Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Peter King: Schottenheimer expected to be Rams' new OC

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Peter King: Schottenheimer expected to be Rams' new OC

Per Rotoworld + Peter King

SI's Peter King reports that Brian Schottenheimer is expected to be the Rams' next offensive coordinator.

Schottenheimer's offense was picked apart in Jets coach Rex Ryan's Friday press conference, referred to as too complex for Mark Sanchez to comprehend and become comfortable in. Sam Bradford will have his work cut out. Per King, the Rams prefer Schottenheimer to Hue Jackson, who interviewed for the coordinator's gig this week. They were Jeff Fisher's only two known targets.
    Welcome to the Lou, Brian. My number one OC choice from jump. Lets get it done.
    39WillRunYaOva likes this.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Re: Peter King: Schottenheimer expected to be Rams' new OC

Terrible OC, and a terrible choice if it happens.

jagaf22 is offline Registered User

Disappointed, but hoping for the best. Hue Jackson certainly would of been my pick of the two.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Its interesting that King is the only person who seems to be reporting this. While he could be right (50/50 chance), he also recently wrote in an SI piece that one of the Rams' needs in the draft is a "DE to play opposite Chris Long" (Robert Quinn, Peter?).

I'll believe it when its official.

As for the "terrible choice" comments... please. If Jeff Fisher thinks Schott is the guy, I'm sure he has good reasons for his choice. It might not work out as we hope, but none of us is in a position to condemn the decision to that degree.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    You don't know that for certain Sosa. Faith in Schotty is a bit thin on the ground, but that doesn't mean for a second, that he can't do a great job working with Bradford. Especially with direction from a good coach like Jeff Fisher. Ive got total faith in Fisher's work, and until I see evidence to suggest otherwise. Im going to stick with my gut instinct's, as always.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Not a huge fan of either choice, Schottenheimer the lesser of two evils to me.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

As AV mentioned, I'll believe it when I see it.

Schott over Hue certainly would not have been my choice, but then again I received exactly zero phone calls asking me to interview for a NFL coaching vacancy.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is offline Registered User

I would take either of them thought they both had issues.. might come down too which one will make the longer commitment. I can see Hue as a head coach before Schottenheimer so that might be a factor.
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-21-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    As AV mentioned, I'll believe it when I see it.

Schott over Hue certainly would not have been my choice, but then again I received exactly zero phone calls asking me to interview for a NFL coaching vacancy.
    My phone has been surprisingly silent as well, HUb. So I'm with you.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

How is he a terrible OC? I live in NJ and New York fans over react...a month ago most giants fans wanted Tom Coughlin fired now they think he is the best in the NFL...At the end of the 2010 season Mark Sanchez was considered a superior QB to eli now he isnt even considered the franchise QB.

Just a side note about the Shotty vs. Hue Jackson comparison...Hue had a far superior back field Palmer, Cambell, Mcphadden, Bush vs. Sanchez, Greene, Old LT and here are the scoring numbers:

Jets 23.6 pts/g 26 pass TDs 14 rush TDs
    Raiders 22.4 pts/g 20 pass TDs 16 rush TDs

Its not about yards itz about scoring and Shotty seems to have a slight edge
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

I guess we may as well say goodbye to SJAXs career . Run him right into the ground. And for all I know, this may be an amazing signing, I just dont see it. Nothing in Schottys career has me jumping for joy, but I guess Jeff will choose who he thinks will work out best here.

Im crossing my fingers that this is a false report and we're heavily pursuing Hue Jackson!

Rambos is offline Registered User

I guess we may as well say goodbye to SJAXs career . Run him right into the ground. And for all I know, this may be an amazing signing, I just dont see it. Nothing in Schottys career has me jumping for joy, but I guess Jeff will choose who he thinks will work out best here.

Im crossing my fingers that this is a false report and we're heavily pursuing Hue Jackson!
    It's not a shock that Fisher is going to run the ball a lot... We will add a legit back up RB this year.
    If we where going to open it up at all don't you think we would have kept McD?

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

For all we know Rams could have interviewed some other candidates as well. What's funny to me is the fact that some of the people on here think they know more than guys who spend 90 percent of their time thinking and breathing football. These are the same people who wanted to get rid of Martz who's worst season was 6-10 and that was a season in which he had an heart element. These are the same people who wanted to get rid of Linehan who took the Lions to the playoffs with his offense. The same people who thought Spags was gonna take us to the promised land and turned out to be the worst coach in the history of this franchise.

LOL I'll wait and see who's hired and hope that this staff does a better job than the previous of Devaney and Spags.

general counsel is offline Registered User

How in the world can anyone support fisher and then say that a particular coordinator is a terrible choice? I just dont get that. A coordinator works for the head coach. He reflects the head coach's philosophy and goals. They need to work together. Just because someone doesnt like some of what he sees in a prior position (or what they think they see), i dont see how that translates apples to apples to a new job with a new team and a new head coach. People act as if the offensive coordinator has total control of the offense. That is simply never the case.

If you support Fisher, you support the coordinator pick whoever it is and understand that the coordinator is an extension of the head coach. You cant have it both ways and say that you like fisher but dont think he knows what he is doing when it comes to selecting his assistants. Said another way, Fisher is in by far the best position to evaluate who is most capable to mesh his vision of what he wants in an offense with the guy to execute on that philosophy.

In the business world, this is the equivalent of saying that the CFO is doing a lousy job because the company isnt making enough money or that the CFO is doing a great job when the company is making good money. The CFO executes financial policy and carries out the CEO philosophy. He is part of a team. He may be the greatest CFO in the world but if the product the company is selling doesnt work on stinks, the company wont make money independent of him. Bottom line is that the CFO HAS to be a good fit with the CEO or it won't work well for the company. Prior results are not measured simply by profitability of a prior company, the same way that evaluating whether an offensive coordinator is the right fit for Fisher's Rams is not simply a function of looking at the Jets offensive stats over the last couple of years.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Last edited by general counsel; -01-21-2012 at 12:38 PM.
    Truth likes this.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    How is he a terrible OC? I live in NJ and New York fans over react...a month ago most giants fans wanted Tom Coughlin fired now they think he is the best in the NFL...At the end of the 2010 season Mark Sanchez was considered a superior QB to eli now he isnt even considered the franchise QB.

Just a side note about the Shotty vs. Hue Jackson comparison...Hue had a far superior back field Palmer, Cambell, Mcphadden, Bush vs. Sanchez, Greene, Old LT and here are the scoring numbers:

Jets 23.6 pts/g 26 pass TDs 14 rush TDs
    Raiders 22.4 pts/g 20 pass TDs 16 rush TDs

Its not about yards itz about scoring and Shotty seems to have a slight edge
    Wow. You conveniently fail to mention the WR and OL situation. A solid advantage in talent goes to the Jets in both categories. And with the talent protecting him and the targets he had to throw to, Sanchez looked like a stiff. Also, the Jets had a pretty constant starting unit for the entire season. The Raiders...not so much. Palmer came to the team in mid season...off the STREET...and played immediately. Oh well, minor details. There can be no disputing that Jackson CLEARLY got MORE...out of considerably LESS talent and cohesion.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast