Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: PD: Rams' Saffold will hit the open market

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Re: PD: Rams' Saffold will hit the open market

I think Saffold wants the biggest dollars possible and that will put the Rams out of contention, sadly.

If he can't stay healthy, those big dollars are going to be the reason he gets cut in a couple seasons, and he's not shown that he can stay healthy.

I would think he'd want to play for an up and coming team and would choose security, but I don't think he will. There would be more security with the Rams on a decent deal where he would play OG and spot OT. What good is a huge contract if you only collect a portion of it.

So, I am reading that the teams showing the most interest are Tampa Bay and Oakland. I stand by that statement above. And neither of those two teams will be remotely as good in the next few seasons as the Rams.

If Saffold is chasing the bigger dollars, I think he's making a mistake. If he doesn't stay healthy, he will never play out the contract. Cortland is a clear example of what happens in this situation.

Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    OK please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Saffold play guard this season because being outplayed by Barksdale at RT? Sure he is versatile that he can play multiple positions, but besides guard, he hasn't played them well.
    OG play was weak, and Barksdale played decently enough that getting the best OLmen on the field all at once meant someone had to play OG, and Barksdale wasn't going to be doing that, so Saffold did and was fantastic.
    Semper Fi!

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I learned this AM that the Raiders offer is a 1-year deal. Certainly the Rams would be offering him a multi-year deal for less money, but there would be a guaranteed amount in excess of $8 million, so I don't think the last note has been played in this little melodrama. Welcome to the wonderful world of negotiating.

Go Rams!

bradwill is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Richbert88 View Post
    If Saffold is chasing the bigger dollars, I think he's making a mistake. If he doesn't stay healthy, he will never play out the contract. Cortland is a clear example of what happens in this situation.
    Making a mistake like Cortland? He got 24mil for a year + a few games. I'd love to make "mistakes" like that.

Quote Originally Posted by bradwill View Post
    Making a mistake like Cortland? He got 24mil for a year + a few games. I'd love to make "mistakes" like that.
    Cortland got released. He didn't play out that contract. Good for him he got the 24m. The point is, he never saw the whole value of his contract because he got cut. Sadly, bad teams have to do the guarantee thing.
    Semper Fi!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12