Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Pete Prisco serves Tye Hill a glass of Haterade

Five rookies who will struggle

Tye Hill, CB, Rams: He's going to be a good player -- down the road. But so far he has yet to crack the starting lineup, which shouldn't happen on the Rams since they don't exactly have great corners. Hill has been used as the nickel back during preseason, but when you use the 13th overall pick on a player, there's no way he shouldn't be starting on a defense that needs a corner upgrade. Down the road, this choice will look laughable. But for now, it fits.
    Link

Two things. One, the Rams didn't use the 13th pick on Hill. Two, his only reasoning is that Hill is going to struggle because he hasn't cracked the starting line-up? Nice of Prisco to mention not a thing about Hill's actual performances thus far. Heaven forbid a journalist actually generate his list of players who will struggle by actually watching the rookies play!

Hill needs to print this and tape it to his locker for the season.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Re: Pete Prisco serves Tye Hill a glass of Haterade

Hill has been used as the nickel back during preseason, but when you use the 13th overall pick on a player, there's no way he shouldn't be starting on a defense that needs a corner upgrade.
    Third, I haven't seen Hill used as the nickel back this preseason. I've seen Butler doing that and Hill playing on the outside with the 2s. Correct me if I'm wrong.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZagRam View Post
    Third, I haven't seen Hill used as the nickel back this preseason. I've seen Butler doing that and Hill playing on the outside with the 2s. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    That is correct. He's pretty much a starter when the nickel/dime defense comes out, and they use the two most physical corners (Brown & Fisher) in the 4-3 lineup.

Fourth, Prisco didn't even bother to take into account the Rams' injuries at CB last season along with the free agent acquisitions in the defensive backfield. The fact that Butler is our fourth CB gives me great hope and expectations for our secondary this year.

RealRam is offline Registered User

It must be a credits pre-requisite of their respective colleges ... for some of these sports writers ... to have taken a full 20 Hr. course on being a Chef specializing in Cooking Crow!

You know, instead of a nice, plump and juicy turkey for Thanksgiving, you must know how -- and be ready to prepare on short notice -- a large, stiff and tough crow -- all the trimmings too.

I wonder if Prisco even reads parallel articles, like the one that Wagoner produced today in the Rams website:

Hill Adjusting Well
    Sunday, September 3, 2006

Pete, pal, don't forget your famous Special Prisco Sauce. You will certainly need it since nobody else is going to eat that masterpiece. Yummy!

PS: fine, granted that PP wrote the 'Five rookies who will struggle' Menu a couple of days ago, i.e., before Wagoner made his positive remarks on Hill. Still, it seems the black bird is being marinated well in advance by the CBS Senior Writer. That's good planning.
    Last edited by RealRam; -09-04-2006 at 02:06 PM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

All young CB have growing pains, thats a given.

He's going to be a good player -- down the road
    He says he will be good right, so why is it going to be laughable if he is going to be good.

Down the road, this choice will look laughable. But for now, it fits.
    Why does it fit now if the Rams can't start him. He makes it sound as if we wasted a pick.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Prisco needs to give the kid a chance. Time and playing experience will be all Hill needs. :x

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    He says he will be good right, so why is it going to be laughable if he is going to be good.
    I see you picked that up as well, I was just about to point out this inconsistency too. Nice way for a sportswriter to hedge his bets huh? It sure is harder to make a wrong prediction if you simultaneously predict several conflicting outcomes, although you do run the risk of someone noticing, and then you look like a fool regardless

A couple of years ago I actually thought Prisco was one of the better journalists covering the NFL, but these last 2 years or so, he has been talking almost exclusively out of you-know-where.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

So Pete is predicting that Hill will struggle to make plays when he's not on the field, but later when he gets on the field he'll be a good player.

Um... thanks for that analysis. :x

Rambos is offline Registered User

So Pete is predicting that Hill will struggle to make plays when he's not on the field, but later when he gets on the field he'll be a good player.
    Now it makes sense thanks AV.

norcalramfan is offline Registered User

when have you ever seen a rookie corner start in this league and not struggle. pete sounds like a guy who still thinks that vietnam was a police action!!