tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

PFT: Steven Jackson doesn't think he is being wasted in STL, yet.

Some (including us) have argued in the past that the Rams should consider trading running back Steven Jackson. After all, by the time the Rams put a team around Jackson, he may have nothing left.

The Rams have opted to hold firm, and Jackson isn't complaining. "I understand I'm taking a huge amount of abuse right now, but it's funny, I don't feel like my career's wasting away," Jackson told Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports. "I find inspiration from [Chiefs running back] Thomas Jones. To see him still putting up 1,400 yards rushing at 31, that's tremendous. So I'm not in panic mode."

Still, Jackson isn't coasting, either. He wants to win sooner rather than later, and if it means rookie quarterback Sam Bradford starting as a rookie, then so be it.

"I could see why they'd want to protect their $50 million investment and wait until the offensive line has jelled," Jackson said of the dilemma the coaching staff faces. "But I'm going to be selfish right now, with me being in year seven. If he's the best guy, he needs to play now. I don't want to wait four years like the Packers did with Aaron Rodgers. I don't know if he'll be the best guy, but if he is, I want him in there now."

Jackson is optimistic about the team's passing game, even though Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce are long gone. Jackson specifically likes the talents of two of the team's young wideouts.

Who are they? "[B]elieve it or not, I don't know," Jackson said. "I just know their numbers: No. 15 and No. 83."

It's fitting, given that most people don't know the names of many Rams beside Jackson and Bradford. The real question is whether, by the time we know who more of the Rams are, will anyone still know who Jackson is?

Jackson is right, if Bradford is the best we have then he should play. No doubt about it.

Interesting what he said about the two young WRs, who are Dominique Curry (#15) and Brandon McRae (#83)

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: PFT: Steven Jackson doesn't think he is being wasted in STL, yet.

I love Steven Jackson and this is why. He said everything aboslutely correct there and hes such a underrated beast!

Watch the 2 new WR's be our starters over everyone else. :S

khdude is offline Registered User

You guys shouldn't put too much pressure on Bradford like we did on Smith in 2005, let him slowly develop confidence and proper skills before asking him to hold the entire offense, it's a good thing you guys have Jackson, helluva back you got there.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Don't players still have their names taped to their helmets in camp? C'mon Stevie!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by khdude View Post
    You guys shouldn't put too much pressure on Bradford like we did on Smith in 2005, let him slowly develop confidence and proper skills before asking him to hold the entire offense, it's a good thing you guys have Jackson, helluva back you got there.

I mostly agree with you, but I think it all comes down to the intangibles and the character of the player in question.

Smith might not have dealt with all that pressure in a positive way, but Bradford is a different guy, and he may be better at dealing with the pressure.

Who knows, he might be even worse at dealing with the pressure.

But looking at Bradford, and seeing how he behaves and carries himself, and the way he interacts with this business, I think he has got what it takes to perform under pressure.

It just comes down to who the player really is, and his mental toughness.

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by khdude View Post
    Well you guys have Frank Gore and Vernon Davis
    What you say is quite agreeable but it's most likely we will plan on doing the same method Josh Freeman and Tampa did, I just hope we get more wins through that while you best keep your playoff hopes at bay away from Arizona. The horns and the s'qwaks are on the road to recovery.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

I'm pretty sure steven being who he is. If he thinks bradford should start id say by all means start the guy. If sj39 wants to be receiving hand offs from bradford id say who are we to argue? He has carried oue offense basically since day one. So if he believes in him I say Go Sammy!

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    I'm pretty sure steven being who he is. If he thinks bradford should start id say by all means start the guy. If sj39 wants to be receiving hand offs from bradford id say who are we to argue? He has carried oue offense basically since day one. So if he believes in him I say Go Sammy!
    actually, since SJ's day one, Marshall Faulk was carrying the offense.
    but he definitely stepped up once Faulk's knee flared up and started carrying it. love the guy. hope the 'gellin' get rolling b4 SJ gets any chronic ailments

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by KoaKoi View Post
    actually, since SJ's day one, Marshall Faulk was carrying the offense.
    but he definitely stepped up once Faulk's knee flared up and started carrying it. love the guy. hope the 'gellin' get rolling b4 SJ gets any chronic ailments
    Do u remember faulks last years here? Don't get me wrong I LOVE faulk I own two of his jerseys. He had only about 100 more yard on 60 more attempts stevens rookie year. So just because faulk was still the "starter" when steven came in sj39 was still more effective. So sj has been carrying them since day one essentially. I love faulk he did a lot for us but he didn't have another 1000 yard season since his 2001 year.