tackles generally make more money than good guards.

It’s clear the Rams are more interested in Saffold at guard, although if he re-signs he could open the season at left tackle if Jake Long isn’t ready following knee surgery last January. Some in the industry believe Saffold’s next contract — wherever it is — will come in excess of $6 million per year.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Re: PD: Rams' Saffold will hit the open market

LOL Good luck dude. Not a lot of money out there for oft injured linemen that bounce from position to position because they can't hack it.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I dont understand the "cant hack it comment" and i think that his position flexibility (guard, left tackle and right tackle) is a MAJOR plus. Oft injured is a fair point. I think he looked great as a guard and was an adequate left tackle, still young enough to improve, although not the long term answer at either tackle spot.

Bottom line. If someone pays him left tackle money, he is gone. If we can sign him as a guard, with some extra money thrown in for his position flexibiity and his ability to open the season at left tackle while Long recovers, i think we can get him, and i think that doing so helps provide greater flexibility in the draft.

With Long out, and no one knows how long, if we lose saffold, i really dont see how realistically we are going to get out of round 1 without taking a tackle. We can not be in a position where we get sammy killed before long gets back into action.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    live4ramin and mde8352gorams like this.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Maybe I'm just being overly positive here, but I'm not that worried about the idea of Saffold not staying in St. Louis. I know he's played well when healthy, but I'm very skeptical about giving him a large contract. His history of injuries is pretty bad.

And, on the other hand, if we do sign him, he's a potential pro-bowl OG who can play LT.

Lets just say my glass is half full.
    Mikey likes this.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

If I was a GM, the only thing that would concern me about Staffold would be durability issues. If I can count on Staffold missing games in a season then what is my plan "B" if I elect to acquire him? Injuries are a fact in the NFL, and some teams get a rash of them in a season; there is no plan "B" for that other them some depth and a playbook that works while recovering.

So what is the Ram's plan "C"? If your going to leave him vulnerable for other teams to acquire, who is his replacement? I'd worry more about the Falcons/Texans jumping into the mix unless I have a plan C already figured out

BarronWade is offline Registered User

This might end up helping both parties out

Saffold can leave St louis and go to a division where he will look better

While the Rams might have just saved a chunk of money...Saffold has an injury history that cannot be forgotten...He played well but he is replaceable and their is value to be had in the draft and there are going to be veterans out there that are more reliable in staying healthy

Also if he does end up signing with the Rams I just hope we dont overpay him
    Last edited by BarronWade; -03-08-2014 at 03:54 PM.

macrammer is online now Registered User

From my perspective, we have a guy that when healthy, has proven to be reliable with plenty of upside. Losing him means we have another hole on the line. Drafting a rookie guard is a crap shoot. Could work out could be a bust. What is that worth to Saffold?

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

It would be nice to keep him, as Kevin Demoff indicated. However under no circumstances should we overpay him, and I don't think we will. This is a deep draft for o-linemen and we have a very good o-line coach so life will go on for everyone.

Go Rams!

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Would love to keep him but If he won't take 6 to 6.5 a year, then we should part ways.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Every agent will tell their clients they are the best player ever to play a position--or it seems. And as the resent FA hit the market, it proves the point its a business. Lots of teams WANT to pay certain members of their team to keep them, but the reality is they can't afford to do so. Complicating matters players know their window for making big $$$ is a small one.

Safford is a good player and worth serious money--no one can argue that point. The point however is just how much. At a point the TOO MUCH side makes it a safer bet to take your chances and gamble in your talent scouting staff that they have a replacement(s) in mind.

Coming out of this Saffold drama, there remains 2 questions at least with the Rams O-line that the Rams haven't been able to address. Sadly part of this is to blame on other teams. Lot of them have come to terms with their linemen already and Saffold is putting himself among their ranks. If he proved to be more durable--yes he would be among them, but he isn't a proven DURABLE player.

In the end, Rams should just stop all communication, and move on. Saffold will find a home--just will it be with a contender team or on someone's re-build projects. His window for making $$$ might be a narrow one, but winning a ring is an even narrower one...and if he doesn't want the ring, I don't want him

OK please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Saffold play guard this season because being outplayed by Barksdale at RT? Sure he is versatile that he can play multiple positions, but besides guard, he hasn't played them well.

richtree is offline Registered User

The Baltimore Sun reports the Raiders are expected to sign free agent T/G Rodger Saffold "for roughly $8 million per year."

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    The Baltimore Sun reports the Raiders are expected to sign free agent T/G Rodger Saffold "for roughly $8 million per year."
    BAHAHAHAHA idiots.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    OK please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Saffold play guard this season because being outplayed by Barksdale at RT? Sure he is versatile that he can play multiple positions, but besides guard, he hasn't played them well.

Barksdale came in when Saffold was out during one of his injuries, and was playing too well to take him off the field. I think they tried out Saffold at guard and it clicked, so they kept him there.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I think in hindsight we'll look back at this situation (letting him walk) and we'll see that it was the right move. We can't overlook how often this guy was injured, and how much we would be paying him to start half the season.

I honestly can't remember a player going down so often. Even Amendola seemed to stay on the field more. Saffold was very serviceable for us, but I don't believe he is irreplaceable. Having the extra money will take us a long way toward either another free agent, or general cap room to make moves down the road. I think we'd find ourselves stuck after a couple of years with this contract, and would be counting the dead money as we released him to make room for better prospects.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast