Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Peter King's comments on the London games, and my response

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Peter King's comments on the London games, and my response

Quote Originally Posted by Peter King
    I think if I'm a Rams fan, and I'm already skittish and skeptical about my team's long-term future, and not really thrilled about what I just saw in a 2-14 season, how do you think I'm going to react when I hear the best of the eight games on my home schedule in 2012 -- New England and Tom Brady at home, likely the last time in his fabulous career that Brady will ever play in St. Louis -- has been shipped to London?

Let the record show that if the Rams-Pats game is shipped to Wembley, the only Brady game in the Edward Jones Dome will be the 40-22 New England victory in 2004 ... unless Brady becomes the first 43-year-old starting quarterback in the NFL since George Blanda. He'd be 43 the next time New England is slated to play the Rams on the road.
    As a Rams fan, I could give a rat's posterior whether I get to see Tom Brady play in St. Louis. Peter King seems to be a Patriots fan so, from his perspective, this is "the best of the eight games on [the Rams'] home schedule." I'd much rather see the Rams play a division rival.

Now, I don't yet buy that the move is a precursor to moving the team to Los Angeles or London; if Jeff Fisher builds a winning team, the fans will come and support it.
    You don't yet believe it, but you certainly want to stoke the fire on this controversial topic (notwithstanding the complete lack of evidence that there is any connection between these two distinct issues).

One league office source told me a major selling point to the teams playing overseas is if you give up a home game, the league will compensate the team with a payment above and beyond what it made for a regular home game. That payment, I'm told, will be at least $5 million per home game lost. So if the Rams can pocket an extra $15 million to $25 million over the three years of the deal, they shouldn't have any excuses about paying out the kind of guaranteed money that some teams in the bottom quartile of NFL revenue -- which the Rams are in -- have to pay to attract and pay legit free agents.
    Are you really so naive to think that $5M/year to the Rams will determine whether Stan Kroenke, a billionaire, signs free agents or not? That may be the most idiotic thing I've read in a long time. The Rams will spend their cap money regardless of whether they make some extra money on the London deal.

Here's the bottom line:

Stan Kroenke agreed to the London games because it allows him to cross-market two of his teams (the Rams and Arsenal) and increase his stature in England. He makes a few bucks from the NFL in the deal, but that's just gravy. He also may use this as a subtle leverge point in his negotiations with EJD.

That's it. There's nothing else to see here. Move along.
    Rambos, MauiRam, Jonze and 4 others like this.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Re: Peter King's comments on the London games, and my response

So what your saying AV is the Rams are staying in STL?

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    You realize no one knows the answer to this, right?

Not even Stan Kroenke.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

I will give you a major reason why he is doing it, the NFL guaranteed the team that would be the London team that each game will be a primetime game. Meaning, based on what I have read, the Pats game is going to be a Sunday Night Football game. So I see the logic by them, being that we probably won't get one this season outside of the London game.

So in total Kroenke grabbed us at a minimum 1 primetime game each of the next 3 seasons, which I like.

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    Not even Stan Kroenke.
    Hmmmm, I think Stan DOES know ....
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    You realize no one knows the answer to this, right?

Not even Stan Kroenke.
    It was a joke in no way did AV confirm a stay in STL lol

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

How can you ignore the writing on the wall. History can not be ignored.

In 1987 the LA Rams played in Wembley Stadium... a mere 8 years later they moved to St. Louis. Connect the dots AV. ; )

Honestly here is my theory on Stan's thought process...

"The UK is hungry for football... but it's not logistically feasible to actually have a franchise over seas. So why not agree to a series of games to try and win over the fan base. Surly more fans for my team won't hurt. Besides... Dez is getting pretty pissed at us and I don't want to lose him as a fan. This would make me happy. Also there is a cute little waitress that works near Wembley and I have been wanting to get back and see her... this would be the perfect excuse."

ps... "I almost didn't hire Fisher because his Stache is better than mine."
    Aussie Dave likes this.

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    I will give you a major reason why he is doing it, the NFL guaranteed the team that would be the London team that each game will be a primetime game. Meaning, based on what I have read, the Pats game is going to be a Sunday Night Football game. So I see the logic by them, being that we probably won't get one this season outside of the London game.

So in total Kroenke grabbed us at a minimum 1 primetime game each of the next 3 seasons, which I like.
    I don't think the game is going to be in prime time here in the US, maybe in the UK though. In order for that to work, I think the kick would be at 1130 at night. Doubtful attendance would be very high. It's probably prime time over there and a late kickoff here.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Why dont we all just frickin forget about this? It changes nothing unless you planned on going to see this game in STL. People are complaining although we now are guaranteed 1 primetime game each year, additional money (absolutely nothing to Stan), and a chance to increase revenue and lure in new fans.

At the end of the damn day you and I will both be watching this on the TV, so its irrelevant. I dont blame Stan not one bit for doing this. After seeing the Rams-Chiefs 2010 game, I'd do the same. And that season we were 1 win away from the playoffs, complete bandwagon fans.

We do bad, and the stadium has more Chiefs fans than Rams fans. When we start going 13-3, the stadium is filled. If I had the damn money and didn't live so far I'da been there every Sunday (home game) for the past 15 years.

Good job Stan. At the end of the day this is a business, and you must do what you have to do to increase your profits. Plus, theres 30 other teams in the NFL that were dieng to do the same thing as us, but were whining about it.... sad.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    What I'm saying is, there is no reason to presume that London has anything to do with whether the Rams are staying in St. Louis.

I'm amused at the short memories people have. Less than two years ago, Kroenke had an April deadline to exercise a right of refusal on the ownership of the Rams. In the meantime, Shahid Khan emerged and put in a bid. Nobody knew what Kroenke was going to do before the deadline. Some thought he'd hold on to his 40%. Some thought he'd sell his share to Khan. Few thought he'd exercise his right to buy the team outright (mainly because most doubted his ability to get around the cross-ownership rules).

While everyone was speculating, Stan remained silent. The PD (and others in the media) tried to "interpret" the silence. But, truth be told, they may as well have thrown darts while blindfolded.

Now, we're in a similar situation. A deadline is looming for the EJD to work out a long term deal with Kroenke. Kroenke - despite the wailing of Bernie and others - refuses to show his hand. Why? Because he's a GOOD BUSINESS MAN! He's not about to give up the leverage that is inherent in the appearance of uncertainty and alternate options.

So, what does the media do? Well, clearly they've learned nothing, as they are once again trying to "interpret" the silence. The London issue is just part of that formula. Whether or not it has thing one to do with the EJD situation, the media is all too happy to throw out the theory that this is somehow a potential precursor to moving the team.

My advice: wait for Stan to speak. When he's ready to reveal his plans, he'll reveal them. He won't tip his hand a moment sooner than that because, again, he's a GOOD BUSINESS MAN!
    MauiRam and Rammed like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfnRAMFAN View Post
    I don't think the game is going to be in prime time here in the US, maybe in the UK though. In order for that to work, I think the kick would be at 1130 at night. Doubtful attendance would be very high. It's probably prime time over there and a late kickoff here.
    And no. The game is tempered according to regular US time. So it infact will be primetime here, and will be scheduled at a normal time and normal day played.

If people are still listening to media these days, you're not intelligent, at least in some cases. Why do people believe in everything they hear? THESE REPORTERS NEED TO MAKE MONEY!!! OF COURSE THERE GONNA MAKE THIS CRAP UP!

Or how about the other day CBS "mis-reported" Joa Pa's death.... How the frick! do you accidently report somebodys death wrong? A damn shame...

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    How can you ignore the writing on the wall. History can not be ignored.

In 1987 the LA Rams played in Wembley Stadium... a mere 8 years later they moved to St. Louis. Connect the dots AV. ; )
    LOL. How could I have missed that! It all makes sense now!

Honestly here is my theory on Stan's thought process...

"The UK is hungry for football... but it's not logistically feasible to actually have a franchise over seas. So why not agree to a series of games to try and win over the fan base. Surly more fans for my team won't hurt. Besides... Dez is getting pretty pissed at us and I don't want to lose him as a fan. This would make me happy. Also there is a cute little waitress that works near Wembley and I have been wanting to get back and see her... this would be the perfect excuse."

ps... "I almost didn't hire Fisher because his Stache is better than mine."
    Works for me!

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    As a Rams fan, I could give a rat's posterior whether I get to see Tom Brady play in St. Louis. Peter King seems to be a Patriots fan so, from his perspective, this is "the best of the eight games on [the Rams'] home schedule." I'd much rather see the Rams play a division rival.
    BUT. The average "High Dollar" PSL holder couldn't give a rats arse about who is playing, and a Cheatroits ticket would make them a HUGE profit, which is all they care about.

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post

Will they really be Prime Time games? Prime Time here starts at 8:45pm EDT (8:30 listed start time). With a -4:00 GMT, that is a 12:45am GMT start time. If I am not mistaken, London is on GMT. Would they really start the game after midnight local time? More than likely this will be a London Prime Time, which would translate to an afternoon game for us, or a 4:15pm start time that the networks would ignore like any other St Louis game.

gap

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Frye View Post
    Hmmmm, I think Stan DOES know ....

What exactly does he know then?

Will still so much to be done before the destination is set, you really think hes already made up his mind?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast