• 1 Post By rampower
  • 2 Post By MauiRam
  • 2 Post By MACD
  • 2 Post By laram0
  • 2 Post By Barry Waller

Thread: Perspective!!!

rampower is offline Registered User

Perspective!!!

I am sick of the rams rebuilding, we have been doing it for years. Another player clearout!

Still no WR! All the good ones are gone. Chances are Blackmon will be too!

I feel this pain, it hurts. It hurts that Jones would prefer to sign for the seahawks on a one year deal that whilst over paying, screams that he is not in their future plans and big factor in his signing for big bucks/one year could well be seen as not only a player upgrade for the short term but it also ensures we dont get him. It shows despite being a multi millionaire, he went for cash over situation (multi year deal, a place he can call home for a while, coach he knows etc.). Maybe he hopes he plays well and forces them to franchise him next year? More lovely $$$. Who knows. Still "$%^"es me off!

I may be mad, I may wonder why I do this, but I aint dumb either. We are only a week in. We snagged upgrades at CB, C and DT. We have the draft to come. We have a good bunch of oicks in the next 3 drafts. Rome wasn't bulit in a day, the rams seem to be building forever, it really really sucks, but the current FO can not be blamed for everything that happened with this franchise. We have too many holes to go out and over pay for 10 free agents to fix them. Over paying 6 players in this off season would harm us too much, whilst you pretty much have too to get guys, we just cant go crazy.

I am sure we will get an improvement at WR soon. Through the draft this year, next and so on. I hate to wait but I will have too. We have the picks, the players will come. I just have to wait, something I should be good at!

Its nice to have 9 picks in the first 2 rounds of the next 3 drafts. If we hit on 5 of them and sign 2 good free agents in the next 2 years, get those rotatioal guys with the other picks, the job is done. I hope to be honest, we will do better than that. Its nice to have Bradford, Long, Finnegan, Mikell, JL55 and others. We have some nice building blocks to throw those picks into.

This post is aimed squarely ay myself, I needed to take a reality check and vent.

The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Perspective!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rampower View Post
    I am sick of the rams rebuilding, we have been doing it for years. Another player clearout! Still no WR! All the good ones are gone. Chances are Blackmon will be too!
    I think you mean all the best FA wrs are gone .. Yup, they appear to be.

Blackmon? I have had my doubts as to whether Fisher would take him even if he was still available at #6 which is still a sizeable if. I think there is at least an even chance we will trade further down and grab a lineman either on O or D.

I am sure we will get an improvement at WR soon. Through the draft this year, next and so on. I hate to wait but I will have too. We have the picks, the players will come. I just have to wait, something I should be good at!
    Absolutely right - this year and next!! All true Ram fans are good at waiting - we've had a lot of reps in that department ..

Its nice to have 9 picks in the first 2 rounds of the next 3 drafts. If we hit on 5 of them and sign 2 good free agents in the next 2 years, get those rotatioal guys with the other picks, the job is done. I hope to be honest, we will do better than that. Its nice to have Bradford, Long, Finnegan, Mikell, JL55 and others. We have some nice building blocks to throw those picks into.
    I'd include Wells in that B.B. group. We have a good chance to hit on some very solid players in rounds 2 through 4, and maybe some rotational guys in the 6th and 7th. One thing perhaps to keep in mind is that Les likely wasn't hired to be Jeff's yes man. Les has a lot of experience under his belt when it comes to evaluating players, and I fully expect him to prove it in the upcoming draft. I know we need some weapons for Sam, but even more (IMO), we need to bolster our O-line and D-line. As I have said before in other threads, I'd be most content if we spend the rest of our FA dollars on linemen - be it on O or D.

One thing is sure, Jeff and Les will not be tipping their hand as to what their plans are on draft day. They may blow some smoke like every other team leading up to draft day, but we'll have to wait until then to see who they really covet. Should be fun ...
    Truth and mde8352gorams like this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Really no need to react up too much or down too much to anything right now except sit back and watch. I have faith that the new regime will not be same old same old

MACD is offline Registered User

Who are you calling an oick?
    live4ramin and laram0 like this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    I know we need some weapons for Sam, but even more (IMO), we need to bolster our O-line and D-line. As I have said before in other threads, I'd be most content if we spend the rest of our FA dollars on linemen - be it on O or D.

One thing is sure, Jeff and Les will not be tipping their hand as to what their plans are on draft day. They may blow some smoke like every other team leading up to draft day, but we'll have to wait until then to see who they really covet. Should be fun ...
    I agree 100% MauiRam.... I'm in this camp as well.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

History of the Rams 101

!980s--the decade without a QB; Too True, there was Chandler and Everette that offered some hope but it wasn't to be, but when you had a E. Dickerson who needs a QB--save in 1985 where it would have been helpful to have a credible passing game. But at least the Rams had to solid runs at the big prise in the 80s.

1990s--almost the lost decade. Save for at the end can anyone really point to a great team? Too much effort at working with Banks at QB, lots of misteps and wasted opportunities. But finally the Rams took a gamble on 2 free agents--M. Faulk and T. Green! Though if not for the happy accident with K. Warner, it could have been a miserable year for the Rams.

2000s--then END of GSOT...all too soon the most dynamic team seen till that time faded into Football lore. Sadly it was the start of the Rams woes on defense--that still is an issue to this date.

Problem has been for the Rams has been stability. Unlike the Steelers for example, ownership issues have haunted the Rams. Without solid ownership to dirrect the FO toward some goal of success. We all have to admit the owners prior to the sale of the Rams where pretty much absentee. Looking back it seems the Rams where grasping at straws to right the ship rather then focusing on long term investments.

Now it has been 2 HCs in so many years...2 Mega Million dollar QBs--4 offensive lines--5 defensive schemes and a record that best shows woeful results.

I can see the frustration of the Fans here. But the reality here is once again the Rams have to start over--and NO I am not happy with this years Free-agency. Pointing back to the acquistion of M. Faulk and T. Green in free agency, it would seem the Rams haven't yet learned their lesson, but have no choice but to wait and see and hope they know what they are doing

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I feel this pain, it hurts. It hurts that Jones would prefer to sign for the seahawks on a one year deal that whilst over paying, screams that he is not in their future plans and big factor in his signing for big bucks/one year could well be seen as not only a player upgrade for the short term but it also ensures we dont get him. It shows despite being a multi millionaire, he went for cash over situation (multi year deal, a place he can call home for a while, coach he knows etc.). Maybe he hopes he plays well and forces them to franchise him next year? More lovely $$$. Who knows. Still "$%^"es me off!
    Jones hit free agency after playing out of position at DE in a 4-3, so his market wasn't as good as he hoped.

I'm pretty sure that the Rams had a multi year deal for Jones to play at DT. The Seahawks run a 3-4 so he will be playing DE there. And he only signed for one year. This screams to me that he wants to play just the one year so he can get paid better if he plays well this year. Maybe he wanted to play at DE. Maybe he wanted to get eligibility to be a DE if he were to be franchised next year. Either way, if he doesn't want to play here, I don't want him. Kendall Langford will be a decent DT, especially against the run. And i'm sure we will try and get another in the draft

mh-i is offline Registered User

If like last season the Rams best WR going into the 2012 season is Danny Amedola the Rams offense and more directly Sam Bradford are in a heap of trouble. What they have on the rost right now is an embarrassment.

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i View Post
    If like last season the Rams best WR going into the 2012 season is Danny Amedola the Rams offense and more directly Sam Bradford are in a heap of trouble. What they have on the rost right now is an embarrassment.
    Last year was Billy D's and Spagnuolo's first rodeo as GM and HC respectively. Thankfully this is not the case with Jeff Fisher .. Jeff consistently produced very competitive teams in spite of a very difficult owner when coaching for the Titans. Good teams are balanced teams, and surely Jeff knows this. When we have gone through final cuts prior to the first regular season game, if you still feel "embarrassment" then feel free .. By then, however, we will likely have the opportunity to scoop one or two "released/cut" players in areas of need from teams with an overabundance of talent at positions where we are thin.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

If Blackmon is gone I bet we can still come away with Floyd and maybe even Hill.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    By then, however, we will likely have the opportunity to scoop one or two "released/cut" players in areas of need from teams with an overabundance of talent at positions where we are thin.
    I don't like that plan. I'm not sure how many teams will have an overabundance of good wide receivers. At least it's not something I would count on.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

The BIG difference with this chapter of the rebuild is that we have a real and experienced head coach doing it. Not a promising former OC or DC. I'm very excited about the squad Fisher is and will be putting together. Let the games begin!
    MauiRam and r8rh8rmike like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i View Post
    I don't like that plan. I'm not sure how many teams will have an overabundance of good wide receivers. At least it's not something I would count on.

Who said anything about a "plan"? What I alluded to was the fact that every team in the league will have to release players to get to their final roster limit. Some of those players will just be "guys," - camp bodies to ease reps on other players. That said, there will also be a few players with good talent that fall victim to the numbers game. All 32 teams will be scrutinizing the players available after final cuts are made.

Here is what you can count on: We may not know how the Rams view Blackmon, Floyd or Hill at this point, but we will come away with a receiver or two or three in the draft. There will be good talent available through at least round three - recognizing it will be up to Les and Jeff ..

Laramo put it succinctly into two sentences ..

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    The BIG difference with this chapter of the rebuild is that we have a real and experienced head coach doing it. Not a promising former OC or DC. I'm very excited about the squad Fisher is and will be putting together. Let the games begin!

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MACD View Post
    Who are you calling an oick?
    (LMFAO) I propose that this years "oick" is last years "excellent depth" if thats OK with you all?
    "The horror"

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

We must keep in mind that this team is not trying to fix everything this year. They must protect Bradford as the #1 priority, and continue to build a defense that can carry them to the playoffs, like the Niners did.

They have NINE top two round picks the next three drafts, plus three third rounders.
    Hopefully that adds 12 starters to the roster, and you never know what later picks could be hits.

You can't go out and sign starters where you have 22 tied up for three year plus deals, because who are these young guys coming in gonna replace? Right now you have Bradford, Jackson, Wells, Saffold, Dahl, Long, Quinn, Langford, Finnegan, Mikell. Laurenaitis, as sure long time starters.

That's 11 spots taken. So even if Fletcher, Stewart, Smith, Amendola, and Kendricks are replaced, you have more than enough high draft picks to get all your starters and top backups (RB,OL,DL,DB)

The way it's set up, the Rams must add a lot of one year guys in free agency, this year and next. Next year, if they make a big jump in 2012 and have just a hole or two to fill, maybe they add another top free agent or two.

This new group must keep to a long term plan over fans impatience, and I think they will.
    Barry Waller