Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sbramfan is offline Registered User

perspective and concerns

Glad to get the win....Titans are a good football team. Seems like every team is pretty darn good these days so every win is big.

#1. Mike Martz has seriously lost his ability to keep defenses off balance. He opens up the game with his, now famous to me, play where 2 TE's line up in pass formation, then shift back to become blockers (one at FB) for a run. It's really a waste of a shift and is not setting something up for later.

#1a. Faulk is not being utilized enough. Faulk and Jackson need to be used as a dual threat, with Faulk mostly coming out of the backfield for passes. Not just switching in Faulk when Jackson needs a breather.

#2. The defensive blitzing is nice to see, but Billichek would have easily adapted to the Rams over committment to the run and blitzing. All they had to do was run some screen plays, etc..

#3. The defensive turnovers are nice and this defense is significantly more opportunistic than last year....BUT it's not like they were actually stopping anything the Titans were doing. It just seemed lucky that they got a number of turnovers in between sessions of getting shredded by the Titans offense.

#4. Time for Barron. The Rams will win only a couple more games all year if they can't stop opposing defenses from pushing through to Bulger. Perhaps it's also time for Claude Terrell to come in for Timmerman?

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: perspective and concerns

Quote Originally Posted by sbramfan
    The defensive turnovers are nice and this defense is significantly more opportunistic than last year....BUT it's not like they were actually stopping anything the Titans were doing. It just seemed lucky that they got a number of turnovers in between sessions of getting shredded by the Titans offense.
    The Titans had 335 yards of offense.

They averaged only 3.6 yards per carry on the ground.

McNair had a QB rating for the game of 76.1.

The defense held the Titans to field goals on two drives in which they started deep in Rams' territory due to turnovers.

The Titans' longest drive of the day was 53 yards.

When did the shredding occur?

I must have missed that part.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

It was a tough win, but the D played well. If not for those turnovers deep in our territory this game would have been a blow out.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

AJD45 is offline Registered User

Sorry, but the Titans are *not* a good football team. This game was a set up and the Rams botched it. After the garbage from the NFL of the two road games in a row to open, this was the perfect patsy for the Rams to fatten up on at home and get their season on a roll. The Titans should have been their punching bag in a laugher. Instead we got the same old bungling, mental errors, lack of discipline and poor special teams play that have defined the last few years -- and which are ultimately traced back to the coach. It almost dug an early hole too deep to climb out of, only a fluke mistake by McNair kept it from being 17-0. A good team would have beat the Rams today, but because it was the Titans at home, they got a lucky win.

Sorry if this is too much of a downer; by no means am I saying "they suck", just calling it as I see it. I think we have decent chance against NY next week -- mostly because I don't think NY is that good, either -- and I still have to believe the Rams can do better (such is the curse of fandom). But if the Rams repeat this performance they will lose to the Giants -- guaranteed. And do we really have any reason to believe the stupidity of penalties and poor field position due to bad special teams will change after all the lip service that hasn't changed a thing over the first three games?

RealRam is offline Registered User

AJD45 ... :tut

I respect your "...just calling it as I see it" commentary.

However, I believe your observations of today's game, both regarding the Titans as well as the Rams are a ... crass mistake, a poorly surmised view and a sad statement of contrariety.

I'm glad you see we have a "decent chance" Vs. Giants next week. :up:

RealRam is offline Registered User

Granted, of course, we do have the dire need (for now I'll avoid the plural form on 'need') to drastically reduce those costly penalties! No doubt.

Ramman68, GREAT SHOT of the Rams at tight D formation! Nice pic!

sbramfan is offline Registered User

The Titans' longest drive of the day was 53 yards.

When did the shredding occur?

I must have missed that part.
    The Titans started with the ball near mid field on many drives, which is why their longest drive of the day was 53 yards.

If shredding has to do with total yards, then perhaps is not the right word. What I'm trying to say is that, on the drives where the Rams got turn overs, the Titans were moving the ball, in the passing game, with ease. The Rams were real close to being down 17-0.

The defense was awesome and had some great stops to allow only a FG. They were actually the bright spot on this day. But I don't see much consistency on either side of the ball.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

#1. Mike Martz has seriously lost his ability to keep defenses off balance. He opens up the game with his, now famous to me, play where 2 TE's line up in pass formation, then shift back to become blockers (one at FB) for a run. It's really a waste of a shift and is not setting something up for later.
    Not only that, but it seems like at times he really just devotes the play calling to one aspect of the offense. Run, run, run, run, run. Pass, pass, pass, pass. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't, but it'd be nice to see a better mix.

#1a. Faulk is not being utilized enough. Faulk and Jackson need to be used as a dual threat, with Faulk mostly coming out of the backfield for passes. Not just switching in Faulk when Jackson needs a breather.
    The problem with using Faulk as a dual threat with Jackson on the field is that you lack a lead blocker if you're going to run the ball, unless you shift one of them into the slot and move a TE into the backfield. Using them both is going to work sometimes, but I think they're doing a decent job utilizing the two of them now.

#2. The defensive blitzing is nice to see, but Billichek would have easily adapted to the Rams over committment to the run and blitzing. All they had to do was run some screen plays, etc..
    Perhaps, but I guess we'll never know if that would have worked or not. You can't really say that would have worked with any certainty, but that sounds like the smart adjustment. Jeff Fisher is a fairly smart head coach though, me thinks.

#3. The defensive turnovers are nice and this defense is significantly more opportunistic than last year....BUT it's not like they were actually stopping anything the Titans were doing. It just seemed lucky that they got a number of turnovers in between sessions of getting shredded by the Titans offense.
    Bend but don't break means you have to bend sometimes. The defense did a good job containing the ground game, though it did give up some runs at times, and created a lot of turnover opportunities. Travis Fisher did not have a good game, and has me worried about how he's going to match up against guys like Marvin Harrison, Terrell Owens, Joe Horn, etc etc.

#4. Time for Barron. The Rams will win only a couple more games all year if they can't stop opposing defenses from pushing through to Bulger. Perhaps it's also time for Claude Terrell to come in for Timmerman?
    Either Timmerman or Nutten. I haven't been exceptionally impressed with either, but then again, I haven't been able to watched the games so what do I know? It seems like Terrell had a great camp/pre-season only to get benched out of no where. I'd like to see him get a shot on the line, because I think he would help us control the line and make some holes for Jackson more than Nutten or Timmerman can right now.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AJD45 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    a ... crass mistake, a poorly surmised view and a sad statement of contrariety.
    The Titans are a bad team, the Rams should have blown them out at home, they didn't, and if they keep playing like this they will lose to every good team they play (and also drop games they should win against awful teams like in week 1). I don't see what is "crass" about saying that, and I certainly don't see it as poorly surmised since we now have three games of evidence showing the same old lack of discipline, stupid drive-killing penalties and lackluster special teams play resulting in poor field position. If you disagree with my ultimate opinion drawn from the observations, fine, but to think it "poorly surmised" is in error.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Travis Fisher did not have a good game, and has me worried about how he's going to match up against guys like Marvin Harrison, Terrell Owens, Joe Horn, etc etc.
    Fisher looks very slow too me...

.ramfan. is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos
    Fisher looks very slow too me...
    Fisher's performance this week has everyone a little worried. Lets hope he just had a bad game and does better next week against NY. As always...

GO RAMS!!! :clanram:

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I really enjoy reading this type of thread. I'm a realist and felt the Rams should have blown out the TITANS going into this game. The fact that they started out so slow concerns me. Time for this team to get agressive on all teams. Bulger is to slow mentally and physically.
    The first quarter of that game was on him , time for Mark to get pissed and take over this league.

As far as the Giants go......they're over rated ,this should be a close game, one that the Rams can win !

:clanram:

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler

Either Timmerman or Nutten. I haven't been exceptionally impressed with either, but then again, I haven't been able to watched the games so what do I know? It seems like Terrell had a great camp/pre-season only to get benched out of no where. I'd like to see him get a shot on the line, because I think he would help us control the line and make some holes for Jackson more than Nutten or Timmerman can right now.

I agree with you here and i would also like to see Saipia play the other guard spot !!!!

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Saipia is a good guard just isnt quick or tall enough to play tackle! He certainly has a mean streak!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by laram0
    I'm a realist and felt the Rams should have blown out the TITANS going into this game.

I just checked your score prediction and you never called a blow out :tongue:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast