MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Are Pettis and Salas track slow but football fast?

Steve Largent was a pretty good player in his day, and I believe his comments on football speed still ring true today ..

Largent wasn't recruited by many football powers because he lacked speed and height. He received a scholarship to Tulsa and starred on the school's freshman team. In his junior and senior years he led the nation in touchdown catches, with 14. His success wasn't limited to the playing field. He was selected by the school's alumni board as one of the top eight seniors and was graduated with a degree in biology.

None of that seemed to matter to pro scouts. In high school he had run only 4.85 seconds in the 40-yard dash, and at Tulsa he wasn't that much faster, so the scouts declared him much too slow. Even though he managed to cut that time to 4.65 before the 1976 draft, Largent wasn't selected until the fourth round, by the Houston Oilers.

"There's a difference between being fast and being quick," Largent says. "And there is such a thing as football speed. Track guys run like crazy. But put the guy who holds the world record in the 100 on a football field, get a defensive back to jump in front of him, and he'll probably break his ankles trying to stop or change direction. The way you run on a track—with body-lean and on the balls of your feet—is different from how you run pass routes. To run routes you have to have more body control."

This fits Austin Pettis and Greg Salas to a T, and likely these skills as opposed to pure track speed are why Billy D., Josh, and Spags wanted them .. It will certainly be fun watching them if we ever have football again ..

This is a great article written in 1986 entitled "The Catch of the Day" Since we cannot post links, I can suggest one google: Steve Largent "The Catch of the Day" and you'll find it. It is a good read with some humor to boot .. Great for this slow time of year.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Are Pettis and Salas track slow but football fast?

I think that's exactly it, Maui. I've seen a number of articles or write ups on all of our receiver picks(Kendricks included) that pretty much say that they have football speed, despite slower 40 times.

Kendricks said to be able to stretch the seam, Pettis and Salas bring speed and route running to the table... that kind of stuff. And more important than that really, is that all three of them have very good hands, look the ball into their hands before cutting, and know how to use their frames to get between the ball and the defender to make the grab.

We were 5th in redzone trips, but seemed to always settle for field goals. That proves that even with a hospital ward for a receiving corps, Sam could move the ball down the field, seemingly at will. Now with three new big toys to play with, one, I think we convert a few more 3rd downs, and two, those redzone field goals turn into fades and contested (and won) TD catches. If they can get a step, these guys can bring in the ball.
    Last edited by TekeRam; -05-10-2011 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Added (and won) to make sure my point was made
    I believe!

Trevor is offline Registered User

I thought Holt and Bruce didn't possess Randy moss speed, yet they were both elite.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Jerry Rice wasn`t fast in shorts either!

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Makes me feel glad didn't reach out for Julio Jones even more now. Wonder how he'll do with the Falcons?

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    Makes me feel glad didn't reach out for Julio Jones even more now. Wonder how he'll do with the Falcons?
    Only time will tell

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Im really excited for Salas. I think he brings a totally new dimension to this team. Last season our only reliable third down option after Clayton's injury was Amendola. This year I think we will convert a lot more third downs because of our new sure handed WR's.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Sosa39rams View Post
    I'm really excited for Salas. I think he brings a totally new dimension to this team. Last season our only reliable third down option after Clayton's injury was Amendola. This year I think we will convert a lot more third downs because of our new sure handed WR's.
    Agreed indeed S39! I too am excited for Salas. // Maui, good question. I'm in the affirmative.

And even though it is way too early (of course) to really know what we have in our rookies, this kid Salas strikes me as a potential play maker, one of those players that hustles in training and, especially, during games. All the best to these prospects.

Greg's dad on his son being a draftee by the Rams, whom BTW, are Mark Salas' NFL team.

About his son Greg being drafted, Mark Salas referred to Greg's hard work and said:
    "Justification. The Rams are getting a motivated player. Greg treats every play like it's his last down. He's always worked hard."
    Univ. of Hawaii Warrior Quotes. May 1, 2011.