Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By tomahawk247
  • 10 Post By tomahawk247
  • 1 Post By HUbison
  • 1 Post By bruce4life
  • 2 Post By BarronWade

Thread: Peter King's Best Rookie of the first quater of the season is not RGIII...

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Peter King's Best Rookie of the first quater of the season is not RGIII...

It's Legatron! From his latest Monday Morning QB article:

Best rookie: St. Louis kicker Greg Zuerlein. Rams GM Les Snead gave special teams coach John Fassel (son of Jim, ex- of the Raiders) one big job when he took the job: find a kicker to replace veteran Josh Brown, who had made just 75 percent of his field goal tries last year. Fassel worked out Zuerlein -- who transferred from Nebraska-Omaha to Missouri Western when the program went belly-up -- before the draft on campus, and the very low-maintenance Zuerlein didn't think he had exactly aced the test. "I didn't kick anything too far that day,'' Zuerlein recalls. "The furthest kick, I think, was about 60 yards.'' Greg, in the NFL, that's good enough.

The Rams picked him the sixth round, 171st overall in the April draft. In camp, he started kicking 58-yarders halfway up the net behind the goalpost. And he never stopped. On Sunday, he became the first kicker in the NFL's 93 seasons to make two kicks of at least 58 yards in a game (60 and 58), and he's perfect on his first 12 kicks -- seven of them from 46 yards and out. I asked him when the last time was that he was nervous before a kick. "Nervous, I don't know,'' he said. "I was pretty excited before my first [preseason] game, in Indianapolis. But I wouldn't say nervous. I don't really get nervous. There's no reason to get worked up about kicking a football.'' Out of the mouths of rookies ...
    Got to love the national recognition for our sixth round draft pick of a kicker
    Last edited by tomahawk247; -10-01-2012 at 09:56 AM.
    Goldenfleece likes this.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: Peter King's Best Rookie of the first quater of the season is not RGIII...

Also, in the same article, King talks about a few of his players of the week:

Special Teams Players of the Week

Greg Zuerlein, K, St. Louis. Kicked field goals of 58, 48, 60 and 24 -- the first player in NFL history to kick two field goals of at least 58 yards in one game -- and had four touchbacks in five kickoffs as St. Louis upset Seattle.
    Dr. Z Unsung Men in the Trenches of the Week

The award for the offensive lineman who was the biggest factor for his team in the weekend's games, named for my friend Paul Zimmerman, the long-time SI football writer struggling in New Jersey to recover from three strokes in November 2008. Zim, a former collegiate offensive lineman himself, loved watching offensive line play.

Wayne Hunter, left tackle; Barry Richardson, right tackle, St. Louis. On Monday night against Green Bay, Chris Clemons and Bruce Irvin had six sacks of Aaron Rodgers. On Sunday in St. Louis, Hunter and Richardson held Clemons and Irvin to zero sacks, zero quarterback hits and one tackle.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I asked him when the last time was that he was nervous before a kick. "Nervous, I don't know,'' he said. "I was pretty excited before my first [preseason] game, in Indianapolis. But I wouldn't say nervous. I don't really get nervous. There's no reason to get worked up about kicking a football.''
    As a former special teams coach (yea, that's right, I used to coach; I haven't always been just a universal sex symbol), I can't emphasize enough just how important mindset is to a kicker. The interviews I've seen with this kid tell me that he has that mental "it" factor that I always wanted in a kicker. Some kickers look at goal posts and see a very small window. Those kickers are screwed.

When Z looks at goal posts, he sees the Grand Canyon.

That......is.....HUGE!
    ManofGod likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

live4ramin is offline Registered User

My friends, we have a coaching staff. This O line will gel and get better and Bradford will see his receivers. Victory under fire builds confidance.

The screen pass in the fourth quarter was a thing of beauty. Gave me chills. This team will get better.
    "The horror"

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Peter King's Best Rookie of the first quater of the season is not RGIII...

Nice to get a little respect from the media... Peter king always does a fantastic job in my view of looking at the whole NFL.
    ManofGod likes this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Personally I love having a kicker where you aren't really worried about having to kick a 50+ because you know he has the leg.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I dont give a damn if I cant post links, watch PrimeTime reveal his top 10 performances on Sunday... Lets just say our K got some love baby!

21st and Prime: Week 4 top performances - NFL Videos

Unreal!

THE DREAM TEAM

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Thats it Greg cannot win defensive rookie of the year...And even though he scores points for the rams he cannot win offensive rookie of the year

SO i think Greg will force the NFL to create a special team rookie of the year (lol i wonder who will have a vote for an award like this)
    lostsoul and berg8309 like this.

lostsoul is offline Registered User

They just reffered to him as Legatron on ESPN. Its official he is legit.