Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: PD: Rams, WR Gibson will part ways; Amendola wants Hartline-like deal

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

PD: Rams, WR Gibson will part ways; Amendola wants Hartline-like deal

Rams, WR Gibson will part ways
    10 hours ago • By Jim Thomas

Free-agent wide receiver Brandon Gibson is looking for a fresh start and won’t return to the Rams next season, league sources told the Post-Dispatch on Saturday.

The Rams were interested in re-signing Gibson, but only to a point as they attempt the annual task of upgrading their wide receiver corps. In a commitment to young wideouts Chris Givens, Brian Quick and Austin Pettis, the Rams wanted Gibson back in a role and for money commensurate to a No. 3 or No. 4 wideout.

But there has been healthy interest in Gibson in the free agent market and plenty of phone calls from other teams as the NFL’s so-called “legal tampering period’’ begin Saturday (or late Friday night outside of the Eastern time zone).

Indications are that Gibson will have a chance for a No. 2 role (or at worst a No. 3) with a contract offer expected soon. The free-agency period begins Tuesday afternoon.

Acquired by the Rams as part of the Will Witherspoon trade with Philadelphia on Oct. 20, 2009, Gibson has caught 174 passes for 2,090 yards (12.0 yards per catch) with nine touchdowns in 54 games for the Rams. Over Gibson’s 3½ seasons in St. Louis, only Danny Amendola caught more passes (187) and no receiver has had more yards or TDs.

Once you get past the “glitter” in this year’s free-agent wide receiver crop, namely Mike Wallace (Pittsburgh), Wes Welker (New England) and Greg Jennings (Green Bay), the market falls off noticeably. With that in mind, the interest Gibson has generated isn’t really surprising.

The lean market also could work in Amendola’s favor. Brian Hartline provided a benchmark of sorts Friday when he re-signed with Miami for a reported $6.1 million a year over five years, saying he gave the Dolphins a home-team discount at that.

That’s the kind of deal Amendola seeks, according to those familiar with the negotiations. That’s more than the Rams are willing to invest, given Amendola’s recent injury history. So he appears headed to the market once free agency starts Tuesday. And if the market materializes as expected by Amendola’s agents, he will be headed to a new team sooner rather than later.

Similarly, the market for defensive end William Hayes is expected to be much higher than the Rams are willing to pay for someone who is a No. 3 end in St. Louis. So he also could be out after recording seven sacks and playing strong run defense last year.

As for running back Steven Jackson, there weren’t a lot of phone calls inquiring about him Saturday according to those close to Jackson. But Atlanta still is regarded as the frontrunner for his services, and the Falcons aren’t the only team interested.

During a barrage of media interviews Thursday and Friday in New York, Jackson sounded very much like someone who has made his mind up to leave the Rams.

“I understand the business side of it,” Jackson told Sirius XM NFL Radio. “I still have a great relationship with the (Rams’) organization, and one day I’ll be going back there.”

Just not as a player. Jackson said it wasn’t about the money, although the Rams were prepared to offer him about $3.5 million to return — or about half the $7 million he was due in 2013 before voiding his contract. More bothersome to Jackson is what shaped up as a reduced role as the Rams commit more to youngsters Isaiah Pead and Daryl Richardson — and perhaps a new back — in the running game.

The Rams’ front office stayed up late Friday and was up early Saturday, making calls and monitoring the first day of the 3½-day legal tampering period. Phone calls with outside free agents are allowed, and so is negotiating. But the NFL sent out memos to all teams saying no contracts can be signed — and teams can’t even agree to terms — until after 3 p.m. (St. Louis time) Tuesday.

With William Moore re-signing with Atlanta, another possible option was taken off the free-agent market for the Rams at safety. But Houston’s Grover Quin remains a possibility, and Detroit’s Louis Delmas could be even more attractive to the Rams now that former Lions secondary coach Tim Walton is the Rams’ defensive coordinator.

At offensive tackle, the St. Louis-based CAA sports agency could hold the key because agents Tom Condon and Ben Dogra represent Sam Baker (Atlanta), Jake Long (Miami), Andre Smith (Cincinnati) and Sebastian Vollmer (New England). The only other “name” tackles represented by other agents are Minnesota’s Phil Loadholt and New Orleans’ Jermon Bushrod.

At outside linebacker, sources said the Rams have at least some interest in Oakland’s Phillip Wheeler and Baltimore’s Dannell Ellerbe. Jacksonville’s Daryl Smith could be another possibility, but he turns 31 on Thursday.

Meanwhile, the Rams have made one-year tender offers to retain a pair of exclusive rights free agents: center/guard Tim Barnes (University of Missouri) and tight end Mike McNeill (Kirkwood High). Exclusive rights free agents are players with fewer than three years NFL experience. Once they are tendered, their only options are to play with that club or not play at all.

richtree is offline Registered User

Re: PD: Rams, WR Gibson will part ways; Amendola wants Hartline-like deal

Goodbye to Danny and Gibson.....I don't know when it became acceptable for every guy that starts to expect to be paid as a top 12-15 player at their position....

Maybe we can invest our money in a RT in free agency and draft 2 WRs in the first 3 picks...

Rammed is offline Registered User

Ellerbe would be an awesome addition. Young ascending player who can play all three spots.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I like Gibson, but he's not the front line playmaker he thinks he is. I agree with the Rams that he's an asset as far as depth, but not worth what he's obviously looking for. I wish him luck, as long as he's not playing the Rams.
    laram0 likes this.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

The ink is barely dry on the Hartline deal & already it's being misrepresented. If Darlington @ nfldotcom had it right, only 12.5 mill of the 31 mill was guaranteed. Meaning he could probably be cut after the 3rd of the five years with minimal dead money & a yearly average cost of about $4-5 mill.

I'd be thrilled to get Amendola back under those conditions.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Richtree View Post
    Goodbye to Danny and Gibson.....I don't know when it became acceptable for every guy that starts to expect to be paid as a top 12-15 player at their position....

Maybe we can invest our money in a RT in free agency and draft 2 WRs in the first 3 picks...
    Wow. No BG and no DA?!?! And then, no Jax?!?! ...Mercy.

I'm quite disappointed about Gibson, was really looking forward to him keep improving and developing his career with the Rams.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Time to get Mr. Greg Jennings on line one so he can put the team on "da back doe"

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Time to get Mr. Greg Jennings on line one so he can put the team on "da back doe"
    Reporter: Ayy Greg, how you feel bout joinin the Rams? Greg: I put da team on ma back doe!
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

FestusRam is offline Registered User

In my opinion, neither Hartline nor Amendola are worth that much mula. Hartline got in the endzone ONE time last year. I don't care if he had 1,000 yards, they don't call it pay dirt for no reason.

Amendola, on the other hand, is great when hes healthy but we all know the large majority of the time he is injured. You know who he sounds like? He sounds like about 50% of athletes who play in the NFL. The majority of them have the skill, but injury plays a HUGE factor in a players success in the NFL. I think Danny, like so many others, is that guy with all the potential in the world who just couldn't stay healthy. He's small and while he plays his heart out, it makes him reckless. This is why I like Austin. He plays hard, but knows when to not take a hit. At first, it was annoying to see Holt hit the deck all the time, but now after seeing Amendola often injured, it seems brilliant.

I think if the F.O. lets Danny walk they are displaying the confidence they have in themselves to find his replacement. They know he is very valuable, but with his substantial injury history, they're not going to get wrapped up in a large contract with him for the production that he MIGHT have. From the looks of it, the F.O. knows he was a game changer when healthy, but if he asks for more than they think he deserves, they'll let him walk and they will move on without even a glance back.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    The ink is barely dry on the Hartline deal & already it's being misrepresented. If Darlington @ nfldotcom had it right, only 12.5 mill of the 31 mill was guaranteed. Meaning he could probably be cut after the 3rd of the five years with minimal dead money & a yearly average cost of about $4-5 mill.

I'd be thrilled to get Amendola back under those conditions.
    We've gotta' sign Amendola- pure and simple. Going into this season with Pettis, Givens, Quick (plus, I assume another draftee or two) doesn't put my mind at ease. 6.1 million over 5 years- which is what Hartline got- is not an unreasonable sum to give Danny. Sometimes you've got to pay a little extra to a guy who brings intangibles to the table and is a fan favorite. I understand the principle of not having the Rams overpay for a bunch of guys- but you need to go into the 2013 season with one trusted receiver given the huge question marks the current Rams receivers present - Pettis and Quick in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    We've gotta' sign Amendola- pure and simple. Going into this season with Pettis, Givens, Quick (plus, I assume another draftee or two) doesn't put my mind at ease. 6.1 million over 5 years- which is what Hartline got- is not an unreasonable sum to give Danny. Sometimes you've got to pay a little extra to a guy who brings intangibles to the table and is a fan favorite. I understand the principle of not having the Rams overpay for a bunch of guys- but you need to go into the 2013 season with one trusted receiver given the huge question marks the current Rams receivers present - Pettis and Quick in particular.
    I understand your reasoning, believe me I want him back badly. However, if were going to get out of him what we have for the past 3 seasons, hes not worth a long term contract worth that much. He hasn't proven he can stay healthy. I'd be nervous investing alot of money on him and just praying every game that he doesn't have yet another injury. Now if they do sign him to a similar contract, I'd be OK with it, as it would give Bradford his favorite target back. But, if they let him walk, I'm not blaming them even is he does manage to stay healthy next season and play lights out for another team.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

God I dread the future thread that goes like: Why did we let go of Gibson/Amendola etc. etc. Hate when somebody does that nonsense.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    I hope he's wrong about Hayes.
    Nick, eric2810, THOLTFAN81 and 4 others like this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    I understand your reasoning, believe me I want him back badly. However, if were going to get out of him what we have for the past 3 seasons, hes not worth a long term contract worth that much. He hasn't proven he can stay healthy. I'd be nervous investing alot of money on him and just praying every game that he doesn't have yet another injury. Now if they do sign him to a similar contract, I'd be OK with it, as it would give Bradford his favorite target back. But, if they let him walk, I'm not blaming them even is he does manage to stay healthy next season and play lights out for another team.

...And your points are valid. Amendola's injury history gives reason for pause, otherwise we're not having this conversation. I just feel as far as money goes, 6.1 million over 5 years is not unreasonable and certainly doesn't kill us with the cap. Sometimes, you have to take a chance, especially one which isn't a huge gamble.

And AV's thoughts about Hayes are right on- our depth would be compromised if we lose him.
    FestusRam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I hope he's wrong about Hayes.
    Yep..and I think we all know he is probably right, unfortunately. I'm not sure how many snaps Hayes played but as the 3rd DE im sure it was considerably less than Quinn or Long. With that said, seven sacks without being a full time player is going to open alot of GMs eyes.

Not to mention he was probably our best run defending DE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast