Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    txramsfan is offline Registered User

Peter King on the Rams at cnnsi today

He has the Rams being lucky to win 6 games this year. One spot ahead of the Raiders on his power ranking poll. Why? O line. Tend to agree. Pace has to stay healthy. Cogs really hasn't done much since he's been here. Barron can't get out of his own way. Greco will have every opportunity to win a starting position in camp. I hope he does and the Rams move Barron to G, to me that would be the best scenario for the O line. Could be a long year again for Bulger. It all depends on Bennett and Avery. Oh my, I just realized what I typed and I started to feel real sorry for Bulger.

Anyway, maybe after 2008 we shore up the O line in the draft and my prediction of a playoff spot in 2009 is legit.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Peter King on the Rams at cnnsi today

It all starts in the trenches and last year proved that. This team has a lot of areas to improve, as does every team, but the reason we lost last year was because of the insane number of injuries to the O-line and no pass rush from the D-line. If we have a healthy and cohesive O-line along with consistent pressure from the D-line, I don't see any reason why these Rams can't compete with the top dogs in the NFC in 2008.

Two more words: Al Saunders.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

I don't think the O-line will be so bad that the Rams will be "lucky" to win 6... Rams are after all, still in the NFC West!

Besides, Linny has added a sand pit to protect against high ankle sprains... that'll do Linny.... that'll do

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think there is reason to have hope for the O line, as long as the injured players come back healthy.

Orlando Pace, if healthy, is still one of the top LTs in football. Barron is not as bad as some assert. True, he gets flagged WAY too often, but he doesn't get beat all that much.

Inside, Bell is an upgrade, and their should be some healthy competition for the C and RG spots between Setterstrom, Incognito, Romberg, Fry and Scheuning.

Greco is the wild card. He could emerge as the RG or the RT.

I'm not too concerned with power rankings in May.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think there is reason to have hope for the O line, as long as the injured players come back healthy.

Orlando Pace, if healthy, is still one of the top LTs in football. Barron is not as bad as some assert. True, he gets flagged WAY too often, but he doesn't get beat all that much.

Inside, Bell is an upgrade, and their should be some healthy competition for the C and RG spots between Setterstrom, Incognito, Romberg, Fry and Scheuning.

Greco is the wild card. He could emerge as the RG or the RT.

I'm not too concerned with power rankings in May.
    IF, Greco can win the RT spot from Barron, moving him inside with Bell, that would drastically improve our O line. Greco is the wild card, but from everything I've read about him he's a stud. Moving Barron inside would cut down on drive ending penalties. What they say is true, it's easier when it's 3rd and 2 instead of 3rd and 7.

However, there is one more wildcard. Pace. The Rams cannot afford another injury to Pace this year. If that happens, the O line crumbles. I know we all said last year injuries decimated the O line. Well, who is to say it won't happen again this year? I hope not. I really do, but if Pace goes down this O line goes down again. There is no backup for Pace except maybe Barron. That's where Greco comes in. His training camp might be the most important for the Rams. In order for this O line to work, he has to win a starting spot.

However, that's just my opinion. That and 5 beers on Lake Travis while driving a boat gets the LCRA to arrest you. Just ask Cedric Benson.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

"Monday Morning QB" is an appropriate title for King's column because he's just throwing stuff out there. He has no idea how effective the Rams OL will be. He's basing his opinions on Pace getting injured again and Barron being a below-average player, both questionable assumptions IMO. He also makes no mention of the upgrades that have been made or the massive injury issues from 2007.

Let's face it, there is no way we repeat what happened last year. Getting healthy will make a huge difference, the addition of Bell and Greco will only improve things and Settlestrom, Incognito and Romberg all have another year under their belts and will be much more effective after being battle tested last year under the most dire circumstances.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Did anyone expect the Giants to win last year? At any time before the clock hit zero in the super bowl? No, it doesn't matter what people think of us in May, though it would be nice to see us higher in the rankings, of course. That said, King put us about where I expected him to. Of course you put the crappy teams from last year at the bottom, that's where they were when they last played.

All it does is give the Rams more bulletin board material to get them psyched up for the year. I fully expect us to be closer to the other end of the rankings when the year comes to a close. Health is the name of the game.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

6 games is actually a three game improvement from where we finished last year! There are so many question marks concerning the Rams this year and most of them revolve around rookies or second yr players, who could go either way. Let's see where we are after a quarter of the season is done.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Settlestrom, Incognito and Romberg all have another year under their belts and will be much more effective after being battle tested last year under the most dire circumstances.
    Ok, I get all that but how good is Setterstrom, Incognito and Romberg anyway? Cogs seem to take Turely type penalties and to me Strom and Romberg are just "breather" backups. Backups that are just good enough to spell the starters every now and then.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Ok, I get all that but how good is Setterstrom, Incognito and Romberg anyway? Cogs seem to take Turely type penalties and to me Strom and Romberg are just "breather" backups. Backups that are just good enough to spell the starters every now and then.
    These guys have had to perform in the most extreme situations and have done reasonably well IMO all things considered. Sure there are some questions, but again, I think they have all been made tougher by having to fight through the adversity and will be better for it in 2008. Time will tell, but I'm confident we'll see improvement.

keith m. klink Guest

Didn't he say last year that the BROWNS would be lucky to win 3 games. HUH, I sure wish all these guy's that know everything before the season even started could help me with my damn stock portfolio , these guy's have to be making a killing on that whole seeing into the future thingy.

He's right though , we should just cash in and try for DIV. III .

Ok, before we go into the customary Clanram "all writers are idiots and know nothing about what they are talking about" mode, Peter King is a very well respected writer for the NFL. Of course, no writer gets everythring right. He probably did have the Browns winning three games last season but who knew how effective Derek Anderson would turn out to be?

If we here at the Clanram held the Rams players on the field to the same accountibilty that most of y'all do with writers, this site would be more full of negativity than frat boys at a bar on nickle beer night.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    this site would be more full of negativity than frat boys at a bar on nickle beer night.
    That would upset me- I hate when everyone isn't all gung-ho and Rah-Rah all the time....

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I generally don't have a problem with Peter King, other than the fact that he seems to be a Patriots fan (of course, his daughter goes to my undergrad school, Tufts, which is in New England, so that might be the reason).

I'm not saying that the Rams OL is a sure thing. I just think there are enough building blocks there that, with a little good fortune, it could come together nicely.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast