throwback week

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Peter King: Rams "expected" to hire Gregg Williams as DC

mh-i is offline Registered User

Re: Peter King: Rams "expected" to hire Gregg Williams as DC

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    Plus I think we have more talent than the Saints do on defense.
    Really? LOL
    ManofGod likes this.

SLSG Guest

I think the Rams have "potentially" better pass rushers. That's whats Williams like too. If the Rams can add an OLB,CB and DT with upgrades, then the Rams could have a better D than the Saints. A big if though. Trading down to acquire more picks and a couple fa's could make it work.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Per Rotoworld + Adam Schefter

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Saints DC Gregg Williams is "expected" to join Jeff Fisher's staff in St. Louis.

Schefter rarely passes along pure speculation, so the odds appear high Williams has indeed coached his final game for the Saints. Schefter reports former Rams head coach Steve Spagnuolo and Dolphins DC Mike Nolan are both possible replacements in New Orleans.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Guess whos going to replace Williams in NO? Spags is a top candidate there, its a great trade-off for both teams.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Actually, Flip may very well be right.

"
    There's already been some 140-character outbursts of complaint on Twitter about Williams coming to St. Louis after yesterday's game. New Orleans isn't loaded with talent on their defense. In fact, every Rams starter on the defensive line grades higher than the Saints front four according to the regular season grades from Pro Football Focus. All of the Saints' linebackers graded negatively. Compare
    Jonathan Vilma's
    -19.0 overall score with
    James Laurinaitis
    ' 5.6 overall score.My point: Gregg Williams comes to St. Louis already having better talent to work with than he did this season in New Orleans. "

Hmm, nice. And if we had Bartell/Fletcher/Murphy we would have been an actually good defense.

I think were on our way up next season, top 10 perhaps.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Once again, as I stated to someone else in the other thread, you clearly didn't watch the full game and just saw the final score. Explain to me how you think a defense that puts it's team into a position of a one score game, after the offense hands them FIVE turnovers, is a bad performance. The Saints should have lost by 30.

That game is on New Orleans' offense, not the defense by any means.
    I did see the entire game. If you blow 2 leads in the final 5 minutes it's on the defense no matter how many turnovers there were.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i View Post
    I did see the entire game. If you blow 2 leads in the final 5 minutes it's on the defense no matter how many turnovers there were.
    So SF has a bad defense? Because they blew 2 leads in the same span...SF just had the ball last.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Fans are so impulsive and irrational sometime. Its like the last game they watched is the only evidence of whether a player or coach is good or bad. Williams is still a top DC. The Saints offense really contributed to the points scored by the niners and the lack of execution out of the Saints defense. The D was worn out by the 4th thanks to the offense.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Actually, Flip may very well be right.

"
    In fact, every Rams starter on the defensive line grades higher than the Saints front four according to the regular season grades from Pro Football Focus. All of the Saints' linebackers graded negatively. Compare
    Jonathan Vilma's
    -19.0 overall score with
    James Laurinaitis
    ' 5.6 overall score.
    I find that hard to believe, especially with the garbage year Fred Robbins had. Put a fork in him, he's done. And (Race) Bannan ain't anything to crow about either.

Can't believe that the Saints D Line is as bad as a unit that was the worse in the league against the run.

Having said all that I am hoping that Fish gets his man for our new DC.

Rambos is offline Registered User

From a Saints fan on Williams.

Unlike what 31 other NFL teams would have done, Williams had the Saints blitzing will a late lead. Of course, this philosophy is what brought the Saints to the dance. If Williams had played prevent, the end result may have been the same, but in a different way. However, I can't blame Saints fans for being angry at Williams right now.

Unless Williams makes derogatory comments about New Orleans at a later time (a la Jeremy Shockey) I choose to focus on the positive when it comes to everyone who helped the Saints win Super Bowl 44. I'm not saying we should be content with one Super Bowl. I'm just looking at the whole picture as a Saints fan.

Remember, the Saints defense was so bad before Williams arrived that New Orleans actually had two non-winning seasons in 2007 and 2008. I still feel that Williams was forced to blitz so much to cover for a serious lack of NFL talent at linebacker and a perplexing inability of the defensive ends to generate pressure on opposing quarterbacks.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

I still feel that Williams was forced to blitz so much to cover for a serious lack of NFL talent at linebacker and a perplexing inability of the defensive ends to generate pressure on opposing quarterbacks.

Agreed ... He won't blitz as much when he is with us soon, however we do have better D-linement. And I think we might be a better fit for williams blitz schemes

rubberneck Guest

Saints fan here. Yes, the saints have relied on the offense to win, but Gregg has had some games that were in control go out of control. He lacks discipline especially at the end of the game. Saints went 14-4 this season. Offense won all 14 games. The defense never could manage a win. Yes, the saints lack talent on defense, but...

Yesterday, we were losing the battle against Vernon Davis all day. Grilliams kept blitzing and putting a safety to cover Davis. With 40 seconds left, he did it again...blitzed and put man coverage, leaving Davis singled up. The whiners picked up the blitz. Davis easily beat Harper (again) for a 48 yard catch. Logic dictates Alex Smith was looking for him, and yet Grilliams allows the defense to be burned for a huge play. Of course they go to Davis in the end zone again, TD, game over. It was a terribly coached series. I doubt Jeff Fisher will give him complete control of the defense like he had in New Orleans.

Bring on Spags though...we'll take him.

SLSG Guest

If they could have got to Smith, he couldn't have made that throw, huh ? The Rams have the personnel to get to the QB. Spags didn't blitz enough. He mostly relied on the DL. GW will be a welcomed addition here in St.Louis. With mega cap space over the next couple years and a #2 pick to use for a trade down, the Rams could become a pretty darn good team quickly. The Rams were 3 plays away from being 10-6 in 2000 with a bad team.

rubberneck Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SLSG View Post
    If they could have got to Smith, he couldn't have made that throw, huh ? The Rams have the personnel to get to the QB. Spags didn't blitz enough. He mostly relied on the DL. GW will be a welcomed addition here in St.Louis. With mega cap space over the next couple years and a #2 pick to use for a trade down, the Rams could become a pretty darn good team quickly. The Rams were 3 plays away from being 10-6 in 2000 with a bad team.
    There is 40 seconds left on the clock and the whiners are on the 33 yard line. Look...sending 6 and ignoring their best option with 40 seconds left is a huge gamble, and Williams tossed snake eyes. You don't need a sack fumble to win. You just take away the big play and keep em off the sidelines...time runs out. At least keep them out of the redzone.

Saints blitzed the most out of any team this year, but we were probably in the lower 3rd of sacks. Drew Brees and the offense gave him the ability to be aggressive. You really think the Rams are ready for that? The guy is a good coach, but he was wrong. Hope he learns from it.

SLSG Guest

The Saints D blew 2 leads late in the game, but it was their D that kept them in the game after 6 turnovers and short fields from their offense. Their D shut down the 9ers most of the game. Without the turnovers, the Saints win by 21 and GW is a great DC.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast