Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

PFT: Martz and Turley at odds over injury

TURLEY, MARTZ BATTLE OVER BACK INJURY?

We hear that Rams coach Mike Martz and offensive tackle Kyle Turley aren't seeing eye-to-eye in the wake of Turley's departure from training camp to have further tests on his ailing back.

Per a league source, Turley believed that he'd be able to take it easy in the early stages of camp as his surgically-repaired back continues to heal. Martz disagreed, throwing Turley into the same drills as everyone else.

So it was with a certain degree of skepticism that Martz, we're told, regarded Turley's claim that his back now prevents him from playing.

Turley underwent an MRI on Monday, and the team is waiting for the results.

Take it for what it's worth. These guys aren't known to be exceptionally reliable but news is news, I guess.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: PFT: Martz and Turley at odds over injury

And the hits just keep on coming.

majorram is offline Registered User

Looks like he was thrown in there too early...GREAT

steve :ramlogo:

RamWraith is offline Registered User

ok...

I can't sit back any longer.

Let the Turley thing go. He hasn't been all that great in my opinion. He is more mouth than anything. He got himself a big reputation because of his helmet toss and long hair. Now don't get me wrong, he is the best thing we have had on the right side in awhile. But Turley is WAY over rated. And a wuss to boot. It wasn't that long ago that he turned the team in to the league for not following the union agreement, after that team had been doing the same practice for years. Do we all really blame Timmerman for the problems last year on the right side? I believe Turley chased Warner out of town.

As far as I am concerned if Turley is done for the year so be it. I think he had an average year at best last season and believe someone can play at the level he did this season. It would be nice to have him, but not the end of the world in my book. And I am glad Martz is calling him out. To me it sounds like Turley is making more of this than anyone. I think it is an easy way out of camp, that a vet is using to his advantage. Read the book "Darkside of the Game".

txramsfan is offline Registered User

But it CAN'T be Turley's fault.....it HAS to be Martz's fault.....right?

I mean, everything bad is Martz's bad, everything good is someone elses...

I think he had an average year last season only because he wasn't as familiar with the offense as he could have been. I think coming into this season, with a year of experience as a Ram under his belt, he'd be very good. I fear that with Greg Randall, we're going to see some of the same mental mistakes we saw out of Turley early in the year. I almost feel better with Williams in at right tackle than Randall, if only because he knows the offense.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

I think the only mistake Turley made was putting on the Horns and not respecting them. I like Randell's attitude and I think the guy is hungry. And I bet he opens his trap a lot less then the over-rated over-paid Turley.

Either way, I think Turley will be back after the "hard" stuff is done at camp. And this situation is being blown up just to miss the heat of Macomb. He knows he can do it and is taking advantage of it. I just hope Randell opens some eyes and maybe bumps and deflates a couple of heads

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    I think he had an average year last season only because he wasn't as familiar with the offense as he could have been. I think coming into this season, with a year of experience as a Ram under his belt, he'd be very good. I fear that with Greg Randall, we're going to see some of the same mental mistakes we saw out of Turley early in the year. I almost feel better with Williams in at right tackle than Randall, if only because he knows the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    Either way, I think Turley will be back after the "hard" stuff is done at camp. And this situation is being blown up just to miss the heat of Macomb. He knows he can do it and is taking advantage of it. I just hope Randell opens some eyes and maybe bumps and deflates a couple of heads
    It would be disappointing if this was the case, but not very surprising. Most players have said how much they dislike camp due to the conditions. I imagine there are more than a few players who would take this kind of out if they could, not necessarily on our team but in the NFL in general.

Yodude is offline Registered User

ok...

I can't sit back any longer.

Let the Turley thing go. He hasn't been all that great in my opinion. He is more mouth than anything. He got himself a big reputation because of his helmet toss and long hair. Now don't get me wrong, he is the best thing we have had on the right side in awhile. But Turley is WAY over rated. And a wuss to boot. It wasn't that long ago that he turned the team in to the league for not following the union agreement, after that team had been doing the same practice for years. Do we all really blame Timmerman for the problems last year on the right side? I believe Turley chased Warner out of town.

As far as I am concerned if Turley is done for the year so be it. I think he had an average year at best last season and believe someone can play at the level he did this season. It would be nice to have him, but not the end of the world in my book. And I am glad Martz is calling him out. To me it sounds like Turley is making more of this than anyone. I think it is an easy way out of camp, that a vet is using to his advantage. Read the book "Darkside of the Game".
    Thank you Ramwraith....finally someone else who see's Turley as I see him...it's been very lonely on this island.

I've said before that he is more mouth than substance.

Bob L. Head is offline Registered User
    California, USA, Earth, Milky Way, The Universe

Well, if Turley is married, maybe his wife can call the local radio station and rant about how it was SHE who told Turley to get the MRI.
    Have some fondue, it's delicious.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

What are you guys talking about? Turley was solid at tackle last year. It was our interior line that was causing the problem. Sure Turley is no Orlando Pace but he's a better RT than most teams have.

I see some hold a grudge because he wasn't afraid to voice against the almighty Kurt Warner. Gimme a break.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Do we all really blame Timmerman for the problems last year on the right side? I believe Turley chased Warner out of town.
    I don't remember the problems being on the right side at all. It was the middle of the O-Line that was the weakest.

I do agree that this is a bit overblown and that Grant Williams would be a fine replacement, but I don't think Turley is using this to get out of training camp. A back injury is a serious thing, especially for offensive linemen, and can be re-aggravated easily.

When did Turley ever disrespect the Horns last season? I don't know why Rams fans have such a big problem with him.

moklerman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    But it CAN'T be Turley's fault.....it HAS to be Martz's fault.....right?

I mean, everything bad is Martz's bad, everything good is someone elses...
    Well, if we're going to take an all or nothing attitude, I think I'll be on your side Tex. It CAN'T be Martz's fault....it HAS to be someone else's fault. I mean, the NUMEROUS examples presented by a variety of sources shouldn't be used to notice that a pattern might be developing.

How many different "bad things" does Martz have to be involved in before some it might actually be considered to be true?

As far as Turley goes, I'm undecided about him. I didn't care for him when he was a Saint but actually admired the helmet incident (in the most optimistic of views). I gave him credit for being a fiery guy who wouldn't let anyone abuse his qb. Of course, after the Giants game and all the abuse Warner took, there should have been 10 or 15 helmets thrown by Turley. His statments about Bulger being the starter, etc. didn't set well with me either. Obviously because I didn't agree with them, but also because they seemed kind of out of left field. Here's this guy who hasn't proven anything with the Rams yet, barely been on the team at all and suddenly he's the spokesman for the offense? Something about that whole thing just didn't feel right.

And, as far as him weasling out of training camp I say: "why not"? It'll make for a perfect bookend to Orlando's annual absence. I wonder how much cohesion the line will have compared to last year's opener? With both tackles missing training camp and possibly preseason, I'm sure the protection will be stellar.

moklerman is offline Registered User

I see some hold a grudge because he wasn't afraid to voice against the almighty Kurt Warner. Gimme a break.
    This is an interesting quote. I thought the argument, back when it happened, was that Turley wasn't bad-mouthing Warner he was just supporting Bulger? It seems that someone who isn't pro-Warner agrees with the Warner supporters in retrospect. I also agree that the "Turley's just sticking up for Bulger" was incorrect. I think he was taking a shot at Warner. Not a huge one, but when teammates are outspoken about who should be the starter and they aren't even on the same side of the ball, it doesn't make for a pretty picture.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    Here's this guy who hasn't proven anything with the Rams yet, barely been on the team at all and suddenly he's the spokesman for the offense? Something about that whole thing just didn't feel right.
    Not that I completely disagree, but maybe he was speaking for the offense because everyone else was afraid to come out and say it straightforward. He is an NFLPA representative for the team, afterall.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast