Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Pereira Says Officials Made Wrong Call In Rams Game

Pereira says officlals made wrong call in Rams game

BY JIM THOMAS
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Former NFL vice president of officiating Mike Pereira says referee Ed Hochuli's crew blew the pass interference call in overtime of Sunday's 23-20 Rams loss at San Francisco.

As he read the various newspaper and Internet reports of the Rams-***** game, Pereira said he asked himself: "Am I the only person that thought that pass was uncatchable?"

The play in question was a third-and-2 pass from the St. Louis 45 with just over 11 minutes to play in overtime. The 22-yard penalty put the ***** in field-goal range, and two plays later, Joe Nedney's 29-yard kick snapped a 20-20 tie.

On the play in question San Francisco quarterback Troy Smith, who was in the process of being tackled by Rams defensive end Chris Long, got the ball off, but its trajectory was altered to the point where it landed several yards away from the nearest receiver, tight end Delanie Walker. Walker turned abruptly once he saw the ball was off target, and initiated contact with defender Oshiomogho Atogwe. Atogwe was flagged for pass interference, only the fourth pass interference call against him in his six-year NFL career.

"Was the actual pass catchable?" Pereira said in a phone interview Tuesday with the Post-Dispatch. "It's clearly thrown behind him. I think he had no shot of getting the ball."

On television replays, one official can be seen signaling incomplete after the ball hit the turf. But back judge Don Cary threw the penalty flag. According to the NFL Record and Fact Book for 2010, Cary is in his 16th season with the league and attended the University of California-Riverside.

Pereira now works as an officiating analyst for FOX Sports and addresses the play in his regular report on foxsports.com.

The NFL declined to comment Tuesday, indicating that such questions should be taken up through a pool reporter on the day of game. Attempts by the Post-Dispatch to request a pool report were unsuccessful Sunday.

Tight end Schouman agrees to terms

The Rams have agreed to terms on a one-year deal with former Buffalo Bills tight end Derek Schouman. Schouman had made a free-agent visit to Rams Park last week. To make room for Schouman on the roster, tight end Fendi Onobun was placed on the injured reserve list. Onobun has a bulging disc in his back.

The Rams worked out wide receivers Aaron Boyce and Curtis Walls on Tuesday, but neither was offered a contract.

1,000 tickets remain

As of Tuesday afternoon, about 1,000 tickets for Sunday's home game with the Atlanta Falcons remained available. Barring a 24-hour extension, the Rams have until 3:05 p.m. Thursday to meet NFL sellout requirements and have the game televised locally.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Pereira Says Officials Made Wrong Call In Rams Game

I knew it! I knew it! I knew it!

That was a terrible call and cost us the biggest game of the season!!!!!!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

You just knew a call so blatently bad, that directly affected the outcome of a game was going to be commented on by someone in the know like Pereira.

What upsets me most about it, is that the game day officials seemed to hurry through the process without much discussion. As we all have seen many, many times, officials can have a pow wow, determin the proper call, then the referee waves the flag over his head and says, "There is no pass interference, the ball was uncatchable". Why that didn't happen on Sunday is a head scratcher. Then again, Ed Hochuli was the head idiot making the final call, and we know his history. I wonder if a tearful appology is coming like the one he gave Chargers fans a few years ago. I won't hold my breath.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I think this just makes things worse for me, knowing the outcome will remain the same regardless. We just need to focus on this week, and let that play go.

swatter555 is offline Registered User

Yes, the pass was uncatchable, but the Rams were going to lose regardless. I can easily see them going for it on 4th and 2 and getting it and driving the rest of the way. The Rams defense was a spent shell by that point. That call just made a loss harder to swallow.

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Too late now .... on the other hand, maybe they'll remember they 'owe us one' next month.
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

That wasn't the worst of it. Honestly, I believe that the 49'ers were committing penalties at such a high rate that the refs finally just quit calling anything that was against the 49'ers, or that wouldn't go in their favor to prevent the stigma that they were bias ...

Go back to the TD pass to Crabtree. Hall was literally being hugged by two defenders, and would have easily destroyed Smith if not for the blatant holding. It's comical actually, he was killing the tackle, the tackle was holding him and he was still getting to Smith, then a guard or TE came over and held him from the other side. No way the referees were going to call that again in that situation ...

Judaxi is offline Registered User

I'm going to say the same thing that I say to other fans who complain about losing because of bad calls, we shouldn't have been in the position to let the refs beat us.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    That wasn't the worst of it. Honestly, I believe that the 49'ers were committing penalties at such a high rate that the refs finally just quit calling anything that was against the 49'ers, or that wouldn't go in their favor to prevent the stigma that they were bias .
    I completely agree with this statement. I can't recall what looked to be more blatant fouls in a game in my life! I honestly, didn't think that they were going to call back the touchdown pass after that right tackle pulled James Hall to the ground with him. Sickening!

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Everyone knows it was a bad call, just like the "tuck" rule was a bad call. But it still doesnt change that we lost. The rams are on the right mind set, "we have to forget about it and move forward."

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

I say fire Ed Hochuli from the zebra uniforms, if he comes to ref the week 16 game and makes another obvious bad call. Then there better be a fan jumping onto the field and beating the crap outta him.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I first read the headline to read "Peoria says..." And I thought "Well that isn't really news" until I read it closer. Whoops.

No offense intended peoria!

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

I disagree. Hochuli has been a solid ref for many many years. its too bad he and his crew screwed the pooch for the Chargers... its given him a bad rap. EVERY REF has made a bad call. period. My first job was as a referee and ref's are human.

Like they say, a good reputation takes years and years of hard work and diligence. But it only takes a split second to ruin it. its too bad... cuz he used to be a highly favored zebra until the last few years. demote him maybe... but i disagree with the firing.

But yea, definitely a bad call. we all know it. the ****** know it and the nfl knows it. it is what it is. bring on the Falcons. nuff said.

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

It is what it is. Nothing can be changed now. However, I really wish there was a way to challenge pass interference calls. They are such big calls, some going for around 40 yards. Obviously this wasn't a pass interference, but the play in the first where Bartell was flagged when he was covering Crabtree, it looked like Crabtree had a hold of more jersey than Bartell. I know that challenging penalties won't happen, but I feel like too often, pass interference calls influence games because of how many yards that can go for.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GolfnRAMFAN View Post
    It is what it is. Nothing can be changed now. However, I really wish there was a way to challenge pass interference calls. They are such big calls, some going for around 40 yards. Obviously this wasn't a pass interference, but the play in the first where Bartell was flagged when he was covering Crabtree, it looked like Crabtree had a hold of more jersey than Bartell. I know that challenging penalties won't happen, but I feel like too often, pass interference calls influence games because of how many yards that can go for.
    The problem with moving to the college system of 15 yards and a first down is it gives defensive backs an incentive to wipe out the receiver if they know they can't make any other play. That could also result in more injuries. All in all I agree with the NFL's system, I don't like college's very much.

I doubt the NFL changes anything. Sure that call screwed us, because the call was screwed up, but generally NFL refs make a lot of good calls, and the rule is a good one. The game can't be reffed to perfection, and to do so would make the game so tedious and long that it wouldn't be fun. Unfortunately St. Louis fans (no offense to LA fans) have a few rough memories on some of the most famous bad calls of all time. See Mizzou and the 5th down, Mizzou and Nebraska's kicked ball, the world series out at 1st (if any Royals fans claim it was a good call and to shut up, there is picture evidence that he was out by a mile and a half, but a call is a call).

Still, at the end of the day, I wouldn't have it any other way. it is infuriating, but it makes the game more interesting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast