Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Peterson's big "day"?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Peterson's big "day"?

I'm not trying to sugar coat the loss. We got our butts handed to us; at a time when we needed a big win. No way to over emphasize that. However, all I've been hearing is what a superman/deity that AP was yesterday. It was as if he did whatever he wanted to, whenever he wanted to yesterday.

That's simply not true.

Folks, he didn't have a great day. He had two great runs. Two great runs coupled with two horrible defensive breakdowns.

He had the 82 yard TD run, which caught the Rams blitzing on the interior, and AP (either by design or improvisation) ran out the back side of the blitz. The backside defenders got blocked off the screen, then chaos ensued. Had 1 of those defenders fought through their block AP is getting a 5-yard gain at best.

His other big run was a 52 yarder where he was actually wrapped up in the backfield. An amazing effort on his part. Truly. But it should have been a 2 yard loss.

Outside of those two runs, AP carried the ball 22 times for 78 yards, 3.5 yards per carry.

Over half (13 of 24) of AP's carries went for 2 yards or less, totalling -3 yards over those 13 carries.

I know after a big loss we always revert back to hyperbole and our favorite hobby of tossing the baby with the bathwater......but: On all but 2 runs yesterday, the D did a good job. On 13 of the 24 runs, they completely shut down, and moved backwards, the top RB in the league.

Let's not lose that perspective as we go through the motions of rehashing the loss.
    Last edited by HUbison; -12-17-2012 at 12:58 PM.
    thoey likes this.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Re: Peterson's big "day"?

Did anyone else notice how fast Quinn is? He was keeping up with peterson all day I was impressed. Look at the long runs he had Quinn keeps up with him the whole time.
    live4ramin likes this.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Wow. Apologist 101. Frankly, the guy IS 'superman'. Saying that 'if you take away 2 big runs...bla bla bla' really makes you look like a foolish rube. If Jax had a similar day, it would be lauded here until the cows come home.

What this guy is doing (this year) is other worldly. Less than one year removed from ACL surgery...and a very real crack at becoming the all time, single season rushing leader! I know, I know...objectivity be damned!
    live4ramin and THOLTFAN81 like this.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
    Wow. Apologist 101.
    It appears that you're trying to make a sophomoric comment about the original post being an example of what might be found in a class where one would learn the concept of Apologies. If that was your intent, then you should have said "Apology 101". I mean, nobody says Chemist 101 or Biologist 101.

Frankly, the guy IS 'superman'.
    Shocking. I would have thought the cape could get in the way.
    Saying that 'if you take away 2 big runs...bla bla bla' really makes you look like a foolish rube.
    But personal attack while trying to deflect fact makes you look like a genius.
    If Jax had a similar day, it would be lauded here until the cows come home.
    This thread has nothing to do with Jackson.

What this guy is doing (this year) is other worldly. Less than one year removed from ACL surgery...and a very real crack at becoming the all time, single season rushing leader!
    Yes, he's having an amazing year. Nobody has said otherwise.
    I know, I know...objectivity be damned!
    I don't think you have to worry about that.

The facts remain the same.......AP had two big runs in the middle of a decent day.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

No doubt about it... this was not a case of a RB gashing the D repeatedly. Rather, AP is just a guy who takes a mistake that most RBs would turn into 10 yard runs, and turns them into 50+ yard runs.
    Haste likes this.

ljcrayton is offline Registered User

I said this in the chat room that AP isn't the juggernaut....he proved me wrong yesterday. Face it guys...he really is that good. You can sugar coat it and try to make yourself sound like a college professor of footballology, but in the end...the guy did have his way. Sure he has some bad runs, but he also had some ridiculous runs. The guy is a monster and I personally don't believe he is human. I've seen SJ39 hit holes like that all the time but for 82 yards and a TD? SJ would've got caught at 50 or something...I couldn't believe my eyes and then it happened again!!!!

Once is luck...twice is superhuman.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'm not trying to sugar coat the loss. We got our butts handed to us; at a time when we needed a big win. No way to over emphasize that. However, all I've been hearing is what a superman/deity that AP was yesterday. It was as if he did whatever he wanted to, whenever he wanted to yesterday.

That's simply not true.

Folks, he didn't have a great day. He had two great runs. Two great runs coupled with two horrible defensive breakdowns.

He had the 82 yard TD run, which caught the Rams blitzing on the interior, and AP (either by design or improvisation) ran out the back side of the blitz. The backside defenders got blocked off the screen, then chaos ensued. Had 1 of those defenders fought through their block AP is getting a 5-yard gain at best.

His other big run was a 52 yarder where he was actually wrapped up in the backfield. An amazing effort on his part. Truly. But it should have been a 2 yard loss.

Outside of those two runs, AP carried the ball 22 times for 78 yards, 3.5 yards per carry.

Over half (13 of 24) of AP's carries went for 2 yards or less, totalling -3 yards over those 13 carries.

I know after a big loss we always revert back to hyperbole and our favorite hobby of tossing the baby with the bathwater......but: On all but 2 runs yesterday, the D did a good job. On 13 of the 24 runs, they completely shut down, and moved backwards, the top RB in the league.

Let's not lose that perspective as we go through the motions of rehashing the loss.
    I honestly was thinking the same thoughts upon completion of the game. His 2nd long run was just mind-boggling; I can't believe we couldn't tackle the guy- we had him all but stopped. Unfortunately, the long runs are part of the package.

The secondary issue is that it's a shame because our inability to contain him on those two runs puts him within legitimate reach of breaking Dickerson's mark.
    live4ramin likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Part of the problem is that early mistakes gave the Vikings a big cushion that allowed them to keep pounding the ball on the ground. Had the Rams built a lead, AP might not have gotten as many chances to break a long run.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I agree, we definitely bottled him up all day outside of 2 runs. But this is an easy game to play.

If the Vikings only scored 20 points, we would have won. Its really simple to say "If this, if that".

THE DREAM TEAM

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    It appears that you're trying to make a sophomoric comment about the original post being an example of what might be found in a class where one would learn the concept of Apologies. If that was your intent, then you should have said "Apology 101". I mean, nobody says Chemist 101 or Biologist 101.
    Not to pick, Hub, but wouldn't "Apologetics" be a more appropriate term?

Just askin'...

WHAT SAY YE?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

The 82 yard run came at the worst time for the Rams. The O had a good drive, got down the field, scored a TD. Next offensive play for the Vikings and it goes for an 82 yard TD. It was a absolute killer.

Vinnie25 is online now Registered User

No denying that AP is a physical freak, but if the Rams had a competent safety who took proper angles those long runs would have been 10 yard carries. I'm tired of seeing Dahl look lost out there; whether its in run support or pass coverage, he's just not getting the job done. Can't wait till next year when he's replaced, either through the draft or through FA.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Not to pick, Hub, but wouldn't "Apologetics" be a more appropriate term?

Just askin'...

WHAT SAY YE?
    Either/or.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I agree, we definitely bottled him up all day outside of 2 runs. But this is an easy game to play.

If the Vikings only scored 20 points, we would have won. Its really simple to say "If this, if that".
    It's not a game. It's not some if/then simulator. It's an observation; and an accurate one at that. The Rams D made two huge mistakes that led to 2 carries for 134 yards. The rest of the day consisted of 22 carries for 78 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by ljcrayton View Post
    but in the end...the guy did have his way.
    ....on exactly 2 carries out of 24.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast