Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By NJ Ramsfan1

Thread: Pettis Hopes Rams Will Wait For Him

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Pettis Hopes Rams Will Wait For Him

Pettis hopes Rams will wait for him

19 hours ago BY KATHLEEN NELSON

Wide receiver Austin Pettis came out of the blocks Thursday at the Edward Jones Dome like a man with something to prove: that he'll be worth the wait.

Pettis got things rolling for the Rams in their 31-17 victory over the Baltimore Ravens. Though he whiffed on the first pass from Sam Bradford on the Rams' second possession, Pettis was ready two minutes later, hauling in a short pass from Bradford and dashing 14 yards to the end zone for the Rams' first touchdown. Pettis said he had replaced starter Brandon Gibson on the play but was ready to jump into the action.

"Gibby needed a little break because it was a long drive," Pettis said. "He kind of tapped me in on that play. It was a good job by Sam being on the same page with me. I was in the spot that he expected me to be in. The defense kind of lost me with all the receivers on the other side. I was able to turn up and get in there."

The Rams have a crowded house at wide receiver, with nine players vying for six or seven jobs, and working against Pettis are the remnants of a four-game suspension from last season for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy. Though he has been able to participate in all offseason workouts and camps, Pettis has two games remaining of his suspension. Provided he makes it past the final cuts today, he won't be eligible to play until the Rams face the Bears on Sept. 23.

So, the pressure has been on since the start of camp to make a lasting impression. After an anonymous start, Pettis has come on strong in the past few weeks. Before Thursday's TD catch, Pettis had five catches for 49 yards with a touchdown.

"I was able to make a few good plays," Pettis said. "My receiver coaches were happy with that. Weekly they helped me out with things and I continue to work to get better. I felt like I had a pretty good camp, and I can't wait for the season to start."

Slow starts are a recurring theme with Pettis, a third-round pick out of Boise State in 2011, who didn't seem in sync with Bradford at the start of his rookie year. Inactive for the first two games last season, Pettis was pressed into service as a return man after Danny Amendola was lost for the season.

"It's definitely felt a lot better this year," he said. "Part of that is being in the offense more and being able to play faster and get the timing down," he said.

By November, he started to find a groove and caught 27 passes for 256 yards, showing the reliable hands that he displayed in college. Injuries to Danario Alexander and Greg Salas pushed Pettis to third on the depth chart.

Then, he was slapped with the suspension. Pettis said he had taken Adderall, a stimulant, and sat out the last two games of the season. The momentum he had built came to a screeching halt, but he said he decided not to appeal the suspension.

"We didn't want to fight the NFL," he said. "I took what they gave me and tried to deal with it. That's what I'm doing right now. I have two weeks left, but I'm excited about week three."

Using the suspension as motivation, Pettis said he hoped that his performance in camp had put the past behind him and that he had shown enough to be part of the team's future.

"I wanted to come out with new coaches and earn my spot, but I knew with that hanging over my head was going to be a little bit against me," Pettis said. "That was more reason to come out and prove myself."

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Re: Pettis Hopes Rams Will Wait For Him

I really hope this guy, when he gets back, will be the type of playmaker that we need at the WR position. And be worthy of a 3rd rd. pick in 2011. ( I think)

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

One thing I do like about Pettis is his ability to make the difficult catch. Great hands. Im not sure he will ever be a playmaker, but with regards to being a consistent possession type WR for our Rams. I think he should be worth a roster spot this year. Hopefully over Brandon Gibson and not Greg Salas.??

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I've been saying this for the entire year know. Don't cut him, he's got great potential. He had 1 up and down season and everybody wants to cut the guy because they'd rather keep "IR" Danario. Pettis will be a nice contributor here, aswell as Salas (if he's still here).

GET RID OF GIBSON, KEEP SALAS! (G.R.O.G.K.S)

THE DREAM TEAM

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

When I first heard of him using PED's, I didn't care if we let him go. But I like what I saw from him this preseason. I think he found his hands and can make some plays for us.

Rambos is offline Registered User

"Gibby needed a little break because it was a long drive," Pettis said. "

Really, really... unreal

Pettis has played better then Salas in camp. Gibby seems to be the lock to start. I think it's going to come down to what Gibby does in the first two games, we all know he looks good in practice and fades when the lights come on. Salas also could help himself by making plays, he just did not get playing time with the ones in preseasons. He should see some in real games, something tells me he will makes some plays.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

It's hard to believe Im saying this given how I've generally felt about the guy, but the Rams should not cut Austin Pettis at this point in time. His performances in the pre-season warrant him being given a further opportunity after he's served his suspension. To unload him would be foolish, given our lack of proven WRs on the roster and their collective injury history.
    Rambos and THOLTFAN81 like this.