Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: PD: Rams, WR Gibson will part ways; Amendola wants Hartline-like deal

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: PD: Rams, WR Gibson will part ways; Amendola wants Hartline-like deal

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    We've gotta' sign Amendola- pure and simple. Going into this season with Pettis, Givens, Quick (plus, I assume another draftee or two) doesn't put my mind at ease. 6.1 million over 5 years- which is what Hartline got- is not an unreasonable sum to give Danny. Sometimes you've got to pay a little extra to a guy who brings intangibles to the table and is a fan favorite. I understand the principle of not having the Rams overpay for a bunch of guys- but you need to go into the 2013 season with one trusted receiver given the huge question marks the current Rams receivers present - Pettis and Quick in particular.
    I tend to agree, but all indications are that the Rams are not going to overpay for Amendola. Negotiations apparently went nowhere, with both sides far apart on the numbers. I don't see anything changing. Hope I'm wrong, because Amendola is not only a playmaking game changer, but a safety blanket for Bradford.

general counsel is offline Registered User

The intangibles dont help when he is on the sideline half the time. The odds of Danny getting more durable as he gets older are not good. Fisher and Snead are building a team. They are not going to make decisions with long term cap implications solely on what is best for the team next year. This explains the thinking on both danny and jackson (much as i am in pain over the jackson situation).

Overpay is a tricky word. Different teams have different needs at different times. Said another way, value has different meaning to different people. I like Danny a lot, but he has not been able to stay on the field consistently and i am confident coach fisher can find efficient ways to spend the money.

I continue to believe that a vastly improved offensive line is going to make the skill position players look a lot better and materially aid in their development.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    The intangibles dont help when he is on the sideline half the time. The odds of Danny getting more durable as he gets older are not good. Fisher and Snead are building a team. They are not going to make decisions with long term cap implications solely on what is best for the team next year. This explains the thinking on both danny and jackson (much as i am in pain over the jackson situation).

Overpay is a tricky word. Different teams have different needs at different times. Said another way, value has different meaning to different people. I like Danny a lot, but he has not been able to stay on the field consistently and i am confident coach fisher can find efficient ways to spend the money.

I continue to believe that a vastly improved offensive line is going to make the skill position players look a lot better and materially aid in their development.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Sound reasoning, all of it. But I only partially agree on several points. It is logical an improved line willl benefit the skill players. But our line wasn't terrible last season yet we still were poor offensively. In my mind, that is a byproduct of having less than stellar skill people. Givens looks promising but is hardly a guy I think is a sure-fire star. The jury is out on Pettis. And Quick has done nothing thus far. There is no one else at the position contributing significantly.

The thinking on Amendola and Jackson is NOT the same because each is a different situation. Jackson's best days are behind him, and the lifespan of an RB declines sharply when a guy reaches 30. Jackson has been a great Ram, but it is logical to part ways. With Amendola, although his injuries are a concern, it is conceivable his best football is still ahead of him. He's younger than Jackson- and doesn't have the wear and tear Jackson has on him. And we're in dire need of quality people at the receiver position.

I agree the term "overpay" means different things to different teams based on need and available money. But to my thinking, 6.1 million for 5 years (if the Hartline deal is accurate) is not a huge pay hit for the Rams to give Amendola and is hardly oppressive to the salary cap.
    macrammer likes this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Sound reasoning, all of it. But I only partially agree on several points. It is logical an improved line willl benefit the skill players. But our line wasn't terrible last season yet we still were poor offensively. In my mind, that is a byproduct of having less than stellar skill people. Givens looks promising but is hardly a guy I think is a sure-fire star. The jury is out on Pettis. And Quick has done nothing thus far. There is no one else at the position contributing significantly.

The thinking on Amendola and Jackson is NOT the same because each is a different situation. Jackson's best days are behind him, and the lifespan of an RB declines sharply when a guy reaches 30. Jackson has been a great Ram, but it is logical to part ways. With Amendola, although his injuries are a concern, it is conceivable his best football is still ahead of him. He's younger than Jackson- and doesn't have the wear and tear Jackson has on him. And we're in dire need of quality people at the receiver position.

I agree the term "overpay" means different things to different teams based on need and available money. But to my thinking, 6.1 million for 5 years (if the Hartline deal is accurate) is not a huge pay hit for the Rams to give Amendola and is hardly oppressive to the salary cap.
    I am watching and waiting like everyone else. I am disheartened the Rams have not signed Amendola. on a team with a lack of talent WR slot, this is illogical.....Welker has proven to be quite a mainstay for NE...Amendola has that same potential and sand injuries has proven that. Those type of guys don't grow on trees.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Our RAMS made a big jump last season to 7-8-1. I can't speak for the rest of you but I had a feeling we were in for some unpopular changes. Fisher and Snead are looking to improve on last seasons record, I hope( ). Let's not forget about last season and what Fisher was able to do with the team he had. With that said I have nothing but 100% confidence in what Fisher and Snead are cooking this offseason.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

VegasRam is online now Ram MVP

My (additional) two cents. Gibson I don't care at all, Jackson I'm sixes on, but DA - adios.
    Love your play, and your attitude, but you're a big fish in a small (read untalented) pond.

Guys, Amendola was on the practice squad his first year, (although granted, Philly was loaded at WR), and you don't think Givens is going to have a breakout year?

It IS a copycat league, and everyone's drooling over the next Wes Welker, but what people forget is for more years than not, Welker was all Brady, (and his stellar Oline), had.

Snead and Fisher know what's up, and rightfully passed. And btw, Rams are, like it or not, (party line notwithstanding), still rebuilding.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12