Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Peter King's comments on the London games, and my response

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

Re: Peter King's comments on the London games, and my response

Listen, that's what the media does- speculate. It is up to each individual to intelligently try and rationalize what is being written or said. "Does it make sense, or is it merely trying to get a rise out of people"?Although I agree the London trip isn't correlated to the Rams' future in St. Louis, it is understandable why all of this is fueling speculation given the Rams' tenuous stadium situation and Stan's unwillingness to put fears of a future move to bed. In the eyes of the average fan who has unconditionally supported the team- especially the local fan who spends money on season tickets- an owner would do everything in his power to please that fan, especially when you're talking about a team that has been horse**** the past 8 years. Going to England and taking away a home game in each of the next three seasons runs contrary to that philosophy.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    it is understandable why all of this is fueling speculation given the Rams' tenuous stadium situation and Stan's unwillingness to put fears of a future move to bed.
    I disagree. If the most rational explanation was SILENCE = MOVING, then it would be understandable.

However, anyone who's ever been remotely connected to any sort of business transaction knows that SILENCE = NOT GOING TO GIVE UP ANY BARGAINING CHIPS PREMATURELY.

It is the impatience of the media/fans, rather than any facts, that is driving this "story."

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Stan is taking tips from lady gaga and not letting them see his poker face

Rambos is offline Registered User

It's understandable that Kroenke wouldn't want to commit long-term to the city for a variety of reasons. He would be seen as a liar if things did not work out with the city.

Do most St. Louis fans think he should help pay for the upgrades?
    As fans do you think the dome is that bad? I have never been there..
    Does it seems like it's just an excuse to get out of the lease?

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

The fact that there is nothing being said about moving means exactly that .. Nada ... except that Stan is going about his business. and even more ridiculously linking a few London trips to St Louis moving is ridiculous (i had to say it twice for emphasis)...

Non-story story of 2012.

AV is correct in other words. Cant we be more interested in all the new toys we got in the last few days?

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    What I'm saying is, there is no reason to presume that London has anything to do with whether the Rams are staying in St. Louis.

I'm amused at the short memories people have. Less than two years ago, Kroenke had an April deadline to exercise a right of refusal on the ownership of the Rams. In the meantime, Shahid Khan emerged and put in a bid. Nobody knew what Kroenke was going to do before the deadline. Some thought he'd hold on to his 40%. Some thought he'd sell his share to Khan. Few thought he'd exercise his right to buy the team outright (mainly because most doubted his ability to get around the cross-ownership rules).

While everyone was speculating, Stan remained silent. The PD (and others in the media) tried to "interpret" the silence. But, truth be told, they may as well have thrown darts while blindfolded.

Now, we're in a similar situation. A deadline is looming for the EJD to work out a long term deal with Kroenke. Kroenke - despite the wailing of Bernie and others - refuses to show his hand. Why? Because he's a GOOD BUSINESS MAN! He's not about to give up the leverage that is inherent in the appearance of uncertainty and alternate options.

So, what does the media do? Well, clearly they've learned nothing, as they are once again trying to "interpret" the silence. The London issue is just part of that formula. Whether or not it has thing one to do with the EJD situation, the media is all too happy to throw out the theory that this is somehow a potential precursor to moving the team.

My advice: wait for Stan to speak. When he's ready to reveal his plans, he'll reveal them. He won't tip his hand a moment sooner than that because, again, he's a GOOD BUSINESS MAN!

... so, they're NOT staying in St. Louis?

jkramsfan Guest

I think this all means that Stan wants the Rams to be as big and as talked about as say the Cowboys, he wants the Rams to be not only another "Americas Team" but possibly the "Worlds Team",may sound crazy but these billionares don't like there teams taking a back seat to other teams,they have hugh egos just like the players,I think thats why he has spent the big bucks for new coaches,the Rams get better and become better known throughout the world and Stan wins again and if that happens the city of St. Louis will keep the Rams.

macrammer is offline Registered User

First things first STAN and co......''

Get us back to a winning tradition on the FIELD. That is where my focus is in watching and rooting for Rams.

Cautiously optimisitc and the London thing is just noise to me.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is online now Registered User

Here's the bottom line:

Stan Kroenke agreed to the London games because it allows him to cross-market two of his teams (the Rams and Arsenal) and increase his stature in England. He makes a few bucks from the NFL in the deal, but that's just gravy. He also may use this as a subtle leverge point in his negotiations with EJD.
    So, what you're saying is. Stan is in this for Stan. He doesn't give a hoot about the season ticket holders OR Stl?

I think you're right.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

rampower is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    And no. The game is tempered according to regular US time. So it infact will be primetime here, and will be scheduled at a normal time and normal day played.
    The International series games are always played at 5pm GMT, this one is no different. They also have always been played on the last Sunday in October.

To the HE will do what's good for HIM points, well he is human and we will all do what is good for ourselves, in his case what is good for his team from his Point of view. To me that isn't this story in itself so I cannot pretend that I am surprised or chastise him for doing so.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rampower View Post
    The International series games are always played at 5pm GMT, this one is no different. They also have always been played on the last Sunday in October.

To the HE will do what's good for HIM points, well he is human and we will all do what is good for ourselves, in his case what is good for his team from his Point of view. To me that isn't this story in itself so I cannot pretend that I am surprised or chastise him for doing so.
    The International Series game essentially correspond to the early Sunday games, which i believe kick off at 1PM EST. It happens to be at 5PM GMT because that one week is after the UK clocks have changed, but the week before the US clocks do.

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I disagree. If the most rational explanation was SILENCE = MOVING, then it would be understandable.

However, anyone who's ever been remotely connected to any sort of business transaction knows that SILENCE = NOT GOING TO GIVE UP ANY BARGAINING CHIPS PREMATURELY.

It is the impatience of the media/fans, rather than any facts, that is driving this "story."
    I completely understand WHY Stan is hedging his bets and fully understand the principle of not giving up bargaining chips. But it is completely logical and understandable why a fan would want answers sooner rather than later and to somehow find fault with that is wrong. It's human nature, pure and simple. And when a public trust- something that a group of people care about immesely is involved- the feelings intensify. I know one thing: If I lived in St. Louis and invested money in season tickets, I'd be more than a little anxious to know the future of my franchise, especially in light of the cardinals departure some years ago.

And while a trip overseas certainly isn't directly correlated to a future Rams move, Stan going to England not once but THREE times does nothing to allay these concerns.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    So, what you're saying is. Stan is in this for Stan. He doesn't give a hoot about the season ticket holders OR Stl?

I think you're right.
    And he is no different than any of his fellow owners in regard. A donkey says hee-haw. At church we sang a hymn. A snake with a speech impediment only says "his".

My first sentence was really the only one of substance, but I didn't feel there were enough bolded personal masculine pronouns or their homophones, so I added a few for effect.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    So, what you're saying is. Stan is in this for Stan.
    You just described every owner.

He doesn't give a hoot about the season ticket holders OR Stl?
    Not so. Stan, season ticket holders and St. Louis all share an interest: seeing the Rams win. Stan is working toward that goal.
    rampower likes this.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I'm actually shocked about the reaction from some of the St Louis based fans to this news.

The Rams had an average home attendance of 56,394 in 2011. The International Series games in London have averaged an attendance of 81,916.

It's a no brainer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast