Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Peter King: Rams "expected" to hire Gregg Williams as DC

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Re: Peter King: Rams "expected" to hire Gregg Williams as DC

I am going to explain this very simply. Williams defense thrive on turnovers, that is why he runs a blitz heavy scheme. He forces the QB under pressure to make bad decisions. As good as our starting CB's can be at coverage our ability to catch interceptions apparently left when OJ did. What everyone saw in the game against the 9ners is a defense that thrives on making the QB uncomfortable against a QB that is not mentally weak, as much as anyone doesnt want to admit it Smith is a mentally strong QB under his new coach. What is worse is that when Williams saw that he couldnt get under Smiths skin, he kept blitzing. He never even tried to go to zone to stop the passing, he insisted on single covering Vernon Davis who happens to be one of the worst matchup nightmares in the NFL. Does all of this make him a bad DC? Absolutley not, but it does make him a DC that this team does not need right now. He can run that system on a team that can put up 30 points a game because the offense can bail him out. Our offense cannot do that. Williams will be a bad hire.
    md8 likes this.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    I am going to explain this very simply. Williams defense thrive on turnovers, that is why he runs a blitz heavy scheme. He forces the QB under pressure to make bad decisions. As good as our starting CB's can be at coverage our ability to catch interceptions apparently left when OJ did. What everyone saw in the game against the 9ners is a defense that thrives on making the QB uncomfortable against a QB that is not mentally weak, as much as anyone doesnt want to admit it Smith is a mentally strong QB under his new coach. What is worse is that when Williams saw that he couldnt get under Smiths skin, he kept blitzing. He never even tried to go to zone to stop the passing, he insisted on single covering Vernon Davis who happens to be one of the worst matchup nightmares in the NFL. Does all of this make him a bad DC? Absolutley not, but it does make him a DC that this team does not need right now. He can run that system on a team that can put up 30 points a game because the offense can bail him out. Our offense cannot do that. Williams will be a bad hire.
    Hes an NFL coordinator I'm pretty sure he can make adjustments. He realizes he has Drew Brees tossing the ball all over the field and that can bail him out in any game. So yeah why wouldnt he take chances.

I think he will understand that the Rams offense isnt even in the same galaxy as the Saints, therefore, his blitzes will be in certain situations, not every down or two. Coaches in the NFL adapt all the time(Mcdaniels excluded) so I'm going to sit back and see what happens next year.

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    Hes an NFL coordinator I'm pretty sure he can make adjustments. He realizes he has Drew Brees tossing the ball all over the field and that can bail him out in any game. So yeah why wouldnt he take chances.

I think he will understand that the Rams offense isnt even in the same galaxy as the Saints, therefore, his blitzes will be in certain situations, not every down or two. Coaches in the NFL adapt all the time(Mcdaniels excluded) so I'm going to sit back and see what happens next year.
    If he can make adjustments then why didnt he make any on the last drive when is was obvious that there would be little to no time left for brees to bail him out

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Didn't take us long to start feeling negative again did it?
    THOLTFAN81 and Tampa_Ram like this.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Its a mistake to judge anyone on the evidence of one game, let alone Gregg Williams.
    THOLTFAN81, Rammed and lostsoul like this.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

If he can make adjustments then why didnt he make any on the last drive when is was obvious that there would be little to no time left for brees to bail him out
    What adjustments could he make? Vernon Davis just went off. On that last TD pass, Davis was surrounded by Saints, Smith put the ball where only he could get it, and a New Orleans safety was still in position to hit Davis and try and stop the TD. But despite the hit, Davis holds on to the ball.

There is only so much a scheme can do, but ultimately you need your players to make plays, and that didn't happen.
    MauiRam and RockinRam like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Top 3 DC's in the NFL : Dom Capers (Packers), Dick LeBeau (Steelers), Gregg Williams (Saints).

Man, Capers sucks! His team let the GMEN score 37 points yesterday! Damn man, LeBeau sucks too! He let the Broncos score 29 points on wild card weekend!

Even the best DC's have their bad days...So lets all relax here.
    Tampa_Ram and Flippin' Ram like this.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rubberneck View Post
    There is 40 seconds left on the clock and the whiners are on the 33 yard line. Look...sending 6 and ignoring their best option with 40 seconds left is a huge gamble, and Williams tossed snake eyes. You don't need a sack fumble to win. You just take away the big play and keep em off the sidelines...time runs out. At least keep them out of the redzone.

Saints blitzed the most out of any team this year, but we were probably in the lower 3rd of sacks. Drew Brees and the offense gave him the ability to be aggressive. You really think the Rams are ready for that? The guy is a good coach, but he was wrong. Hope he learns from it.
    Is it the coach or the players? I remember seeing a Saints defender (39??) about 3 yards from being in a perfect position to defend that pass, but he was covering nothing but a spot on the field. Was he spying the QB to prevent a scramble? Maybe he was trying to decide which player to cover. I don't know, but if he would have moved back with Davis, he'd have been in position to defend the ball. That to me sounds more like player than coach. If that pass is defended, the game is essensially over.

gap

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    What adjustments could he make? Vernon Davis just went off. On that last TD pass, Davis was surrounded by Saints, Smith put the ball where only he could get it, and a New Orleans safety was still in position to hit Davis and try and stop the TD. But despite the hit, Davis holds on to the ball.
    Maybe he could have switched to a zone defense that would be more effective against the pass instead of being obsessed with blitzing every down.

There is only so much a scheme can do, but ultimately you need your players to make plays, and that didn't happen.
    I just want to point out that this is hilarious to me because I continually said this about spags and was harshly rebuked. I guess it's only the coaches fault when we need a scapegoat.
    fearsome foursome likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Top 3 DC's in the NFL : Dom Capers (Packers), Dick LeBeau (Steelers), Gregg Williams (Saints).

Man, Capers sucks! His team let the GMEN score 37 points yesterday! Damn man, LeBeau sucks too! He let the Broncos score 29 points on wild card weekend!
    Who said Dom capers is one of the best DC's in the game? His defense is ranked 19th this year with weighted statistics despite having playmakers like woodson, mathews, raji, williams, and hawk.

The Steelers game was a different scenario. Home games are a distinct advantage for Denver due to the thin air. Such a distinct advantage that the Steelers leading tackler and run stopper was held out of the game due to health reasons, I assume I dont have to stress how important stopping the run is against the broncos. Besides that by the end of the first quarter the entire Steelers defensive line was out with injuries, also both pro bowl outside linebackers were playing with nagging injuries for the Steelers. So lets just say that LeBeau was handicapped a bit with that game.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

I believe there were two Saints turnovers that were not forced - for sure one on a kickoff return - the other I can't remember. There were at least three turnovers that were forced (5 total?). The Saints defense in spite of all those turnovers managed to keep the game close until the very end. Smart coaches scheme according to the talent they have available, and do their best to disguise their weaknesses. If the Fish wants Gregg, it's fine with me. It isn't Gregg Williams fault the Saints offense kept coughing up the ball. Given the total amount of Saint turnovers, it is amazing the game was as close as it was ..
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Maybe he could have switched to a zone defense that would be more effective against the pass instead of being obsessed with blitzing every down.
    On the final play in question, the Saints had three down linemen who rushed Smith, and no other players went after the QB

As for zone coverage, if you look at where the Saints players run straight after the snap, especialy Jonathan Vilma turning and running straight into the endzone you can see it's a zone coverage. This is also seen by Scott Shanle passing Davis off onto the safety rather than staying with him.

So there was no blitz on the play, and there was zone coverage.

md8
    md8 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i View Post
    Really? LOL
    I think it's close and if we add just a couple of decent(don't even have to be good) LBs and a DT, and I think we are no doubt better.

We have a much better dline. They have 2 good Safeties, but I think Mikell is better than both. I think Laurinaitis is better than Vilma, but the rest of our LBs are horrible, while NO has some decent ones. CBs are pretty close when we are healthy, but I think NO has the edge slightly.

Overall, I think our top defensive players are better than theirs. It's just they have a bunch of ok players while we have horrible ones. Signing a few average players shouldn't be too hard.

md8
    md8 is offline Registered User

Who said Dom capers is one of the best DC's in the game? His defense is ranked 19th this year with weighted statistics despite having playmakers like woodson, mathews, raji, williams, and hawk.
    Yeah GBs defense had extremely underperformed this year with great defensive players. I don't see him as a top defensive coach.

Anyways Williams kept using man coverage against davis when he's their main threat. Take him away and SF can't move the ball quickly.

On the final play in question, the Saints had three down linemen who rushed Smith, and no other players went after the QB

As for zone coverage, if you look at where the Saints players run straight after the snap, especialy Jonathan Vilma turning and running straight into the endzone you can see it's a zone coverage. This is also seen by Scott Shanle passing Davis off onto the safety rather than staying with him.

So there was no blitz on the play, and there was zone coverage.
    What about the 47 yard catch and run with 3 minutes left in the 4th? That was an all out blitz 8 rushing the QB. What about the 37 yard catch in the 4th? That was man coverage aswell. Man coverage on their best receiver in the 4th playing for the win in the playoffs.

All of this is moot now, he is our DC now and I support our coaching staff.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast