Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams
  • 1 Post By Tampa_Ram

Thread: Perhaps a New Wrinkle?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Perhaps a New Wrinkle?

Ahh, yes, one of footballs most intriguing, deceptive, confusing, and effective inventions. The AMOEBA defense! Essentially, there is either 0 or 1 guys with their hand in the dirt, it really doesn't matter (1 defensive lineman). Everyone else is standing around the LOS and moving around. This is amazing because:

1) It confuses the offensive lineman to no end.
    2) Doesn't let the QB determine who the MLB is.

It is very effective because its so confusing. Lineman don't know whos coming, and who to block when they do come. Reaction time for most offensive lineman isn't amazing, so we could get to the QB (Rodgers) more effectively from time to time (2-3 times a game we can run it). Also, the QB will have trouble determining

1) How many pass rushers will there be? Do I need to get it quickly to my hot read?
    2) Is it zone coverage? Man Coverage?

Here is an example of the Browns using it (click to enlarge):

Perhaps a New Wrinkle?-image002.jpg

I've highlighted the position groups by colours.

Defensive Lineman = Black
    Linebackers = Blue
    Secondary = Red

You can see that there will be 5 pass rushers on the play. The offensive line doesn't know who's coming, and the QB doesn't know who's coming either. Brady also doesn't know who the Mike LB is, therefore he can't tell if the MLB (D'Qwell Jackson) will be covering his RB or not.

The Packers have run the amoeba defense several times. I haven't seen it much this year, but it is effective, you just cant overuse it. I think it will help confuse Rogers this week, perhaps we can end the play with a sack or turnover, especially with how effective Cortland Finnegan, Jo-Lonn Dunbar, and James Laurinaitis can be blitzing from their respective positions.

GO RAMS!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Perhaps a New Wrinkle?-image001.jpg  
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Perhaps a New Wrinkle?

You send this to Jeff Fisher, you never know maybe we would get a response.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Perhaps a New Wrinkle?

I can see how overusing it would be bad, but if used here and there could be effective. nicely done Sosa, i for one, havent hard of the amoeba defense before today, only the amoeba offense.
    sosa39rams likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

This gimmick has been around for a few years now with the Browns, Redskins, Giants, and Raiders (just to name a few) to give it a try. The problem is you can only use it on obvious passing downs, and once the ball is snapped the assignments are the same, so it comes down to whether the O-line is disciplined enough to maintain their positioning or not. If they are, then the amoeba or quicksand defense offers nothing new.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    This gimmick has been around for a few years now with the Browns, Redskins, Giants, and Raiders (just to name a few) to give it a try. The problem is you can only use it on obvious passing downs, and once the ball is snapped the assignments are the same, so it comes down to whether the O-line is disciplined enough to maintain their positioning or not. If they are, then the amoeba or quicksand defense offers nothing new.
    Im aware and agree with all of this. Not much can go wrong with it. The only advantage it offers (run it once every few games) is the art of confusion. It may not do anything, the o-lineman may lose their focus and it could end up in a sack. Just like when everyone is in regular formation. I just think its something interesting we can try to run once every few games (also, how about a fake punt?).

THE DREAM TEAM

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    once the ball is snapped the assignments are the same, so it comes down to whether the O-line is disciplined enough to maintain their positioning or not. If they are, then the amoeba or quicksand defense offers nothing new.
    I don't think assignments are the issue. It's determining who is picking up which player and recognizing the potential for a blitz and picking it up. Every down, someone is calling out line calls prior to the snap after reading the defense. This would make that potentially more difficult since the calls are far harder to read. If you are the RB picking up a blitzer, this defense would put most into a fit trying to determine the direction.