Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    tim
    tim is offline Registered User

PFT rips the Post Dispatch

Whether or not profootballtalk.com has the most accurate information all the time or not I can't say, but at least it's usually a good read.

"REAL" MEDIA WAKES UP ON WEBSTER STORY

Finally, the folks who get paid to cover football for a living are starting to talk about the possibility that Bucs director of player personnel Ruston Webster will land in St. Louis as the team's new General Manager.

And, as usual, there's no mention of the only outlet that has been talking about the story.

In Tuesday's Tampa Tribune, Roy Cummings deftly avoids the obligation to give credit to (gasp) a web site by writing that he has "confirmed" the Rams' interest in Webster.

"Confirmed" is journalist code for "I refuse to give credit to the person who reported this first, but I'd better not take the chance of getting fired by suggesting that I'm breaking this one."

Meanwhile, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch finally has acknowledged the team's interest in Webster, but has opted to bury the item at the very bottom of a column covering miscellaneous topics, beneath riveting items such as Marques Haggans taking a few snaps at quarterback and the dates for the team's next minicamp. Bill Coats of the P-D also uses the "confirmed" device to avoid giving credit for the story.

In five years of covering the NFL on a daily basis, we've never seen a newspaper so deeply in the tank for the local team. It's one thing to spin the news -- it's another thing to ignore it. Indeed, the last time the Post-Dispatch even mentioned the possibility of the Rams retooling the front office, the paper tabbed "highly regarded" scouts Tom Marino and Dave Razzano as potential candidates for the position of pro personnel director.

Since then, the Rams have fired both Marino and Razzano. And the P-D has said J-S about it.

Hey, newspaper guys. Look at your paychecks. They're not signed by the owner of the local NFL team. Independence is one of the most basic qualities of journalism. Without it, you're just part of the P.R. staff of the entity that you cover.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: PFT rips the Post Dispatch

Hey ProFootballTalk, do you know St. Louis is known as the baseball capital? The fans of STL could care less currently about a PR guy. No way the wounds heal that quickly after what this front office put the fans through last year.

Go dig up some "timely" facts like the Texans drafted Mario Williams or something.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I haven't had such high disregard for both sides in a conflict since the Iran/Iraq war.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I agree with the guy. Baseball town or not there are Rams fans that like to know about the team. THey should cover it equally. I agree completely with this!
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    I agree with the guy. Baseball town or not there are Rams fans that like to know about the team. THey should cover it equally. I agree completely with this!
    You aren't old enough to vote yet 16 so wait your turn.

:tongue:

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

No. But in this country we have the Freedom of Speech and Opinion. And thats my opinion.

RamsFan16

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Ahh, the sweet, sweaty, vapid, smell of journalist wanna-bes.

The Dark Fog of Winter Hell has set in.

Ok guys, move along there's nothing to see here.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Re: !st Down Marker ripping the 16th RamFan

Quote Originally Posted by coy bacon
    The Dark Fog of Winter Hell has set in.
    Are you ending a sentence with a preposition? Or was what I just said an example of arrant pedantry up with which you will not put?

I know you like the BlackFishMonger's "Dark Fog" but is fog really dark?

These are questions which should be on any journalist's licensing exam ...

bigredman is offline Registered User

You are wrong txramsfan....St. Louis USED TO BE a baseball town....but they went out and got the Rams and the Blues. Now, I'm not saying that the Cardinals don't hold a longer standing and deeper fan base than their football and hockey counterparts, and even if they do, that has nothing to do with the issue. The only paper in town MUST cover major events about ALL of its professional teams. There should be a beat writer assigned to each team all year. If you want to be considered a major sports town, then act like it. Cities and their papers that take their professional teams for granted end up losing them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Every city has its pecking order when it comes to sports.

In South Florida it goes:

1. Dolphins
    2. Hurricanes (football)
    3. Gators/Seminoles (football)
    4. Jets, Giants or any other football team that has fans down here.
    5. Whichever local team is in the playoffs or on a winning streak (i.e. Heat, Panthers, Marlins)

tim
    tim is offline Registered User

heh... i come back to this thread to see all these deleted posts. didn't know this thread would lead to trouble.

anyways, webster signed with seattle because - according to John Czarnecki of FOXSports - the rams would not give him full control over personnel. doesn't sound too surprising to me. edit: and you probably all know this from the other thread. whoops.
    Last edited by tim; -05-17-2006 at 02:52 AM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman
    St. Louis USED TO BE a baseball town
    I gotta disagree. This town shows no signs of being anything other than a baseball town. Yes, there are huge numbers of Blues and Rams fans, but you'd be hard-pressed to find someone in St. Louis who isn't a Cardinal fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by birgredman
    The only paper in town MUST cover major events about ALL of its professional teams.
    Well, actually the only paper in town MUST sell newspapers (which is becoming harder and harder to do for print journalism). The way they sell papers in St. Louis is to cover everything the Cardinals do every minute of every day.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Re: !st Down Marker ripping the 16th RamFan

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    Are you ending a sentence with a preposition? Or was what I just said an example of arrant pedantry up with which you will not put?

I know you like the BlackFishMonger's "Dark Fog" but is fog really dark?

These are questions which should be on any journalist's licensing exam ...

Arrrgh! I suck! I hate that rule. I love ending sentences with prepositions. And I'm too lazy to do it right! And please don't flay me with my horribly use of adverbs... a curse for mankind upon!

Yes, fog is dark, I'm sure of. You see, my thesis for my PhD focused on the atomic relationship between light and darkness, vis--vis matter combining with anti-matter. Using Schrodinger's wave equation and Maxwell's (Silver Hammer), 3rd equation, I derived a formulae to describe such a relationship. In sum, the direction of light propagation should be changed in a gravitational field. That, and it gets dark just after the sun goes down.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    I gotta disagree. This town shows no signs of being anything other than a baseball town. Yes, there are huge numbers of Blues and Rams fans, but you'd be hard-pressed to find someone in St. Louis who isn't a Cardinal fan. Well, actually the only paper in town MUST sell newspapers (which is becoming harder and harder to do for print journalism). The way they sell papers in St. Louis is to cover everything the Cardinals do every minute of every day.
    You are probably right, I was speaking more as to what idealistically should be the situation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast