Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Peter King mentions turnover of Rams roster

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Peter King mentions turnover of Rams roster

Peter King has a brief mention of the Rams turnover of players in his latest article:

I don't think I've ever heard of a team that had such a major roster turnover from one year to the next as the Rams from 2011 to 2012.

Exactly 60.4 percent of the roster is new: 32 of 53 men.

Exactly 60.4 percent of the roster is comprised of first-, second- or third-year players.

That means of the Rams' 53-man opening day 2011 roster, 20 players are still on the team this morning ... while 24 are out of the league. (The 21st Ram on the roster both years wasn't on the roster opening day last year -- Justin Cole, a linebacker signed from the Chiefs' practice squad in November.) So apparently a very young team in 2011 was not very young and talented if one year later, 45 percent of the men on the opening day roster aren't in football a year later.

GM Les Snead and coach Jeff Fisher will have one honeymoon season and another season where progress must come quickly. And then Missourians will want results, and they'll want them now.
    I obviously knew the roster was quite different, but i didn't realise it was 60% new players on the team! That's obviously vastly different to last season. And it's a surefire sign that Fisher and Snead are looking to improve this team.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: Peter King mentions turnover of Rams roster

Not interested in any "three year plan" or ready-made excuses for why success this season isn't possible. Every year it's a variation of the same themes of new regime, new roster, new schemes,tough schedule, etc.and so forth. I'm sick of it. YES, there will be an adjustment period and I don't expect division titles just yet, but my sights are a bit higher this season than a "honeymoon period' of failure from Fisher and company. Competetive, funamentally sound football from week to week would be a start.
    ZiaRam likes this.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Not interested in any "three year plan" or ready-made excuses for why success this season isn't possible. Every year it's a variation of the same themes of new regime, new roster, new schemes,tough schedule, etc.and so forth. I'm sick of it. YES, there will be an adjustment period and I don't expect division titles just yet, but my sights are a bit higher this season than a "honeymoon period' of failure from Fisher and company. Competetive, funamentally sound football from week to week would be a start.
    I agree. I don't think fans will be willing to give Fisher, Snead et al a free pass after years of free passes under Spags, Linehan, Haslett etc
    THOLTFAN81 and ZiaRam like this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I agree. I don't think fans will be willing to give Fisher, Snead et al a free pass after years of free passes under Spags, Linehan, Haslett etc
    I think there is a difference between giving them a "free pass" and understanding that it is unlikely they can assemble a team with as much talent as the Packers/Pats in one off-season working with one of the worst rosters in the NFL to start. Reasonable improvement should be expected, but superbowl or bust should not be our mantra quite yet.
    RamDez, RealRam, Rambos and 3 others like this.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I think Berg is dead on. The roster simply lacks talent to be a high level competitive team. That has been the case for many years. At the end of the day, that blame falls on whoever is picking the players. THe coach can only coach what he has. If anyone believes that the Rams in 2011 with that offensive line and those injuries would have been a winning team with bellicheck they are kidding themselves.

Fisher will have material input into personnel selection. Thus, at some point, if they dont win, he will bear responsibility for it. However, i think the stat above pointing out how many rams from last year are completely out of football says it all for the talent level of prior years. We have had a tendency on this board (me included) to think that some guys on our roster are better than they really are because we compare them to other players on the field for the Rams. That is the worlds tallest midget analysis in many respects.

More than anything else, talent prevails. It is not the only factor, as hard work and luck are also of paramount importance, but it is a critical factor in deciding winning and losing, both in football and in life.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Rambos, MauiRam and berg8309 like this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Rams fans say we are only going to win 3 - 5 games this year and they are fine with that. But we all know better. As soon as we looked bad in a per-season game their true feeling came out. We are sick of losing football games period. That being said there are no quick fixes for this team. We are in a total rebuild now, after Fisher and Les sent the last few holdovers packing over the weekend.

I also agree with Berg and GC that we did not have the talent here prior to Fisher and Les to win. It's clear that Fisher believes in his staff, bring us YOUNG talented players and we will coach them into NFL players. Unlike the last regime that could not coach up the younger players. They started to go with left over vets and plug them in, which did not work and left us as an old team. Now we are insanely young football team. It will take time to develop the talent but don't tell Fisher that.

"We know the history here, but we deleted it and hit the reset button, and here we go," Fisher says. "This is a real young team, too, but in some ways that's an advantage. You have to learn how to win before you can win, and you have to make sure that you don't ever allow that Oh, here we go again thing to come in. But we have so many young players who want to win. And like I said, nobody has told me we can't win a championship this year."
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-04-2012 at 12:15 PM.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Problem is Fans think they know more than folks who do Football 20 hours a day. Truth and fact is we had an owner who died and a team that was in Limbo for several years. We now have a new owner and this is really his first year with his people in place.

At the end of the day it all falls on the man calling the shots. Change has to come from above. I believe this team will do good. Win a Super Bowl this year? NO, but competitive yes.
    Rammed likes this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

60.4% turnover? What does that say about DeSpags?!

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    It's no shock when Spags picked up Jerome Murphy or Shotty picked up Matthew Mulligan to play in his scheme and we cut Hoomanawanui. Even players want to sign with coaches that they have had success playing in certain schemes, Llyod now with McD.

This is what happens every time a team changes a head coach. That's why the owner needs to hirer a GM and Coach that can build the team to play a specific philosophy that he wants and STAY the course. None of us fans want to hear five year plan, but the realty is it will take five years before we are ready to make a run at the SB. We have no choice but to be patience (easier said the done), if we keep changing coaches and turning over rosters we will never get out of the cycle we are in.

Lets hope we overachieve this year, catch some breaks and put up a decent record during the process of the rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I just read Sando's comment on the ESPN power rankings that the Rams have more Fisher draft picks on the roster right now than Spagnolo picks. I didn't check that out for accuracy, but if true, wow.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Lets hope we overachieve this year, catch some breaks and put up a decent record during the process of the rebuild.
    A dash of "Good Luck" coming our way would be welcome as well - we've had enough of the other kind lately ..
    FestusRam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    I just read Sando's comment on the ESPN power rankings that the Rams have more Fisher draft picks on the roster right now than Spagnolo picks. I didn't check that out for accuracy, but if true, wow.
    I think we have more UDFA that Les and Fisher brought in then daft picks from Despags.

While 24 are out of the league.

This says what the other teams in the league thought of our roster... 24 can't find a job 24!

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    While 24 are out of the league.

This says what the other teams in the league thought of our roster... 24 can't find a job 24!
    Just curious if you know the numbers for some other teams, if that is an unusually high amount. Teams are cutting from what, 90 at the beginning of camp to 53? There will be a lot of guys out of work.

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    Just curious if you know the numbers for some other teams, if that is an unusually high amount. Teams are cutting from what, 90 at the beginning of camp to 53? There will be a lot of guys out of work.
    That means of the Rams' 53-man opening day 2011 roster, 20 players are still on the team this morning ... while 24 are out of the league.
    He is not talking about this year 90 players we had. He is saying of the 53 man roster we started the season with last year, 24 have been cut and did not find work in the NFL.

2011 was not very young and talented if one year later, 45 percent of the men on the opening day roster aren't in football a year later.
    Just about half our roster could not find a job that's scary. I can't imagine that if the Packers cut half their roster 45% would be out of football.

My guess is thats a high number.
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-04-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast